Sponsored

Which Bronco is right for me? I’m thinking of putting a deposit on new Bronco vs purchasing a 2020 Toyota Sequoia Limited

ben_7

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru WRX STi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of upgrading my 2006 Honda Pilot sometime next year to a capable four wheel drive vehicle that I can enjoy the outdoors with my family (I live in beautiful Southern California) and still have it be our daily driver.

I do love manual transmissions however (my other car is a 2020 Subaru WRX STi) and while the new Ford Bronco is offered in a manual, my wife cannot drive manual as she would be driving this more often, plus you currently can't get the manual with the 2.7 Ecoboost six cylinder engine.

I've also loved Toyota Sequoia's for a long time because (post 2018+) they had an aggressive looking front end, tons of space for me and my family, solid reliability, and a very capable 4WD system.

The question came down to spending $50K on a 2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrack or a slightly used 2020 Toyota Sequoia Limited (I say slightly used because by the time we are ready to purchase our family SUV next year, I should be able to find a slightly used 2020 Toyota Sequoia Limited hopefully around $50K or less). The Limited also has all the features (just shy of a few luxuries available on the Platinum), but still nothing close to what the new Bronco would offer.

The Ford Bronco looks better and has more aggressive looks (especially on 35" tires and a lifted stance) than the Sequoia. It has a 10 speed auto and more tech (i.e.: 12" screen, cameras all around, etc...) but the Sequoia has more room, solid reliability, big V8 and larger presence.

If I got the Sequoia (I chose the Limited trim because I didn't want the air suspension as I want to put a 3" lift on it), I would get a 3" lift and put 35" tires to match what the Bronco has.

I'm not going to do serious rock crawling, just standard off road trails and I would love to do some sand duning as well (I love that the new Bronco has a Baja mode which I believe allows for this).
The other unknown here is the reliability factor with the new Bronco as it's too new to see any issues, especially with the first year of a model, whereas the Sequoia has been around in this generation for about 12 years and Toyota reliability is a given.

On the other hand, the Bronco is a far newer vehicle with a modern cabin, so while I'm leaning toward putting a deposit on the new Bronco, I still haven't given up on the idea of purchasing a Sequoia yet.

Also I would like to get a 3 inch lift and put 37” tires on it, so would this be possible as well?

Please let me know your thoughts, especially if anyone has been deciding between putting a deposit on a new Bronco or buying a Sequoia for similar off-roading activities and family daily driving activities?
Sponsored

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of upgrading my 2006 Honda Pilot sometime next year to a capable four wheel drive vehicle that I can enjoy the outdoors with my family (I live in beautiful Southern California) and still have it be our daily driver.

I do love manual transmissions however (my other car is a 2020 Subaru WRX STi) and while the new Ford Bronco is offered in a manual, my wife cannot drive manual as she would be driving this more often, plus you currently can't get the manual with the 2.7 Ecoboost six cylinder engine.

I've also loved Toyota Sequoia's for a long time because (post 2018+) they had an aggressive looking front end, tons of space for me and my family, solid reliability, and a very capable 4WD system.

The question came down to spending $50K on a 2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrack or a slightly used 2020 Toyota Sequoia Limited (I say slightly used because by the time we are ready to purchase our family SUV next year, I should be able to find a slightly used 2020 Toyota Sequoia Limited hopefully around $50K or less). The Limited also has all the features (just shy of a few luxuries available on the Platinum), but still nothing close to what the new Bronco would offer.

The Ford Bronco looks better and has more aggressive looks (especially on 35" tires and a lifted stance) than the Sequoia. It has a 10 speed auto and more tech (i.e.: 12" screen, cameras all around, etc...) but the Sequoia has more room, solid reliability, big V8 and larger presence.

If I got the Sequoia (I chose the Limited trim because I didn't want the air suspension as I want to put a 3" lift on it), I would get a 3" lift and put 35" tires to match what the Bronco has.

I'm not going to do serious rock crawling, just standard off road trails and I would love to do some sand duning as well (I love that the new Bronco has a Baja mode which I believe allows for this).
The other unknown here is the reliability factor with the new Bronco as it's too new to see any issues, especially with the first year of a model, whereas the Sequoia has been around in this generation for about 12 years and Toyota reliability is a given.

On the other hand, the Bronco is a far newer vehicle with a modern cabin, so while I'm leaning toward putting a deposit on the new Bronco, I still haven't given up on the idea of purchasing a Sequoia yet.

Also I would like to get a 3 inch lift and put 37” tires on it, so would this be possible as well?

Please let me know your thoughts, especially if anyone has been deciding between putting a deposit on a new Bronco or buying a Sequoia for similar off-roading activities and family daily driving activities?
Have you considered a 2021 4runner?

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Welcome. I had an 07 STi and currently a modified Flex Fuel 2011 STi. Really fun cars! Hope you like your 2020.

I’m a Toyota fan as well but I would go with The Bronco over the Sequoia unless you need to tow. The top and doors come off, there will be endless aftermarket, it comes with lockers, gearing, lift and 35s. Bronco will be lighter and with the 2.7 quicker. If you plan to mod it, tuned 2.7 will make big HP and TQ gains. The Bronco is fun. The sequoia is reliable transportation for the family that can tow 7k lbs.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How big of a vehicle do you need? You mention the Sequoia being larger, but do you need a vehicle that large? Also, you might want to get some input from your wife before you decide on lifting either vehicle with larger tires. Those actions don't make for a family-friendly vehicle and the higher center of gravity usually makes daily-driving worse, things she's likely to hate in either vehicle. If you aren't doing rock crawling, 33" tires are more than enough to clear major obstacles as well as take on unimproved roads, etc. It sounds like you want the bigger tires and lift just for looks. Consider the cost of those looks in terms of the initial hardware expense as well as more expensive tires and worse fuel economy.

You might actually get better enjoyment out of a non-squatched Badlands. You can disconnect the front swaybar when off-road for a more comfortable ride, especially on the washboard and rutted roads. Just some thoughts.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am moving from a Toyota to Bronco and I quite frankly am not anticipating the same quality, but hoping to be surprised. Lets face it, all you have to do with a Toyota is put gas in it and change the oil. They drive forever. With that said, I like the idea of something fresh. Toyota and Lexus have some tired designs.

Sponsored

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OP I didn't see if you said how many kids or dogs you have and what kind of trips you're planning. If you have 2 kids and you're planning some camping trips, the Bronco might be a little small, maybe a roof rack would help? If you search for photos of the "overland concept" Bronco you can the cargo area full of stuff, its pretty limited. That might influence your decision.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am moving from a Toyota to Bronco and I quite frankly am not anticipating the same quality, but hoping to be surprised. Lets face it, all you have to do with a Toyota is put gas in it and change the oil. They drive forever. With that said, I like the idea of something fresh. Toyota and Lexus have some tired designs.
Yeah, see my vehicles comment. Look, this isn't hard. Do you want to have fun? Doors off, top off? Or just drive a battleship? That won't break and will be oh so comfy and can haul most of your house?

Bullseye

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Trailblazer, '09 Forester Limited
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
TLDR, did anyone inform the OP that's there's not a snowball's chance he's getting a 2021 Bronco if he hasn't already reserved one like 3 months ago?

OP
OP

ben_7

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru WRX STi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Have you considered a 2021 4runner?
Nope, while I understand that space-wise it’s similar to the Bronco, but if I’m getting a Toyota, I’ll get the extra space, the towing capacity, and the big V8.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ben_7

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru WRX STi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m cross shopping these because these are two vehicles I really want as a family fun, off road vehicle that are nearly in the same price range.

If I end up going Toyota, it’s the Sequoia for me because it has the larger space for long road trips along with the reliability and excellent 4WD system.

I’m looking to buy one of these vehicles sometime next year, but don’t mind waiting two years if the Bronco is the right fit.

OP
OP

ben_7

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru WRX STi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Welcome. I had an 07 STi and currently a modified Flex Fuel 2011 STi. Really fun cars! Hope you like your 2020.

I’m a Toyota fan as well but I would go with The Bronco over the Sequoia unless you need to tow. The top and doors come off, there will be endless aftermarket, it comes with lockers, gearing, lift and 35s. Bronco will be lighter and with the 2.7 quicker. If you plan to mod it, tuned 2.7 will make big HP and TQ gains. The Bronco is fun. The sequoia is reliable transportation for the family that can tow 7k lbs.
That’s awesome that you drive an STi now and you’ve had the legendary hawkeye STi! I love my STi and planning on modding it with the COBB stage 3 flex fuel kit soon. :)

If you’re interested, I have a YouTube channel called “Humble-Fish Motoring” and here is one of my videos from my channel where I review my STi:

Please watch it when you get a chance and subscribe if you like the content! And also please let me know what you think of the video in the comments.

Back to the Bronco, exactly what you said - it’s like a Tonka truck in a way to my kids and they love that, so I would love to entertain them in that!

However, I’m thinking of using the Sequoia to tow my STi for track days so I won’t need to put wear on the tires and engine on the way to the track and back. :)

OP
OP

ben_7

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru WRX STi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
How big of a vehicle do you need? You mention the Sequoia being larger, but do you need a vehicle that large? Also, you might want to get some input from your wife before you decide on lifting either vehicle with larger tires. Those actions don't make for a family-friendly vehicle and the higher center of gravity usually makes daily-driving worse, things she's likely to hate in either vehicle. If you aren't doing rock crawling, 33" tires are more than enough to clear major obstacles as well as take on unimproved roads, etc. It sounds like you want the bigger tires and lift just for looks. Consider the cost of those looks in terms of the initial hardware expense as well as more expensive tires and worse fuel economy.

You might actually get better enjoyment out of a non-squatched Badlands. You can disconnect the front swaybar when off-road for a more comfortable ride, especially on the washboard and rutted roads. Just some thoughts.
That’s a really good question. If I put my practical hat on, the Sequoia’s extra space will more than make my wife, my two kids, and I really happy on road trips and everyday commutes.

If I put my fun hat on, taking the doors and roof off and going through the dunes would be so much fun! Probably more than doing the same in the Sequoia, even though it should be perfectly capable to do similar off roaring.

The 3” lift and 37” tires are more for look yes, because I do love that “Tonka truck” look and my kids would love it as well.

The Toyota dealer near my house tells me they can install the lift kit if I buy the Sequoia from them and it wouldn’t void my warranty either.

OP
OP

ben_7

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru WRX STi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yeah and that’s why I started looking at a Bronco but still thinking about the Sequoia.

OP
OP

ben_7

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru WRX STi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
OP I didn't see if you said how many kids or dogs you have and what kind of trips you're planning. If you have 2 kids and you're planning some camping trips, the Bronco might be a little small, maybe a roof rack would help? If you search for photos of the "overland concept" Bronco you can the cargo area full of stuff, its pretty limited. That might influence your decision.
Yeah that’s why I’m still thinking about purchasing the Sequoia as we want to make a few road trips but still go off-roading and sand duning when possible.

The Sequoia seems to be a meeting point of off-road fun with family practicality, but the Bronco has flair!
Sponsored