Sponsored

Where is external temperature sensor on the Bronco?

DenNut

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm noticed that at times the external temperature on my Bronco goes crazy and records a temperature that is WAY off. As an example, I was driving to lunch today and it started out as 81 deg (my watch and weather app said 82), so great! 10 minutes later it said 92 deg for about 5 minutes, and then it went back down to 80 deg. The other day it said 101.

In talking to other people, it sounds like this is a common thing. It's not a big deal, but it makes me wonder, where is the temp being read? Either the sensors are bad or the location is less than desirable.

Mostly, though, I'm just curious.
Sponsored

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm noticed that at times the external temperature on my Bronco goes crazy and records a temperature that is WAY off. As an example, I was driving to lunch today and it started out as 81 deg (my watch and weather app said 82), so great! 10 minutes later it said 92 deg for about 5 minutes, and then it went back down to 80 deg. The other day it said 101.

In talking to other people, it sounds like this is a common thing. It's not a big deal, but it makes me wonder, where is the temp being read? Either the sensors are bad or the location is less than desirable.

For the Modular Bumper there are 2 sensors behind the plastic bolt covers around the tow hooks.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did the temp change while driving or after it was parked? The ambient air temp sensor is in the driver's mirror housing. I asked about the temp difference because it will definitely show a higher temp after sitting in the sun after setting. You'll have to drive it, don't quote me on this, but I think it was 30MPH before it starts recalculating again.

Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) Sensor

The Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) sensor is an input to the PCM . If the outside air temperature is below approximately 0°C (32°F), the PCM does not allow the A/C compressor clutch to engage.

The PCM sends raw ambient air temperature data to the HVAC control module. The HVAC control module filters the raw data, sends it to the APIM and the touchscreen displays the outside temperature.

OP
OP
DenNut

DenNut

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hmm, is it I’m my mirror or my bumper? I could see that metal bumper getting hot in the sun. I kind of want to find these and go put an ice cube on them for fun.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DenNut

DenNut

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did the temp change while driving or after it was parked? The ambient air temp sensor is in the driver's mirror housing. I asked about the temp difference because it will definitely show a higher temp after sitting in the sun after setting. You'll have to drive it, don't quote me on this, but I think it was 30MPH before it starts recalculating again.

Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) Sensor

The Ambient Air Temperature (AAT) sensor is an input to the PCM . If the outside air temperature is below approximately 0°C (32°F), the PCM does not allow the A/C compressor clutch to engage.

The PCM sends raw ambient air temperature data to the HVAC control module. The HVAC control module filters the raw data, sends it to the APIM and the touchscreen displays the outside temperature.
I was driving on I-25 at about 65 mph

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was driving on I-25 at about 65 mph
There goes that theory. Usually when these things go they either read way into the negatives or way hot. I'm not finding a test in the shop manual for air temp sensor so my suggestion is keep an eye on it, if it starts going wacky and affects how your A/C is functioning, take it in.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ambient Air Temperature Sensor
Special Tool(s) / General Equipment

Flat-Bladed Screwdriver
Removal

NOTE:
Removal steps in this procedure may contain installation details.

• Using a suitable tool, pry and detach the ambient air temperature sensor bezel from the LH exterior mirror housing.
      Use the General Equipment: Flat-Bladed Screwdriver
    • Disconnect the ambient air temperature sensor electrical connector and remove the ambient air temperature sensor.
Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}
Installation

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
    • If replacing the ambient air temperature sensor a reset must be performed.

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mirror seems to be a sub-optimal place for it. I notice outdoor temps seems to go up 20+ degrees when going slow offroad. I'm pretty sure this is just cooling the fan kicking engine heat out by the mirrors. Once you get on a fast part, or back on the road and the outdoor temp reads accurate again.

There is no really good place to locate these things in the heat. My old F350 would read in the 130s when parked in the sun in the summer heat. Would come back down to the frigid 115 or so out after driving it a bit.

I did not know about the 30mph thing, but it makes sense given my outside temp does not change until I'm a couple of miles away from the house and can go above 30.

Sponsored

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've definitely noticed mine is slow to react in both directions, when I leave the parking garage at work, it takes a solid 5 minutes of driving on the highway to show a believable number

theslide

Big Bend
First Name
Slide
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Flat-Bladed Screwdriver
Removal

NOTE:

• Using a suitable tool, pry and detach the ambient air temperature sensor bezel from the LH exterior mirror housing.
    • Disconnect the ambient air temperature sensor electrical connector and remove the ambient air temperature sensor.
Ford Bronco Where is external temperature sensor on the Bronco? Hel
Installation

Where did find that install diagram? That seems handy..

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Flat-Bladed Screwdriver
Removal

NOTE:

Installation

Flip to the rescue!!!!!

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Mine said 128 today... It's damn hot, but not THAT hot

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Did the temp change while driving or after it was parked? The ambient air temp sensor is in the driver's mirror housing. I asked about the temp difference because it will definitely show a higher temp after sitting in the sun after setting. You'll have to drive it, don't quote me on this, but I think it was 30MPH before it starts recalculating.
The last time we were driving on the beach at Assateague Island National Seashore (on an 80 degree day) the Bronco was reading 117 degrees, we never got above 30 mph. After we left the beach, got on pavement, and got up over 30 it came right back down to "normal" readings.
Sponsored