Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some people will resist change, no matter what the change. I think the writing is on the wall and Jeep (FCA, Stellani, whatever) is reading it as they roll their PHEV option out across the line. And it will sell at a premium.

I would love to know when the PHEV package is coming. With any luck I may get a very late '21. If the PHEV drops in '24, thats easy, I'm not waiting. If its '22, then I definitely will wait. I'm frankly amazed that they launched without it. The Maverick has a hybrid.
Thinking about it logically, PHEV will drop for the Bronco in '23 with the PHEV new Ranger (which they are talking about 360+ hp, 500+ ft lbs torque, which is awesome).
I'm with you on that, if it was dropping in '22 I'd wait for it... waited this long already. but waiting till '23 or '24 nah. Because with the way things are going on this release that could mean getting it in '25 and I dont want to wait 3-5 years. Better off getting this and trading, selling, keeping or giving it away. But like you said it would be great of Ford would tell us what they are planning so we can adjust as we see fit.

FastAndLight

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, BMW M5, BMW 325iX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The hybrid you want is a possibility at least.. mine is a pipe dream. Diesel/electric Bronco. Good enough for submarines, why not a Bronco?
Does anyone offer a setup like that on a car or truck? I don't think I've ever heard of one.

Submarines, trains, and most other vehicles that use a diesel- electric combo like that use the diesel engine as a generator feeding the electric motors, which provide 100% of the motive force. At that point you are talking about something more like a REX on the i3 (I think, I haven't looked at that system in depth). I'm not sure if diesel is the most efficient small package generator, but maybe there is a case to be made there, or maybe its the worst of both worlds. You still need big batteries because your generator can't match peak power consumption of the motors, and you are also hauling around a fossil fuel powered generator. The advantage is that your generator can run very close to peak efficiency all the time and you get many of the electric benefits. I'm not sure how those different considerations play out in the real world given the practical engineering challenges. Do you know if the BMW i3 with REX has been successful? Are they continuing that idea? I don't think so. I think they are cancelling that car for something else (as a BMW guy I should know, but I don't much care for most of the new stuff they are cranking out).

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've never understood the appeal of an off-road purposed SUV that is electrified. The technology just isn't there to provide all the power that would be used in an off-road setting without needing to recharge. Idling for 30-45 minutes out on the trail waiting for others to run the obstacle you still have to get over, plug-in coolers, using the vehicle to charge other appliances, and the list goes on and on. A hybrid I could more easily understand. But, I will also tell you this. I will not buy an EV or Plug-in Hybrid that I cannot fully charge in the same amount of time that I fill my gas tank. People who like EVs love to talk about how much more efficient an electrified vehicle is at converting energy but yet, the elephant in the room is charge time (which is about as efficient as a snail trying to do a burnout). I shouldn't even have to wait 30 minutes for 100 miles of charge. I shouldn't have to pay extra for an EV to get the same mileage (considered extended range in the EV world) between recharges that my ICE vehicle can do. When they release an EV that can FULLY charge from empty to full in 3 minutes with the same range that an ICE vehicle has standard, I would consider one for an off-road purposed vehicle. If I was Ford, until the EV/Hybrid technology is at that level, I would never defile a Bronco with that crap, lol. And, they better give me an outdoor stereo system in that EV vehicle that could convince myself and others I'm driving a big V8. I'm not driving any pssst vehicle. I wanna hear it rumble, even if it is a lie.

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does anyone offer a setup like that on a car or truck? I don't think I've ever heard of one.

Submarines, trains, and most other vehicles that use a diesel- electric combo like that use the diesel engine as a generator feeding the electric motors, which provide 100% of the motive force. At that point you are talking about something more like a REX on the i3 (I think, I haven't looked at that system in depth). I'm not sure if diesel is the most efficient small package generator, but maybe there is a case to be made there, or maybe its the worst of both worlds. You still need big batteries because your generator can't match peak power consumption of the motors, and you are also hauling around a fossil fuel powered generator. The advantage is that your generator can run very close to peak efficiency all the time and you get many of the electric benefits. I'm not sure how those different considerations play out in the real world given the practical engineering challenges. Do you know if the BMW i3 with REX has been successful? Are they continuing that idea? I don't think so. I think they are cancelling that car for something else (as a BMW guy I should know, but I don't much care for most of the new stuff they are cranking out).

2021 Volvo XC90; the original concept years ago had a turbodiesel FWD with electric RWD for a combined AWD.

I would rather a straight diesel Bronco, but EVs and Hybrids are here to stay.

Sponsored

FastAndLight

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2021 Volvo XC90; the original concept years ago had a turbodiesel FWD with electric RWD for a combined AWD.

Cool. What also caught my eye there was using the engine to drive 2 of the wheels and electric motors to drive the other 2. Seems Volvo likes that setup. That wasn't a design I had thought about before. Basically, take your existing FWD platform and make it "hybrid" by just adding an electrified rear differential and battery pack. The front stuff stays the same for the whole model lineup. Its an interesting idea. Off road I imagine that setup would be less than ideal. I imagine Ford is going to put the motor in the auto transmission as they have before. Seems like a design that is working for them.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is known as a series hybrid system, commonly marketed as an extended range EV. Question for any rotary engine fans out there - since you can setup the gas motor to run at peak efficiency when operating as a generator is there now an advantage to using a rotary for this?

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since Ford just announced they are dropping the diesel in the F150 it looks like we won't be getting one in the Bronco

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
A hybrid with better gas mileage will really interest me. I might even hold off waiting for one. I don't really want one full electric although a hybrid that would pull mid twenties for MPG would really get my attention.

FastAndLight

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is known as a series hybrid system, commonly marketed as an extended range EV. Question for any rotary engine fans out there - since you can setup the gas motor to run at peak efficiency when operating as a generator is there now an advantage to using a rotary for this?
Mazda is doing this for the MX-30 hybrid.
https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/electric/mx-30-electric-hybrid

They even call it out as a series hybrid. I think it will be interesting to read the reviews and owner experiences with that car.

For the Bronco, Ford has a good bit of history of putting the hybrid motor right in the 10sp auto transmission. That also allows them to have minimal changes to the 4wd and other complex mechanical systems. I think everything is pointing to that setup.

Maybe for the "fully" electric version they offer some sort of series hybrid to mitigate the substantial range anxiety of people taking it off-road. I guess you lose your frunk by putting your generator there.

Sponsored

Mike777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A hybrid with better gas mileage will really interest me. I might even hold off waiting for one. I don't really want one full electric although a hybrid that would pull mid twenties for MPG would really get my attention.
Actually mid 20's would probably be considered a failure for Ford. You have to do better then the 25 miles you get on just electric power or 49 MPGe for Jeep. You have to be competitive with that. I understand the Bronco getting less MPG then the wrangler b/c of the larger tires etc. They have little wiggle room for a PHEV vehicle though.

I was very curious about getting a 4xe before Bronco but didnt make sense to me at this time since Bronco features were way past Jeep. This is coming from a previous Wranlger owner btw.

Its all pipe dream anyways since we wont see anything for a long time considering its taken them way to long to get their current Bronco's out of MAP.

ReimundKrohn

Big Bend
First Name
Reimund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rav-4, 2005 F-150 Lariat, 2005 PT GT Conv
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Rather than asking when Ford will invest in engineering new Bronco variants, shouldn’t we be asking when they will finish engineering the current models we have deposits on?

Asking about you, 2 door with MIC top.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Rather than asking when Ford will invest in engineering new Bronco variants, shouldn’t we be asking when they will finish engineering the current models we have deposits on?

Asking about you, 2 door with MIC top.
I would guess that the MIC top issues are on a different plane than hybrid/EV R&D.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Include me as one and I would have gladly purchased it over a combustion engine. Combustion is the past…as this will probably be the last ICE vehicle I buy.
You're thinking you won't have combustion with the EVs?

General Motors is telling owners of 2017-2019 Bolt EVs that were part of a recent recall not to park their vehicles inside or charge them unattended overnight after two of the vehicles caught fire.

The two Bolt EVs were repaired as part of a recall of nearly 69,000 of the vehicles that were flagged for fire risks. The recall was initially announced in November by GM and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The recent fires, including one where a Bolt owned by a Vermont lawmaker spontaneously caught fire while charging at home earlier this month, reportedly occurred after the vehicles had been fixed for the recall.

Sandbergo

Outer Banks
First Name
Jelani & Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So question for all of you hybrid/ev guys, the Bronco is a designed and intended for off-road use so I am wondering how much of a strain from off-roading would it be on the battery? Some will use them for rock crawling, what happens if the battery gets punctured? Also, I have heard that the range is drastically impacted by both High and Low temps, have there been improvements? I’m not against EV’s or hybrids but I don’t want it to be the only option, let people choose what they want. Lastly, I do not see them making the Warthog/Raptor an EV or Hybrid they will likely have some special edition for the Hybrid. Just my opinion.
Sponsored