First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So I purchased a 2022 Badlands from a private party out of state off of Autotrader and it was delivered today (very excited). I live in California, so of course I already knew registering an out of state car was going to be a pain but when I took it for the VIN verification at DMV the employee there seemed confused that my vin number was only on the inner door jam and not visible in the windshield (see photo). I found this odd too as I've never had a vehicle that didn't have the vin visible in the window. He told me I was going to have to be referred the CHP now for them to do further verifications. Is this normal?

IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_3500.jpg
very odd yeah i would contact local law enforcement for your safety and records ps what does the seller have to say about that

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
very odd yeah i would contact local law enforcement for your safety and records ps what does the seller have to say about that
if only there was a 10 page thread that discussed what he has done in detail since the original post

TC1

Wildtrak
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2022 Mach E, 2021 Escape, 2014 RX 450
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So there should be a vin # there? I'm not crazy. Is this a manufacturing error?
you honestly believe this is an error? I would be getting a lawyer and talking to autotrader very quickly

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IDK man...if it was an accident I think at least SOME of the text would have survived. That sucker is wiped clean! Leme propose an alternate scenario...glass tech pulls vehicle into shop, removes windshield, then breaks for lunch...mischevious dealership employee(s) x, or x(s) tries xyz bodyshop chemical to see if it will remove printing on the label...employee(s) x's experiment works SO WELL he's gotta wipe the whole label completely clean before glass tech comes back to reinstall...label is wiped SO clean that when glass tech comes back he never notices (as apparently previous owner didn't either). Employee x is now "in the clear", as there is no evidence he was ever involved. Only reason I propose this theory is that I worked for several years w/just such a devious individual, and the only reason I can't pin this on him is I know he has never been in SC (which now I wonder if this vehicle has ever been serviced in WI?)
Were they hanging from the ceiling wearing all black dodging lasers?

OP
OP
FatsWaller

FatsWaller

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
you honestly believe this is an error? I would be getting a lawyer and talking to autotrader very quickly
At this point I do. I've now looked at dozens of VINs on new broncos and had some sent to me up close without the windshield on and it looks 99% like the VIN number is printed directly on that FoMoCo security background.

Autotrader is aware but a lawyer for who and what? I mean I can try but I doubt I can prove Ford screwed up. The PO had no idea and is working with me to figure it all out. The VINs on the engine block, frame, and numerous stickers on the vehicle including the app all match. Autotrader ran full checks on the vehicle with no flags.

Ive taken it to two Ford dealers now and both think it was a manufacturing error as the security sticker would be damaged as its supposed to be if you try to alter or remove it, yet mine is in perfect condition.

They both gave me a number to ford to open a case so that's what I'm doing now but getting a blue tag may just be simpler and my appointment for that is on March 12th with CHP.

I highly doubt anything nefarious has occurred here. The PO is the original owner and records prove that. Like I said he is still in contact with me and has offered to even go in person to the dealer he purchased it new from to discuss it with them (not sure what this would accomplish). No scammer or thief would or even could replace all the VIN stickers on the car in every area, somehow laser etch a new VIN into the engine block and reprogram the OBD to read the correct VIN. So there is no point to go through all that work and then remove a VIN number from the dash and not even replace or attempt fake it.

Its more than likely ill just have to get it inspected by CHP on the 12th, they'll clear it and issue me my blue tag so I can register it. I doubt Ford will be much help but I am going to keep trying.

if only there was a 10 page thread that discussed what he has done in detail since the original post
If only... watch for my book deal and podcast next

Grimreaper

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I purchased a 2022 Badlands from a private party out of state off of Autotrader and it was delivered today (very excited). I live in California, so of course I already knew registering an out of state car was going to be a pain but when I took it for the VIN verification at DMV the employee there seemed confused that my vin number was only on the inner door jam and not visible in the windshield (see photo). I found this odd too as I've never had a vehicle that didn't have the vin visible in the window. He told me I was going to have to be referred the CHP now for them to do further verifications. Is this normal?

IMG_3499.jpg

IMG_3500.jpg
Probably 1 of the many stolen broncos from storage lot's near plant

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Probably 1 of the many stolen broncos from storage lot's near plant
So another commenter that has not read the 10 pages of discussion.....
Trying to be helpful, but......
I wonder if there is a way to turn off comments for the first half of a thread?
After reading the entire discussion there could still be reasonable/viable comments that could be helpful....
We see this with a lot of threads. People are trying to be helpful but they missed the entire discussion to this point..... Maybe if we were able to limit comments to the last 15 or 20 posts???
I don't know is there a threshold that would work?

Sponsored
OP
OP
FatsWaller

FatsWaller

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
So another commenter that has not read the 10 pages of discussion.....
Trying to be helpful, but......
I wonder if there is a way to turn off comments for the first half of a thread?
After reading the entire discussion there could still be reasonable/viable comments that could be helpful....
We see this with a lot of threads. People are trying to be helpful but they missed the entire discussion to this point..... Maybe if we were able to limit comments to the last 15 or 20 posts???
I don't know is there a threshold that would work?
I kind of find it comical at this point.

Maybe a ford employee will stumble upon this and realize... oh Sh#@% that's the truck I forgot to attach the VIN to.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At this point I do. I've now looked at dozens of VINs on new broncos and had some sent to me up close without the windshield on and it looks 99% like the VIN number is printed directly on that FoMoCo security background.

Autotrader is aware but a lawyer for who and what? I mean I can try but I doubt I can prove Ford screwed up. The PO had no idea and is working with me to figure it all out. The VINs on the engine block, frame, and numerous stickers on the vehicle including the app all match. Autotrader ran full checks on the vehicle with no flags.

Ive taken it to two Ford dealers now and both think it was a manufacturing error as the security sticker would be damaged as its supposed to be if you try to alter or remove it, yet mine is in perfect condition.

They both gave me a number to ford to open a case so that's what I'm doing now but getting a blue tag may just be simpler and my appointment for that is on March 12th with CHP.

I highly doubt anything nefarious has occurred here. The PO is the original owner and records prove that. Like I said he is still in contact with me and has offered to even go in person to the dealer he purchased it new from to discuss it with them (not sure what this would accomplish). No scammer or thief would or even could replace all the VIN stickers on the car in every area, somehow laser etch a new VIN into the engine block and reprogram the OBD to read the correct VIN. So there is no point to go through all that work and then remove a VIN number from the dash and not even replace or attempt fake it.

Its more than likely ill just have to get it inspected by CHP on the 12th, they'll clear it and issue me my blue tag so I can register it. I doubt Ford will be much help but I am going to keep trying.

Without a VIN visible in the window, you're basically an outlaw. I suggest you lay low, take back roads, wear jackets with thick furry collars and dark glasses, naturally, avoid conversations with strangers. Get a fake ID, don't be flashy and use a name like Ron Burgundy or anything. You got one chance, don't blow it! Make a run for the border. Let us know if you make it. 🇲🇽

TC1

Wildtrak
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2022 Mach E, 2021 Escape, 2014 RX 450
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Since you discovered this issue, it needs to be resolved by Ford, In fact if you look at Federal Law on VIN it's missing a required by law Number placement. This issue will need a lawyer (Steve Leto Type of attorney) to get this resolved as you may never be able to sell it without a disclosure. Many people will not by a vehicle with disclosures on them or worse de value the vehicle because of this issue.

Federal Law on VIN https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-49/subtitle-B/chapter-V/part-565

OP
OP
FatsWaller

FatsWaller

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Without a VIN visible in the window, you're basically an outlaw. I suggest you lay low, take back roads, wear jackets with thick furry collars and dark glasses, naturally, avoid conversations with strangers. Get a fake ID, don't be flashy and use a name like Ron Burgundy or anything. You got one chance, don't blow it! Make a run for the border. Let us know if you make it. 🇲🇽
Thank god I live only an hour from the border! It was nice knowin' you fellas. Looks like its time to begin my new life. Thank god the Bronco has a Baja mode.

1709585513931.png