Sponsored

Where's the V-8 ? Ford makes a nice little Diesel, too.

Is a V-8 the best engine for a Bronco?

• Total voters

Dlerojo

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The only aspect of a V8 that's better than current offerings is the sound...that's it

Also the coyote V8s seem to have more problems than the ecoboosts, especially with oil consumption.
Sponsored

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is probably one of the most important factors. Bronco is not an econocar. People are not buying a brand new lifted truck with 35" tires to get good fuel economy in their commute. The vehicle in general, and the V8 option, are aesthetic choices.
*cough* let me channel the fanbois:

What percentage of people go offroad? Huh wise guy? This will handle way better and be more comfortable and get better fuel economy on the road where 90% of the people will drive them!

You can't make this shit up...

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
*cough* let me channel the fanbois:

What percentage of people go offroad? Huh wise guy? This will handle way better and be more comfortable and get better fuel economy on the road where 90% of the people will drive them!
You conveniently ignore the reason people buy vehicles like this. It is not primarily motivated by what they logically know they will do with the thing, but by the fantasy of what could be done with it, and the perception they want to have of themself and of for others to have of them.

People do not buy sports cars because they will race them. They do not buy Wranglers because they drive the Rubicon to get to work every day.

The image of the Bronco as capable must be credible or it will not maintain the perception or value as a means to the end of that fantasy.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
"The only natural engine choice for a Bronco is a 302.".....Change my mind, convince me otherwise.
Like...the 302 from 1968? Because the current 5.0 Coyote is 307 cubic inches, and no one has ever called a Coyote a 302. I have a 302 small block in my BMW and a 351 small block in my Cougar. Great for what they are - they make good noises, they scoot just fine. I like V8s. But unlike many people out there, I have no misconceptions about the best tool for the job.

Ford has HUGE brand equity in the EcoBoost name. They really hung their hat on it when they put it in the Raptor and GT, and more than 60% of F150s sold get an EcoBoost.

If Ford put a Coyote in the Bronco it would be:
- Heavier
- Harder to package (Coyote is wiiiiiiiiiiiide)
- Slower (2.7 F150 is faster than 5.0)
- Less low end torque
- Worse mpg (they're already going to be really bad, the V8 would make them even worse)

Yes the SOUNDS would be way better, and YES you'd feel more like a REAL MAN but at what price? Speed, agility, capability, gas mileage. That's the price.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The image of the Bronco as capable must be credible or it will not maintain the perception or value as a means to the end of that fantasy.
Brilliantly put, and it's hilarious how many people here don't realize they're living in that fantasy.

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you are buying a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick, then you should not be too concerned over the loss of a few mpg's. For a longevity & ease of maintenance perspective, I would take a n/a engine over a turbo anyday. The twin turbo should be nice, but for how many trouble free miles v.s. a n/a motor?

Kind

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Superduty 2wd 6.4, 2018 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I would take a 7.3 over a 5.0 in the bronco. The weight doesn’t concern me.

Ideally Ford would come out with a motor similar to the 7.3 but in the 6.0 range. The 5.0 isn’t the best “truck“ engine.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am most interested in the Bronco for the off road ability. Low end torque and low gears pretty much are all I need. I can't say I'm crazy about that coming from a turbo, but I don't need a V8 either. A solid V6 should be able to provide that. Of course, coupled with a manual transmission, but we don't have that either, so...

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You conveniently ignore the reason people buy vehicles like this. It is not primarily motivated by what they logically know they will do with the thing, but by the fantasy of what could be done with it, and the perception they want to have of themself and of for others to have of them.

People do not buy sports cars because they will race them. They do not buy Wranglers because they drive the Rubicon to get to work every day.

Oh, I fully agree with you, I was just poking fun at the responses on here. The FJ never got that following - the image - because well, they were a pain in the ass to lift and get that image out there of what could be. Same with sports cars and everything else for the enthusiast...
Sponsored