Sponsored

Where to find older cars/trucks for sale?

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've checked all the normal sites I used to use to find old vehicles for sale, but they're all just overrun by dealers now. trying to find something like an 80s-90s f-150 or 7.3L f-250. my 6.0 shit the bed again this weekend and im tired of spending all my time and money on my DD instead of on my fun cars/trucks. the DD is supposed to be there to tow my toys I spend money on, not be my money pit. for what I've dropped into repairs on this truck in the last 6 years my bronco could be on rockwells and 54s and my 71 mach 1 would be on the road.

All the sites I've looked at, craigslist, autotrader, etc all seem to be nothing but new and used car dealer aggregates now. you can't tell me there's not a single older than 2005 F-150 for sale within 100 miles of Baton Rouge, or only 1 '88 bronco for $10,000 (seriously dude...wth)
Sponsored

dmtndan

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Silverado, 2014 Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've checked all the normal sites I used to use to find old vehicles for sale, but they're all just overrun by dealers now. trying to find something like an 80s-90s f-150 or 7.3L f-250. my 6.0 shit the bed again this weekend and im tired of spending all my time and money on my DD instead of on my fun cars/trucks. the DD is supposed to be there to tow my toys I spend money on, not be my money pit. for what I've dropped into repairs on this truck in the last 6 years my bronco could be on rockwells and 54s and my 71 mach 1 would be on the road.

All the sites I've looked at, craigslist, autotrader, etc all seem to be nothing but new and used car dealer aggregates now. you can't tell me there's not a single older than 2005 F-150 for sale within 100 miles of Baton Rouge, or only 1 '88 bronco for $10,000 (seriously dude...wth)
Honestly I would drive around town and eyeball used car lots, also the Facebook store has lots of used vehicles and not nearly as much dealerships surprisingly. Really hate how the go to websites are all advertisements now.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cars.com ?
Thing is, once they get to a certain age, dealers won't carry them, and dealers learn how to advertise properly.
It will all be private owners who stay local or word of mouth.

Last I knew , private owners were going to craigslist, "facebook Marketplace" and local print ads like auto & rv or the newspaper.

Have you priced one of the last years of a 7.3 PSD ...... apparently they made them out of unobtainium.

I'd always thought the 6.no was OK once the few gremlins were worked out.

The 6.4 was known for putting people in the poor house with multiple several thousand dollar repairs....and yet they are still worth a small fortune. I cringe everytime I see one with a temp plate on it.

Then there are the $12k/16k fuel system repairs for the maintainance diva 6.7 ..... no thanks, it's 7.3PSD or gassers for me now.

OP
OP
JimmyDean

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Cars.com ?
Thing is, once they get to a certain age, dealers won't carry them, and dealers learn how to advertise properly.
It will all be private owners who stay local or word of mouth.

Last I knew , private owners were going to craigslist, "facebook Marketplace" and local print ads like auto & rv or the newspaper.

Have you priced one of the last years of a 7.3 PSD ...... apparently they made them out of unobtainium.

I'd always thought the 6.no was OK once the few gremlins were worked out.

The 6.4 was known for putting people in the poor house with multiple several thousand dollar repairs....and yet they are still worth a small fortune. I cringe everytime I see one with a temp plate on it.

Then there are the $12k/16k fuel system repairs for the maintainance diva 6.7 ..... no thanks, it's 7.3PSD or gassers for me now.
there is a single 7.3 near me. 17k for a 21 year old truck. granted, my 6.no costs me over 7k in repairs in the last 14 months, and is broke again, don't know how much this one will be. She's cost me somewhere around 35k in the 8 years I've had her (no counting purchase price), and I've got maybe 50k miles on her. I about done with this shit. I would much rather go to a 7.3, but yeah, unobtanium right there. I'm also open to a 460 truck, but they'd have to exist near me. apparantly if I moved 1000 miles north they're all over the place for dirt cheap.

there is a 350 7.3 with 300k miles, DRW for 'only' 13.5k, but this is for a DD, and that's a big sob for driving into the city every day.

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OfferUp and Facebook Marketplace. Craigslist you have to filter to show private party only.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

granted, my 6.no costs me over 7k in repairs in the last 14 months, and is broke again, don't know how much this one will be. She's cost me somewhere around 35k in the 8 years I've had her (no counting purchase price), and I've got maybe 50k miles on her. I about done with this shit.
^^^^ JEEZUS H !!
Totally reconfirms my decision to drive a US built, foriegn branded fuel sipper for work. These super dutys seem to thrive if your working the shit out of them, but don't work so well as daily drivers.

This is why the new 7.3 makes me happy.
A gasser designed for how a heavy truck motor is used. With any luck, it will have a LONG lifespan, as it is designed for.
Aluminum body that hopefully will resist rot better than the steel ones. Between the road salt up here and the steel mills I work at (which are HIGHLY alkaline soils/puddles- absolutely DEVOUR sheetmetal) their getting close to a legacy type truck that can be handed down, cause it will take a lifetime to pay them off. LOL

OP
OP
JimmyDean

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
yeah,
^^^^ JEEZUS H !!
Totally reconfirms my decision to drive a US built, foriegn branded fuel sipper for work. These super dutys seem to thrive if your working the shit out of them, but don't work so well as daily drivers.

This is why the new 7.3 makes me happy.
A gasser designed for how a heavy truck motor is used. With any luck, it will have a LONG lifespan, as it is designed for.
Aluminum body that hopefully will resist rot better than the steel ones. Between the road salt up here and the steel mills I work at (which are HIGHLY alkaline soils/puddles- absolutely DEVOUR sheetmetal) their getting close to a legacy type truck that can be handed down, cause it will take a lifetime to pay them off. LOL
she wasn't bought for that purpose, but she was just so problematic at the start I could never put her to her intended use of hauling my toys, and all my money went into keeping her running and not into those toys, so yeah....

I'm looking at rangers right now, or older has engined 250s and such. but 4wd is a must. But even then, some guy wants 28,500 for his 1992 F-250 gasser, because it's 'fully restored'. dude, it's a 92 f-250. I used to buy those things and throw em away when they needed an oil change (not really but you get the point)

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Searchtempest.com is the only way to go these days. It searches CL and others within a selected radius. Still gotta wade through dealers, but careful search parameters helps that. Its all i really use.

LorenzeTorres

Badlands
First Name
Lo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/ 2002 BMW M3/ 2016 BMW M2/ 2016 Triumph Thruxton R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used this app called BRZO. It used to be free but now it’s $15. It’s like search tempest where it searches all of the CL’s in America. The biggest upside is that the user interface is easy to use and not overwhelming.

Superds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Facebook marketplace is popular up here. Just a couple years ago craigslist was the go to but now all the private sales have switched to Facebook.

Sorry about your 6.0, I have an 07 f250 6.0 and she is a pricey mistress. I’m also pretty fed up with dumping money in it but I need to make it last another two years before my wife’s car is paid off and my kid is out of daycare.
Sponsored