Sponsored

When will Bronco become a real threat to Jeep?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I never said my opinion is fact...I am using facts to support my opinion. I sincerely want Bronco to succeed. But like Han Solo said "I got a bad feeling about this"
Sponsored

rjkmoto

Black Diamond
First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Dodge Challenger Hemi 392 Scatpack Shaker, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So is the Xbox Series X is gonna be way better than PS5 ....

?

JK

Last edited:

RedneckBronco

First Edition
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Bronco, 2012 F250, 1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Everyone needs to temper their expectations. The new Bronco will compete with Jeep from Launch. We can argue in this scenario all day long.

The bottom line is in trails, mudding, desert running and situations other than hard heavy duty rock climbing they will compete with the Bronco and Jeep about even in some the Bronco ahead in some ways and the Jeep winning some. I LOVE SFAs however the only situation in which they are undeniably superior will be rock crawling in extreme.

For all the Chatter my 89 TTB Bronco has done virtually every trail in Moab including the Rim. The new Bronco should do the same. Yes it was easier on the Jeeps and it was easier in my 72 Bronco. But it can be done. On the flip side I take my 89 running through the desert jumping and bounding over whoops at 70 MPH + and my Jeep friends try to keep up but where as the Bronco handles it smoothly they get thrown around more.

I have owned a couple Jeeps, a TJ , YJ and JL,, the last with a pair of Dana 60s, King coilovers and shocks, 12v Cummins , atlas transfer case and a nv4500 transmission.. But I found for me I like my 72 Bronco better so I took the Dana 60s, atlas, tranny and engine out of the Jeep, put it back to stock and put those components on the Bronco and I roll that around now if I want to hit climbing. The Jeep isn't bad just I prefered my old school Bronco.

What is important and true is that as Broncos compete with Jeeps, Jeeps will get better and more competitively priced, as Jeeps get better Broncos will get better in response. So the bottom line is that everyone will come out a winner. I look at the people I go wheeling with as a community I have loved the Bronco since I was kneehigh to a grasshopper. But I also like Jeeps, and Samurais, K5 Blazers, Ram chargers, Land Rovers and the original H-1. At the end of the day it's about having fun and respecting your fellow offroaders.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Everyone needs to temper their expectations. The new Bronco will compete with Jeep from Launch. We can argue in this scenario all day long.

The bottom line is in trails, mudding, desert running and situations other than hard heavy duty rock climbing they will compete with the Bronco and Jeep about even in some the Bronco ahead in some ways and the Jeep winning some. I LOVE SFAs however the only situation in which they are undeniably superior will be rock crawling in extreme.

For all the Chatter my 89 TTB Bronco has done virtually every trail in Moab including the Rim. The new Bronco should do the same. Yes it was easier on the Jeeps and it was easier in my 72 Bronco. But it can be done. On the flip side I take my 89 running through the desert jumping and bounding over whoops at 70 MPH + and my Jeep friends try to keep up but where as the Bronco handles it smoothly they get thrown around more.

I have owned a couple Jeeps, a TJ , YJ and JL,, the last with a pair of Dana 60s, King coilovers and shocks, 12v Cummins , atlas transfer case and a nv4500 transmission.. But I found for me I like my 72 Bronco better so I took the Dana 60s, atlas, tranny and engine out of the Jeep, put it back to stock and put those components on the Bronco and I roll that around now if I want to hit climbing. The Jeep isn't bad just I prefered my old school Bronco.

What is important and true is that as Broncos compete with Jeeps, Jeeps will get better and more competitively priced, as Jeeps get better Broncos will get better in response. So the bottom line is that everyone will come out a winner. I look at the people I go wheeling with as a community I have loved the Bronco since I was kneehigh to a grasshopper. But I also like Jeeps, and Samurais, K5 Blazers, Ram chargers, Land Rovers and the original H-1. At the end of the day it's about having fun and respecting your fellow offroaders.

Well put, kudos !!(y)

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
On the flip side I take my 89 running through the desert jumping and bounding over whoops at 70 MPH + and my Jeep friends try to keep up but where as the Bronco handles it smoothly they get thrown around more.
My XJ takes like 3 freeway exits to hit 70 on asphalt... Not sure I'd go over whoops in it :D lol. The canam would be great for it though..

Sponsored

AK0311

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Jeep Renegade TH and a 97 Kawasaki Vulcan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So when and what will it take for the Bronco to become a real threat to Jeep's market share?

Will FCA/Jeep be watching the Bronco reveal or product release and start copying features with a goal of introducing them in a year or two to try and alleviate some lost sales?

Will FCA/Jeep try to improve their quality to compete with the higher perceived quality of Ford?

Will FCA/Jeep drop their prices to compete?

If any of these scenarios come true it will be good for us Bronco buyers as we know that competition keeps prices down and increases innovation.
FCA has had my households money since 07. The last three years their service depts have driven us away. The 17 Renegade we have will be the last. I wanted a Wrangler Rubicon for years. Was going to order one after seeing the Gladiator was too big for what I wanted. Then, with the issues at the dealers, I refuse to give them any more money. Have money down on a Bronco. The wife's on board to trade the Rene for an EcoSport later this year too.

We're just one household that FCA has pissed off, so I expect the Bronco to make a good dent in Wrangler sales.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford had to start with credibility. While I will never go off road, they started with the credibility of being tough and capable - I like it. I don't think they are aiming to be the next Jeep anymore than Jeep thinks the galdiator can topple the F150. I think they are already a threat because they are competition that hasn't really been around for a while. Jeep is probably scrambling to catch up a bit, but they aren't going anywhere until the fashion statement of suburban Jeep ownership fades. Hopefully Bronco can achieve some of that panache to go along with the credibility.

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My biggest concern is how are all these Jeep owners going to feel and treat Bronco owners on the trails. Ive already had Jeep owners at my work talk a lot of trash on the Bronco after I tried talking to them about offroading. It felt like they thought I was stealing their thunder.

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just like Harley riders.

I look at but this way 2 down don't matter life is good.

Harley posers, look at me on my Busa or Hurricane (not realizing Fat Boy cruiser in garage) turn their head and scoff..me release clutch and roll off.

Jeep people are the same, mostly good to have fun, camaraderie and be just another person, then comes the mall crawl poser...jeepers dont even like them!

Moparguy

Outer Banks
First Name
Mansour
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 MX5 GT - 2010 MX5 T
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The pie will get bigger but Jeep been doing this for so long, One thing Jeep did recently is the 392 teaser which I am confident it's coming up soon, a Wrangler/Gladiator with 6.4L V8, that's gonna be a crazy car to compete with, I've always wanted a Wrangler but just for daily driving but never considered pulling the trigger, with the Bronco I was sold because of the looks, I still have a budget and a list of things to add, if that exceed my budget I am skipping.

Sponsored

Visioneer

Wildtrak
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Paceman JCW
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I made several trips to the Jeep dealer sizing up my Rubicon purchase. Surprisingly the salesman tried to encourage me to buy the Ram 1500 Night Edition instead. To him, the Jeep was expensive and rides horribly. His opinion and it didn't matter I wanted the Jeep. I heard rumors about the Bronco launch and checked it out. I've not been back to Jeep since and the Bronco purchase is a done deal. I'm not an off-roader but plan to give it a try...mostly its a very cool daily driver. So yes, I think FCA will take at least a short-term market hit.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I made several trips to the Jeep dealer sizing up my Rubicon purchase. Surprisingly the salesman tried to encourage me to buy the Ram 1500 Night Edition instead. To him, the Jeep was expensive and rides horribly. His opinion and it didn't matter I wanted the Jeep. I heard rumors about the Bronco launch and checked it out. I've not been back to Jeep since and the Bronco purchase is a done deal. I'm not an off-roader but plan to give it a try...mostly its a very cool daily driver. So yes, I think FCA will take at least a short-term market hit.
Wow that salesman was a DA, you came in, you already had a vehicle in mind, a vehicle with very high profit margin, and he steers you toward a totally different class. It’s one thing if you came in looking for Caravan and he wanted to put you into something with a higher profit margin... but jeez.

stickshifter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma (1975 FJ-40, 1978 CJ-7, 2008 JKU)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Jeep will have to step up their game to compete against the Bronco. Jeep needs to make the following changes to the Wrangler:
1. An option from the factory for the 5.7 Hemi (the 392 is overkill in my humble opinion)
2. Fix the damn steering by upgrading the power steering pump, the drag link and tie rods, and the ball joints. This isn't rocket science - all the parts are available in the aftermarket - but owners should not have to upgrade all these things themselves in order to avoid or fix death wobble.
3. An option from the factory for Dana Spicer 60 axles. This would be a pricey upgrade, but if you could get it from the factory it would be much cheaper than doing it aftermarket. If you have the 5.7 Hemi and are planning on 37's this would be a sensible upgrade (I upgraded my front axle on my JK when I was running 35s). Not only are the Dana Spicer 60s super-strong, they also come with 14-inch brake rotors. Stopping is good.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Jeep will have to step up their game to compete against the Bronco. Jeep needs to make the following changes to the Wrangler:
1. An option from the factory for the 5.7 Hemi (the 392 is overkill in my humble opinion)
2. Fix the damn steering by upgrading the power steering pump, the drag link and tie rods, and the ball joints. This isn't rocket science - all the parts are available in the aftermarket - but owners should not have to upgrade all these things themselves in order to avoid or fix death wobble.
3. An option from the factory for Dana Spicer 60 axles. This would be a pricey upgrade, but if you could get it from the factory it would be much cheaper than doing it aftermarket. If you have the 5.7 Hemi and are planning on 37's this would be a sensible upgrade (I upgraded my front axle on my JK when I was running 35s). Not only are the Dana Spicer 60s super-strong, they also come with 14-inch brake rotors. Stopping is good.
If Jeep did those 3 things it would turn me to Jeep, and I’ve never really been a big fan, but V8, D60s, normal steering system would be a game changer.
Sponsored