Sponsored

Where does the Bronco fit in Ford's Lineup

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Now if an operator doesn't know how to keep from overstressing CVs at max droop full lock in a sticky situation, then you'll get carnage.
Don't shoot the messenger dude. Had three go in 5 hours and these guys make it sound like it happens all the time.
And why would I ever want a rig that I have to worry about your above statement. If my axles can't handle trashing
on 42/43's for multiple days in a row (and they have for 15 years, save one diff casing), they gotta go.

You guys wait till I get my Bronco. I'll beat the living crap out of it and get it all on video just to prove a point.
Never understood, buying a rig for 40 or 50 grand, dumping another 10-20 into it, and then going and trashing it.

I'm sure the new bronc will be great at pre-running type trails, but like ford said, it won't be tops
at hard core rock crawling.
Sponsored

OP
OP
78CreamBrownie

78CreamBrownie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am sure most of you have already read this, but it answers my question as to where it fits.

Positioning:
  • Slotting below the Ford Expedition, the only remaining Ford SUV on a body-on-frame platform
  • In that way, the 2020 Bronco would effectively be taking the place of the Ford Explorer when the Explorer switched from a body-on-frame SUV to a unibody crossover utility vehicle (CUV) in 2011
  • Be positioned as an SUV variant of the upcoming 2019 Ford Ranger

http://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford/ford-bronco/2020-ford-bronco/

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Be positioned as an SUV variant of the upcoming 2019 Ford Ranger
I really question this part. Other than sharing the T6 chassis platform and a few obvious parts like transmission and base engine, we don't know that the Ranger and Bronco will be anything alike. The Troller T4 could share just as much with the Ranger as the Bronco does -- basically nothing that matters beyond "a sturdy frame".

The Ranger looks absolutely nothing like any heritage Bronco design, and the silhouettes we've seen would indicate that the Bronco will, so they aren't going to share any body panels.

The wheelbase of the Ranger is way too long (at least 24" too long) for a 2-door Bronco, which we know is coming -- so the version of the T6 that at least the 2-door is on will be shorter, and there is no reason to think it wouldn't be just as short as the 4-door Everest for the 4-door Bronco, which is 15 inches shorter than the Ranger. So even that "shared platform" is going to be significantly different between the Ranger and Bronco -- not exactly a direct SUV variant thereof.

If all the body work is different, and the chassis is being sized differently, might as well make the suspension and axles different too since nothing they're attached to or moving around is the same anyway -- same for engine, seats, etc. I'm sure a bunch of parts will be shared, just because that's cheaper to manufacture, but there will be plenty of opportunity for differences.

007-FJC

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser, 4Runner, Lexus LS, V8 Cressida
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Don't shoot the messenger dude. Had three go in 5 hours and these guys make it sound like it happens all the time.
And why would I ever want a rig that I have to worry about your above statement. If my axles can't handle trashing
on 42/43's for multiple days in a row (and they have for 15 years, save one diff casing), they gotta go.

Never understood, buying a rig for 40 or 50 grand, dumping another 10-20 into it, and then going and trashing it.

I'm sure the new bronc will be great at pre-running type trails, but like ford said, it won't be tops
at hard core rock crawling.
First off, the only way you'll get 40s on an IFS vehicle is with a long travel and sheet metal mods unless you do one of those idiotic show off lifts. Secondly, with any 4x4 you never give it the beans. This is common sense. In regards to blowing CVs, again if you even believe CVs just break on these rigs then you're delusional. Yes CVs have to be operated correctly and with an OEM CV or beefy CV you'll have very few if any kinds of problems. If the CV boot stops doing its job then the CV is compromised. I guarantee you people who've busted multiple CVs used a generic $50 parts store axle. You get what you pay for.

Now you're saying you don't get why anyone would spend lots of money on a 4x4 then customize it for their priorities and go use it for said intended design and purpose? Well believe it or not a 4x4 was actually designed to be uzed offroad. If people that can't drive are breaking their rigs, its not a design flaw its operator error. Again, theres plenty of well documented rigs out there in the YouTube lands driving through hard terrain with loaded rigs pulling trailers in harsh conditions internationally and cross country all on the same factory installed axles. These are people who drive their rigs offroad days, weeks and months compared to your average weekend warrior who romps around an offroad park for a day.

If IFS trucks are crossing the Rubicon trail, the holy grail of rocky trails without breaking CVs, then you can sleep easy knowing the Bronco will do just fine.

OP
OP
78CreamBrownie

78CreamBrownie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Grey Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes I am quoting myself :shock:

Thanks for the two articles, I had not seen the one from GearPatrol. I can see their point about two-track trails driving on the beach vs a Moab machine.

I would hope the new Bronco could at least make it through something like Fins & Things or Gemini Bridges in Moab. From his comments I wouldnt want to try Hell's Revenge or worse unless things changed before release.

I would assume the Rubicon trail is a no go without some serious mods to the Bronco. Steel bumpers, 40s, new axels, skid plates and rock rails sounds like would needed at a minimum. The Bronco needs to be selling like crazy early on for those mods to be available, so I am not sure those mods will be available any time soon.
The TFL guys have the new Ranger at MOAB doing Fins & Things. They posted a video showing why the Ranger they had cost 45k+ and at the end they show it going up one of the more difficult obstacles on the trail. While this is not the new Bronco, it gives me hope that the Ranger with a rear solid axe and IFS in the front that Ford is understating the capability until they can get it throughly tested.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hmm that's a promising statement. I hadn't seen this before, thanks. It may not get a solid front axle but this is promising that it will have at least something capable.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here's a phrase from an old interview that was around the time of the 2017 Ranger/Bronco introduction announcement I haven't seen before.

Jim Farley said:
"We have a rock solid foundation and we have seen growth in key areas, but we know we must evolve to be even more competitive, and narrow our full line of nameplates in all markets, to a more focused lineup that delivers stronger, more profitable growth, with better returns," Jim Farley, Ford's president of global markets, said in a statement.

Farley said that means focusing on performance SUVs and “authentic off-roaders.” He said that’s a space Ford can get higher profits even in a crowded utility field.

He said Ford would scale back on car offerings in North America and Europe.

“We’ve made a lot of progress under One Ford, but it isn’t enough,” he said. “We’re pivoting away from a full line, all-market approach."
https://www.autonews.com/article/20...bility-to-take-300m-bite-out-of-2017-earnings

Is this just a reference to dropping sedans in favor of crossovers in the small and fuel efficient market space? Or does it mean a genuine delve into the off-road-performance space as one that is more profitable, which Jeep has been reaping with its Wrangler and Trailhawk / Trail Rated models?

The article is mostly about finances, but that could be the internal corporate driving force behind a vehicle functionality/philosophy design shift.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Some more details about the new Escape came out yesterday:

http://fordauthority.com/2019/01/2020-ford-escape-nearly-camo-free/
Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}

This vehicle along with the baby-Bronco/Maverick/Puma will share a structural platform, and slot in below the Bronco, filling the role of a more compact/efficient commuter/multipurpose vehicle.

Ignoring most of the body shape, and just noting the proportion of the wheelbase of this platform relative to the occupant (and door length distribution), it would seem to reinforce the estimates that put the Bronco at a very competitive size with Wranglers.

Hopefully the official launch event for the Explorer in 4 days will tell us more about the Bronco too. The Explorer should slot in over the Bronco in size (it is said to have grown 10" compared to the current Explorer, and has by default 3-row seating). It will most likely share some powertrain components, such as the 3.3L V6 hybrid, and hopefully the 3.0L V6 Ecoboost.

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

(it is said to have grown 10" compared to the current Explorer, and has by default 3-row seating)
Wow that is a significant amount. That's almost as long as the Expedition. I suppose that means they are relying on the Edge and possibly the four door Bronco to fill the space of the Explorer occupies now.

As for the new Escape..yuck :puke:. I suppose they are just going for economical but it sure don't look like much to me. Vision in it looks like it will be nice though with that low hood and big windshield. Looks like a cheap Tesla Model X.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow that is a significant amount. That's almost as long as the Expedition. I suppose that means they are relying on the Edge and possibly the four door Bronco to fill the space of the Explorer occupies now. ...
Like many models, the Explorer is growing in size as it ages. And yeah, it will be the same size as the Expedition now, just a few inches lower in height, and the rest of the numbers are basically the same, except for the wheelbase.

Even today's Explorer is 15" longer and 9" wider than the first gen. Sadly, I expect the new Bronco to be a bit larger than the first gen Explorer too, it had a 112" wheelbase (102" 2-door), and 70" width. :facepalm:

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where does the Bronco fit in Ford's Lineup
Here are some slides from Jim Baumbick's (Ford VP Enterprise Product Line Management) given to the Bank of America Merrill Lynch 2019 Auto Summit. It's a bit more qualitative than quantitative, but still has enough to be suggestive:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/42...rica-merrill-lynch-2019-auto-summit-slideshow

[ eta: here also https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/37996/000003799619000016/exhibit99toapril1720198k.pdf ]
Plus a little confirmation of the date, albeit delayed some months probably. Most of the slides have some interesting insights, although not detailed, and not much about Bronco specifically.

usza200

Black Diamond
First Name
Laszlo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
None of the Broncos hidden here under the rug are supposed to be the real Bronco. These are some city dweller fancy SUVs. Just check the windshield angle, it should be more vertical, at least it was on the well known mud sprinkled sheet cover outline. Let's hope that these here are just for the bankers to be persuaded to throw the money to Ford.

Skifryan

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler 300
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeah these are just placeholders, the same for each unreleased project.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
None of the Broncos hidden here under the rug are supposed to be the real Bronco. These are some city dweller fancy SUVs. Just check the windshield angle, it should be more vertical, at least it was on the well known mud sprinkled sheet cover outline. Let's hope that these here are just for the bankers to be persuaded to throw the money to Ford.
The 'vehicle under a sheet' images in those slides are just symbols = "vehicle goes here". I don't expect the "mustang inspired electric" to remotely be that shape either.
Sponsored