Sponsored

Where's the V-8 ? Ford makes a nice little Diesel, too.

Is a V-8 the best engine for a Bronco?

• Total voters

Jacjetlag

Wildtrak
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Diesel Mercedes
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Good to see the actual Bronco....exciting really, they have done quite a bit right.
+++++
But the V-8 is MIA, and the FCA diesel is definitely a torque crawling game changer. Don't get me wrong, I'm from a very loyal Ford family, but I'll wait with my $100 until I see proper power for this. The 392 Rubicon is a strong competitor.
+++++
"The only natural engine choice for a Bronco is a 302.".....Change my mind, convince me otherwise.
Sponsored

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good to see the actual Bronco....exciting really, they have done quite a bit right.
+++++
But the V-8 is MIA, and the FCA diesel is definitely a torque crawling game changer. Don't get me wrong, I'm from a very loyal Ford family, but I'll wait with my $100 until I see proper power for this. The 392 Rubicon is a strong competitor.
+++++
"The only natural engine choice for a Bronco is a 302.".....Change my mind, convince me otherwise.
But the V8 gets worse gas mileage than the v6 or the 4 -banger.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Listen, It'd be nice to have a V8, and I'm sure the aftermarket will help us manual folks out with it, but as far as I'm concerned, as long as I can row gears topless and there's an aftermarket, I'm fine

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Though I would like it to be an option, honestly driving the 2.7 in my f-150 is better in every way except sound than the 302 trucks I test drove (granted, they were heavier than the 2.7, and I live in CO, so forced induction is king here)

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm not going to convince you otherwise because I would prefer a V8. But I know we aren't getting one this year.

As far as FCA and their hemi, I could give 2 shits. I don't like Jeeps (quality sucks in my opinion) and big whoop. Let them do it. Jeep fanboys sit around and say... Oh we're the best, we crawl over rocks....If all they are doing is crawling, what do they need a v8 for?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Jacjetlag

Wildtrak
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Diesel Mercedes
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
+++++

Gas is $1.85 right now in Tx.
Not many Bronco guys with big wheels and tires will pick the 4 for fuel economy if the V-8 is available.

Not many Prius folks go for the big wheels and tires. Fuel economy is not the point here....apples, meet oranges.

MikeWolfe

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition, 2020 Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Will always be Turbo's for me
N/A engines lose 3% HP & Torque for each 1000' above sea level
Turbo's will produce the same power at 14,000 ft as they do at sea level
Supercharged engines use a positive displacement compressor so they also lose power at the same rate as N/A engines
The 2.7L engine with a recalibration would work well
Would prefer the 3.0L diesel with a recalibration though??

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If I cared about fuel economy, I'd still be driving my 2.2L I-4 2001 Sonoma...OK, maybe not, but I'd have replaced it with a Tacoma instead of a Tundra.

OK, maybe not, because hauling firewood in a small truck sucks (you have to make twice as many trips for the same amount of wood), but I'd have bought the 4.0L V-6 instead of the 4.6L V-8.

That said, even if a V-8 were available in the Bronco, I'd probably still look at the 2.3L EcoBoost, but for economic reasons not related to fuel.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I really doubt that. The iron block V6 plus the turbos is only about 50lb lighter, and because people can't keep their foot out of it that little bugger is going to suck gas like crazy most of the time. Under regular load I'd bet the 5.0 would be getting better fuel economy.

Unless you're an imaginary little-old-lady-robot like the EPA 'ratings' are based on, you're not going to see those numbers.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I cared about fuel economy...
This is probably one of the most important factors. Bronco is not an econocar. People are not buying a brand new lifted truck with 35" tires to get good fuel economy in their commute. The vehicle in general, and the V8 option, are aesthetic choices.

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is probably one of the most important factors. Bronco is not an econocar. People are not buying a brand new lifted truck with 35" tires to get good fuel economy in their commute. The vehicle in general, and the V8 option, are aesthetic choices.
Even if you have the 2.3 4-cylinder with 35 inch tires?

LemonShark

Outer Banks
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mercedes C43 AMG, 2018 Honda Odyssey
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Honest question, what about a V8 is it you want? If it's for the sound, I totally get that. A great exhaust note, ESPECIALLY on an open top vehicle, is important, but is that the most important thing to people who desire a V8 option?

Fuel economy, low rpm torque delivery, and easy tunability all go to the turbo engines. I'm genuinely curious as to why the outcry for a V8 is so strong.

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I like how everyone acts as if coyotes can't get a turbo or blower and those only ever exist on ecoboosts. Yeah the ecoboosts are easy to get a little bit of hp with a tune out of... but if you wanna go fast, they will not keep up with the coyote after 500hp...

And as for mileage, I've owned 3 ecoboosts so far (1,6, 2.7 and 2.3), never got the mpg ratings out of either of them. They do Eco and they do Boost, but not at the same time.
Sponsored