Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
the very last thing you will ever use is : A WINCH
* If you are ever that stuck, you are in over your head doing stuff you shouldnt anyway, and if you are doing that hopefully you are doing it with others - and likely if they conned you into doing stupid stuff..... THEY have a winch.....
Judgemental much?

There are plenty of not "over your head" getting stuck situations where a winch can be really handy... but you do you.

A winch is still probably the last thing you "need".
Sponsored

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My advice is use it like it is for at least a few months and note every time you say "I wish I".

I thought I had to have a tailgate table before I took the time to get to know the vehicle, turns out it was a complete waste of money for me and I never use it.
Interesting that you'd mention the tailgate table as something you never use. I have been wanting one pretty bad as it seems like a very useful accessory. When I travel in my Bronco there have been numerous times where I thought, "Man... I wish I had a tailgate table." Such as when I was making sandwiches on my dusty driver's seat in Moab or chopping up watermelon on top of my cooler at Surfside Beach lol!

There is currently a tailgate table shaped box wrapped under our tree that my wife bought, so I highly suspect I won't be wanting for much longer 😆

rws

Wildtrak
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GTI, 2018 Silverado 1500 LT Z71
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm from SE WI, and I can tell you that a winch IS a worthwhile investment. That and a good solid towstrap/tree hugger and maybe some snatch blocks. Forget the recovery boards...the mud gets deep in this part of the country, and you will likely just bury both your truck and your recovery boards. I generally take some flack from folks in the "golden west" for this opinion, but every winch I have ever bought is the best 4x4 dollars I have ever spent...even if only used once! Saves one minor stuck from turning into a day ruining debacle!

EDIT: For the record the most stuck I ever was was in Marseilles IL!
The winch is like insurance... hard to pay for right up until the moment, you need it then it becomes the best investment on the vehicle! I'm starting to save my pennies to get a winch mounded on the front of my Bronco.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
this is impressive. Even if you were one of the first deliveries that’s a ton of miles.
I took delivery 19 Nov 2021, so a year and a week. Just hit 50k today.

Sponsored

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All my mods are necessary… to me.

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am someone who uses a winch for either myself, or someone in my group on a regular basis.
Even if you don't Rock Crawl, I still think they are a good idea. Especially if you find yourself alone, on a muddy trail and are stuck. Traction Boards can only do so much.

There are also times when you are on an off camber hill in the wet and can slide down hill and get stuck. Having a winch, one or 2 snatch blocks and a tree saver may be the only way to extract yourself.
I had to do that for someone else, only a couple of months ago, on a trail that is normally easy, but the wet, combined with crappy tires[very similar to the stock Bronco Goodyears] turned it into a real Pita for that guy. He slid down and managed to get a tree wedged between his rock guard and rear tire. He did not have a winch, and if he was alone, he would have been stuck. It took some Math skills to figure out the angles to extract him.

Just saying no one uses one, because you never use one, and therefore the rest of the world doesn't need one is stupid. Doubling down and underlining your opinion, doesn't make it less dumb.

This aside, From what the OP originally said, I don't think he needs a winch right now. Drive it and figure out how you may end up using it. If you end up being a street only user, that eliminates the need for a ton of stuff and directs you to other stuff.

OP
OP
l88m22vette

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been out and about for a few days with Thanksgiving weekend, but I wanted to say thanks for all the replies and anecdotes. This thread got a lot bigger than expected, and wow there is a ton of good info here 🤯

For the record I have the BFG K02s, which I count as a win!

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's a nice setup and plan, aside from flaps I want to grab a few lights, I'd love some simple round fogs instead of the LED insect eye lights that are so common.

@Bmadda I do want a winch (eventually), I've absolutely been looking with the Black Friday deals, I can tell that having one really is one of the best serious truck mods. I really want something hidden like the Rough County setup, but then I'd have to hack my factory bashplate. I don't have a welder and that's a pretty big step, so it'll take some time for me to make any kind of decision. I like my Modular front and factory rear steel bumpers, so those are staying.

@FuzzyBobMichigan I've got a TT sitting in the garage waiting on parts, which is a 15 year ownership story of its own, and I just traded a 2005 Outback turbo, which was a moneypit and finally turned me off of Subarus. I want my TT running again, your SS sounds very motivational. I'm thinking about IAG steps for the front doors, I'd love a set of the RCI sliders since they work with the factory rails, but that's a cool grand I could put to better use, like a winch. See, I'm making better decisions because of past experiences! 🤦‍♂️

That's so funny, that was going to be one of my first mods, I almost mentioned that in my original post lol

I have a mini-kit going, which is a blanket, shovel, tools/zipties, fuses, first aid kit, and some other small stuff. I've been looking at lists and recommendations online, I'll grab a starter kit sometime soon. I wish Ford had given us more storage space under the floor, and I keep forgetting to check on whether I have the longer factory jack extension.
I'm going to spring for a good powered winch and mount in the future but I agree that if you solo off road it's good to have something. To that effect, I bought a manual winch so if I do get stuck I have at least some way out. Yes, I'm going to sweat my a** off if I ever have to use it but that's also motivation to tread more carefully in the rough stuff.

Sponsored
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Never, I am about 25k into mine.

Southern62

Outer Banks
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Outer Banks 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

FloridaBurgBronco

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2013 F-150 XLT HDPP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Depends on budget and use. My philosophy was I got the Badlands, so it came with skid plates. It also came with both lockers and sway bar DC, rock rails, and wash out floors and vinyl seats. So I added some rear shock skid plates, broncbuster tie rod splints, a kinetic rope and soft shackles, don't get a flat strap recovery rope, buy the good ones. Also added shackles up front since I have the mod bumper, a camera (Aux switch 5) so I can see where the hell I'm going when I crest a hill at 32 degrees. And I've watched a crap tons of videos to try to see what to do and mostly what not to do. I also added unimportant things like a cold air intake and exhaust and a hitch and wiring harness and some really nice DD lights (Aux switch 6). Plans for more, but no new tires ot lift yet, they are new and I will make do for now. Back to the first thing though, budget and use. My mods will mostly be for use not show, some folks will be more for show, not use...maybe most🤷‍♂️.

Wildtrakbill

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4, 2015 GT350, KTM 1190, KTM 890
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Badlands is good for 90% of what I'm going to use it for. I had two lists the WANTS and the NEEDS. I wanted to wait to see what came on the market as new manufactures are coming about every month. I attended SEMA this year and focus on the roof top tents and was amazed at how the accessory market has grown. So far this is what is have added.

Heretic lights - great quality
Rhino Step ups
ARB compressor and air up manifold
Rockslide tail gate table - I use this a lot
Side pocket from Mountains to metal - a must
Front mud flaps - A must
Fast Intentions Axle back exhaust - easiest to install and best sound
And added a decal the the hood as I was getting tired of the glare
And finally ordered the Trailrax
Next a roof top tent and awning

Good luck!!

Joemama

Outer Banks
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am very much a practical guy, but the bug has even bitten me to some extent.
I started with an OBX with Lux and Tow.

received_1670734536661668.jpeg

And ended up with this...

OBX offroad.jpg

IMG_20221019_152453.jpg

IMG_20220910_181104.jpg

50,000 miles later.

HOSS 2.0 Badlands Suspension
Hood Struts
Rims/Tires
Winch
Tow Hooks
HOSS 3.0 Steering Rack
Too many FORSCAN mods
and the list goes on... LOL
[/QUO

how much of a lift do you have on it? what size tires?
Sponsored