Sponsored

Which 2D hard top will be(future) easier for 1 person to remove, MIC or Modular(heavier and painted)?

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey Guys,

I understand the hardtop dramas and have not ordered a new Bronco yet. I will get a 2D Bronco when they are available and would like to take the hardtop on/off by myself(pretty big guy). I have had Jeeps before and know how difficult it can be, but I will try to buy lifts or hangers(If anyone has any good recommendations let me know)for a garage spot, if needed, to assist. Because I am looking at probably a year wait anyway, I might just wait for the modular hardtop option again as well. I like the modular hardtop mostly because for me I will probably switch to a soft top in the summers and like the top being painted and blocking more noise in the winter, but ease of me removing and putting hardtop on/off will probably trump the looks, cost, and noise benefits of the different tops. Waiting to see what Ford announces, if anything, when they update their website for the 2022s on 9/13. Since the people ordering on 9/13 will be waiting a long time anyway, I am hoping they might bring back the option of ordering a modular. Either way I want to be ready to order through a dealer on 9/13 and get in line behind all of you guys, but it is important that I get the correct hardtop(even if I have to wait 2 years).

People all have different likes and I am sure that tons of people would happy with any hard top, but do you guys think the modular hard top is easier to remove, compared to the MIC, on the 2D? It sounds like with the 2D modular I can remove all the windows, then the backseat oval/sunroof out of the rear clamshell, but I know it is heavier and it is painted so there is more worry about scratches. The weight might leave both being a 2P operation, but maybe with the modular I can hang some cable down from garage joists and hook into the vacated rear windows?

I also might uses the front row only pieces in the summer along with the doors some and let it rain in the back of the Bronco. Maybe they are both about the same difficulty, but let me know if you guys think that either the modular or mic hardtop on the 2D might be a lot easier to put-on/take-off, etc.

Thanks,

Dan
Sponsored

Last edited:

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The size of the rear piece on either top will make it a 2 person or lifting device assist job. The weight difference will not matter for most humans not named Shaq.

OP
OP
VailDan

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The size of the rear piece on either top will make it a 2 person or lifting device assist job. The weight difference will not matter for most humans not named Shaq.
Yes - I saw one person on a thread from last year saying that Ford had published something that the modular could be done by 1 person, but I think that person was incorrect as nothing else I have read said that is possible(unless you are Shaq).

If both tops are about the same difficulty to remove, I will probably go with whatever I can order from the Ford website on 9/13 even though it would be nice to rig up some cables hanging from joists in the garage ceiling and try to hook them into the rear window openings for easier lift on the modular clamshell. I do think I will end up having the doors on a decent amount in the summer and might throw the frontseat pieces on some when it is raining, and let backseat get wet, but I am guessing that both the frontseat modular and MIC pieces to be about the same difficulty(same screws, etc)putting on/taking off
Sponsored