78CreamBrownie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Been lurking here for a while and finally decided to register. I am about 80% sure I will be ordering one the day the order banks open, but I am just confused as to where this fits in Ford's line up.

To me a Bronco should only have 2 doors, but I would assume that is not going to be the case. I hope the 2 door model will be available but I assume Ford will focus on the 4 door model. If it has 4 doors, does it cannibalize the Edge, Explorer or even the Expedition unit sales. Since it is going to be based on the Ranger and the shadow is much larger than the baby bronco it looks to be a larger SUV. I just cannot see how Ford can have so many similar options without killing off some of them.

I am very excited for the new Bronco.
Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's why the mechanical differences need to be substantial. So many other models of similar proportion is the main thing that gives me hope for a V8, solid axles, a manual transmission, and lockers. Body shape alone isn't enough to warrant models of a similar size. Trim and styling theme help them appeal to different buyers, but objective mechanical and performance differences are what will transform that interest into sales.

As for size, we don't know how small the baby/Maverick/Puma is, so knowing that the Bronco is X% larger doesn't say much. We do know that the Bronco will ride on some version of the T6 platform the Ranger uses for a chassis, and the Ranger (and Everest) is 73" wide. Compared to the Explorer (79), F150 (80) and Expedition (84) they're modest in size, but compared to the 1st gen Bronco (69) its a bit pudgy. For length we can probably expect something shorter than the 4-door Wrangler (118), and maybe even the Explorer (113), Everest (112) or 4Runner (110), but the 2-door Wrangler (97) will probably be a close one to beat, even for the 2-door Bronco.

OP
OP
78CreamBrownie

78CreamBrownie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I see that the Explorer is front wheel drive so that is a huge difference in MPG and functionality. I agree with you in the fact that this has to have solid axes, manual and lockers, but I just don't see the need for the V8 in a mid size bronco. I would love that and It would make it stand out but since it's based on the new Ranger and there is no V8 option on it, i just don't see than happening. They need to shove it into the Wrangler space and be patient because there is plenty of room for a Wrangler competitor.

My kids are 17 and 13, by the time the Bronco is released one of them will be out of the house and in college and the other not far behind, so a 2 door Bronco is what I want and will buy if it's offered.

007-FJC

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser, 4Runner, Lexus LS, V8 Cressida
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The New Bronco will be made to fit in my garage. The hell with Ford's other cars.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I see that the Explorer is front wheel drive so that is a huge difference in MPG and functionality. ...
The new Explorer slated to be released in Q1 2019 is a rear wheel drive platform (one it shares with the new Lincoln Aviator I think). Probably still independent suspension.

The current Explorer has an optional 365HP 3.5L V6, and the new one has potentially a 400HP 3.0L V6 (police interceptor variant anyway) which is shared with Lincolns. For has stated the intention of developing performance trims for the new explorer, so the HO 3L or another HO 3.5L seems likely.

Sponsored

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well it's supposed to be a vehicle to compete with Jeep's Wrangler. The Wrangler really has no competition here in the states. It's supposed to separate it's self from the rest of the lineup by being a truly off-road performing SUV. As they said “Bronco will be a no-compromise midsize 4x4 utility for thrill seekers who want to venture way beyond the city.”

It sounds like it will have both two and four doors. Either way it's still supposed to be a SUV built for off-road and that's a segment of the Ford line up that isn't there right now.

Rocket

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150, 1978 Bronco, 2022 Bronco, 2022 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Bronco needs to stay true to its heritage 2 doors, body on solid frame, solid axles and a real transfer case with removable roof.; I have confidence Ford will get it right.......the Mustang is true to its heritage..........the Bronco will be built Ford Proud

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While I think most of us here want a real direct competitor for the Wrangler in the new Bronco, I'm not entirely sure that's what Ford is thinking. I've seen quotes where they want to take on the brand, Jeep, but not the Wrangler specifically. The one interview with a named Ford exec/manager that does mention competing with the Wrangler had an important exception "except for the rock crawling" -- and that is one of the functional defining qualities that differentiates the Wrangler from all the other "off road" vehicles out there.

To me that could mean the Bronco would more directly compete with something like the Toyota 4Runner, which isn't bad, but it's not what the public is expecting based on all the articles and public discussion out there right now. It just doesn't make sense to me that Ford would try to make the Bronco another high-speed style off-roader when they already have that in the F150 and Ranger Raptors -- the thing they're missing is the technical, articulating, crawler. The question is, how hard are they going to try to compete, and in which space?

Ford has done as impressive job of keeping things hush-hush about the Bronco and what qualities it will have, but at some point that is going to come back to bite them. If they fail to reveal their vision of what the Bronco will not only look like, but what features and qualities it has, the fandom/community will run wild with speculation ... and the expectations will far exceed what is going to be delivered. That is going to result in some angry disappointment ... maybe not Chevy Blazer levels, but it will hurt Ford and the potential for the Bronco.

OP
OP
78CreamBrownie

78CreamBrownie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The one interview with a named Ford exec/manager that does mention competing with the Wrangler had an important exception "except for the rock crawling"
Can you link me that article? I would love to read it.

I agree, the bronco needs to go head to head with the Wrangler. I own a new JL and have owned 3 other Wranglers since 2001 and I want a real competitor to it. The reason I am curious as to where it fits in its line up because once their line up gets over crowded models get dropped and I don't want this to be a 3-5 year experiment for Ford.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can you link me that article? I would love to read it. ...
"For Jeep, it’s all about rock crawling in Moab, but our premise is completely different," Jim Farley, Ford’s executive vice president and president of global markets said about the Bronco earlier this year. "We want to give people true off-road vehicles that are comfortable at higher speeds, on two-track trails and do well in deep sand on the beach. And they don’t want their SUVs to look like doomsday vehicles or have spartan, government-issued interiors."

Read more: https://autoweek.com/article/rumorm...-seven-speed-manual-report-says#ixzz5YlYZMTF0
The emphasis above is mine. This is the quote that stood out, but I think I read it somewhere else before. The one with that wording quoted above eludes me, but it could have been someones mix of Farley's quote and something from the anonymous leaker from this article: https://gearpatrol.com/2017/07/18/exclusive-leaked-details-on-new-ford-bronco/

In any case, Ford isn't making the picture any clearer about what their vision for the Bronco is.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
In any case, Ford isn't making the picture any clearer about what their vision for the Bronco is.
If it doesn't have solid axles (and I agree, from what I've read from Ford, it probably won't),
I just don't see the point of it. Is it going to be better at high speed running than the Raptor?
(unlikely due to WB alone).

And it won't be better than the wrangler for many other unique things, like crawling, or ease of susp mods/V8
conversion, or completely removing entire top (again, from what we are told so far), etc...............

OP
OP
78CreamBrownie

78CreamBrownie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The emphasis above is mine. This is the quote that stood out, but I think I read it somewhere else before. The one with that wording quoted above eludes me, but it could have been someones mix of Farley's quote and something from the anonymous leaker from this article: https://gearpatrol.com/2017/07/18/exclusive-leaked-details-on-new-ford-bronco/

Thanks for the two articles, I had not seen the one from GearPatrol. I can see their point about two-track trails driving on the beach vs a Moab machine.

I would hope the new Bronco could at least make it through something like Fins & Things or Gemini Bridges in Moab. From his comments I wouldnt want to try Hell's Revenge or worse unless things changed before release.

I would assume the Rubicon trail is a no go without some serious mods to the Bronco. Steel bumpers, 40s, new axels, skid plates and rock rails sounds like would needed at a minimum. The Bronco needs to be selling like crazy early on for those mods to be available, so I am not sure those mods will be available any time soon.

007-FJC

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If the new bronco would use the similar formula as a FJ or 4Runner then it'll make it through fins and things without a hiccup. I do like having a swiss army knife 4x4. Being able to cruise at a solid 80mph in my FJ after beating it up off road is a very nice luxury. After driving a Jeep Rubicon for 200 miles, I wasn't impressed with the constant corrections and the horrible ride both offroad and on. I wouldn't want that from the new bronco either unless it costs 20-30 grand.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If the new bronco would use the similar formula as a FJ or 4Runner then it'll make it through fins and things without a hiccup. I do like having a swiss army knife 4x4. Being able to cruise at a solid 80mph in my FJ after beating it up off road is a very nice luxury. After driving a Jeep Rubicon for 200 miles, I wasn't impressed with the constant corrections and the horrible ride both offroad and on. I wouldn't want that from the new bronco either unless it costs 20-30 grand.
Went wheeling moderately hard trails (blue/blacks) @ Rausch creek recently with a bunch of
newer Toys. Most were daily drivers on 35ish tires. Spent most of the day replacing
birfields and these guys were not really getting after it. I guess they will eventually have
RCV's for the new bronc, no matter what front axle it gets, but I haven't been impressed
with ind front suspensions at all.

007-FJC

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I haven't blew out a CV axle since my VatoZone chinese crap on my old 4Runner in Hollister Hills a few years ago. I foolishly replaced my OEM axles to avoid rebooting my old axles and paid the price. I replaced my FJ's old OEM 125,000 mile CV axles with Lotus design CVs a few months ago because my CV boots were tearing and I wanted to upgrade the CVs to put up with the front locker torture. I took apart my old CVs and inspected them only to find no degradation whatsoever. I installed new boots and put them away for emergency trail repairs. Now if an operator doesn't know how to keep from overstressing CVs at max droop full lock in a sticky situation, then you'll get carnage. I've helped replace axle shafts in solid axle Jeeps and Toyotas on the trail and no OEM axle is going to be 100% bullet proof on a modded rig.

I'm more than confident that the Dana IFS will do very well offroad in the Bronco and Ranger. The whole IFS is weak as glass theory is a boogie man story. OEMs push these components beyond their limits when designing them for off-road use. Toyota and Fourwheeler magazine ran two 5th gen 4Runners and a FJ Cruiser with nothing more than rock sliders and beefier treads through the rubicon trail and then sent one of the 4Runners to race in baja with the same driveline. Theres plenty of guys on youtube like Expedition Overland and SwellRunner to name a couple who tow trailers over rough terrain with no CV failures. You guys wait till I get my Bronco. I'll beat the living crap out of it and get it all on video just to prove a point.
Sponsored