Sponsored

Which Bronco is right for me? I’m thinking of putting a deposit on new Bronco vs purchasing a 2020 Toyota Sequoia Limited

regularbronco

First Edition
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
As a first year Sequoia buyer, I'm biased, with that in mind, the new ones look very bloated kind of like a Suburban. The originals had great body lines and size wise was perfect for our family of five. I would buy a land cruiser or an Armada as they are both large and fantastic off road. Both are all over in the middle east and very reliable. Still, these are much larger than the Bronco and space wise I think you really need to determine your hard requirements as far as size of vehicle. Hope this helps.
Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That’s a really good question. If I put my practical hat on, the Sequoia’s extra space will more than make my wife, my two kids, and I really happy on road trips and everyday commutes.

If I put my fun hat on, taking the doors and roof off and going through the dunes would be so much fun! Probably more than doing the same in the Sequoia, even though it should be perfectly capable to do similar off roaring.

The 3” lift and 37” tires are more for look yes, because I do love that “Tonka truck” look and my kids would love it as well.

The Toyota dealer near my house tells me they can install the lift kit if I buy the Sequoia from them and it wouldn’t void my warranty either.
And the roof comes off with a Sawzall, once. Doors are trickier.

OP
OP

ben_7

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru WRX STi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yeah, see my vehicles comment. Look, this isn't hard. Do you want to have fun? Doors off, top off? Or just drive a battleship? That won't break and will be oh so comfy and can haul most of your house?
And that is the decision I have to make... it would be nice if there was a vehicle that would do both.

OP
OP

ben_7

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru WRX STi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
TLDR, did anyone inform the OP that's there's not a snowball's chance he's getting a 2021 Bronco if he hasn't already reserved one like 3 months ago?
That’s fine, my 2006 Honda Pilot is still going strong with almost 200K miles, so if I would start to look around next summer. Just doing the research now.

OP
OP

ben_7

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru WRX STi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
And the roof comes off with a Sawzall, once. Doors are trickier.
As a first year Sequoia buyer, I'm biased, with that in mind, the new ones look very bloated kind of like a Suburban. The originals had great body lines and size wise was perfect for our family of five. I would buy a land cruiser or an Armada as they are both large and fantastic off road. Both are all over in the middle east and very reliable. Still, these are much larger than the Bronco and space wise I think you really need to determine your hard requirements as far as size of vehicle. Hope this helps.
Thanks, the Nissan Armada is called the Nissan Patrol overseas and has a solid reputation for off-roading as well. However, I’m staying away from Nissan as their reliability of late hasn’t been stellar.

I was looking at a Toyota Landcruiser but that is overpriced and the third row is smaller than the Sequoia (If I’m buying a Toyota, I want the added space) and the 4WD system is similar to the Sequoia, although the Landcruiser has more off-road modes.

If I’m buying a Toyota, it will be a Sequoia. :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think reliability will be a problem, the bronco shares the same architecture as the now 7+ year old ranger "globally" ford has experience building the raptor. So 35's suspension..... nothing new there. The newest item i believe is solely the 12" screen, but I could be wrong on that.
It's on the next-generation Ranger platform. Or, more accurately, the next Ranger will be on the Bronco platform. They are similar, but different.

Darforce

Black Diamond
First Name
Darlene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru crosstrek/ Mazda miata
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of upgrading my 2006 Honda Pilot sometime next year to a capable four wheel drive vehicle that I can enjoy the outdoors with my family (I live in beautiful Southern California) and still have it be our daily driver.

I do love manual transmissions however (my other car is a 2020 Subaru WRX STi) and while the new Ford Bronco is offered in a manual, my wife cannot drive manual as she would be driving this more often, plus you currently can't get the manual with the 2.7 Ecoboost six cylinder engine.

I've also loved Toyota Sequoia's for a long time because (post 2018+) they had an aggressive looking front end, tons of space for me and my family, solid reliability, and a very capable 4WD system.

The question came down to spending $50K on a 2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrack or a slightly used 2020 Toyota Sequoia Limited (I say slightly used because by the time we are ready to purchase our family SUV next year, I should be able to find a slightly used 2020 Toyota Sequoia Limited hopefully around $50K or less). The Limited also has all the features (just shy of a few luxuries available on the Platinum), but still nothing close to what the new Bronco would offer.

The Ford Bronco looks better and has more aggressive looks (especially on 35" tires and a lifted stance) than the Sequoia. It has a 10 speed auto and more tech (i.e.: 12" screen, cameras all around, etc...) but the Sequoia has more room, solid reliability, big V8 and larger presence.

If I got the Sequoia (I chose the Limited trim because I didn't want the air suspension as I want to put a 3" lift on it), I would get a 3" lift and put 35" tires to match what the Bronco has.

I'm not going to do serious rock crawling, just standard off road trails and I would love to do some sand duning as well (I love that the new Bronco has a Baja mode which I believe allows for this).
The other unknown here is the reliability factor with the new Bronco as it's too new to see any issues, especially with the first year of a model, whereas the Sequoia has been around in this generation for about 12 years and Toyota reliability is a given.

On the other hand, the Bronco is a far newer vehicle with a modern cabin, so while I'm leaning toward putting a deposit on the new Bronco, I still haven't given up on the idea of purchasing a Sequoia yet.

Also I would like to get a 3 inch lift and put 37” tires on it, so would this be possible as well?

Please let me know your thoughts, especially if anyone has been deciding between putting a deposit on a new Bronco or buying a Sequoia for similar off-roading activities and family daily driving activities?
So, you bought an expensive new car only you could drive because your wife doesn’t drive stick. Now you are picking out another vehicle and deciding between 2 cars YOU like? Shouldn’t you be asking your wife what she would like since it’ll be the one she’ll be driving? Maybe she has an opinion.

regularbronco

First Edition
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Thanks, the Nissan Armada is called the Nissan Patrol overseas and has a solid reputation for off-roading as well. However, I’m staying away from Nissan as their reliability of late hasn’t been stellar.

I was looking at a Toyota Landcruiser but that is overpriced and the third row is smaller than the Sequoia (If I’m buying a Toyota, I want the added space) and the 4WD system is similar to the Sequoia, although the Landcruiser has more off-road modes.

If I’m buying a Toyota, it will be a Sequoia. :)
Both the Armada and the Infiniti QX80 are built in Japan and are tops in there segments for quality. https://www.google.com/amp/s/thenew...-segments-in-2020-jd-power-quality-study/amp/

You really should take a look and drive an Armada, just to have fun and test drive it even if your mind is made up. Seriously what do you have to lose? That's my favorite part of auto purchases even when I know what I want. The interior and fit and finish if the Armada will shock you, seriously, they are that buttoned up.

OP
OP

ben_7

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru WRX STi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So, you bought an expensive new car only you could drive because your wife doesn’t drive stick. Now you are picking out another vehicle and deciding between 2 cars YOU like? Shouldn’t you be asking your wife what she would like since it’ll be the one she’ll be driving? Maybe she has an opinion.
Wow, that’s kind of mean isn’t it? Not to mention intrusive. What makes you think that she doesn’t want either of these two vehicles? It might surprise you to know that I’m posting for the both of us since my wife and I make all decisions together.

But to answer your question, I bought a 2018 STi back in 2017 and that car had so much problems that Subaru bought it back and gave me a brand new 2020 STi last year. So no, I didn’t buy an expensive new car in approximately the last three and a half years.

My wife wants an SUV that sits a lot higher and I’m sacrificing a manual because I want her to drive this car more often. So this vehicle is to cater to both her needs and my kids’ needs so that we can enjoy the beautiful outdoors as a family.

She loves the Sequoia and the looks of the Bronco but she doesn’t want us to the buy the Bronco until we sit in it and see if we like it whenever they have a demo vehicle in dealerships which I fully 100% agree, which is why we’re doing all the research now before buying either vehicle.

In any case, I signed up on this forum to get some help in deciding for or against the new Bronco, but this comment is definitely not helpful.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

ben_7

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru WRX STi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Both the Armada and the Infiniti QX80 are built in Japan and are tops in there segments for quality. https://www.google.com/amp/s/thenew...-segments-in-2020-jd-power-quality-study/amp/

You really should take a look and drive an Armada, just to have fun and test drive it even if your mind is made up. Seriously what do you have to lose? That's my favorite part of auto purchases even when I know what I want. The interior and fit and finish if the Armada will shock you, seriously, they are that buttoned up.
Absolutely, I’ve driven one and while it looks and feels nice, it just didn’t feel as well put together as the Seqouia, not to mention that the Seqouia’s front end to me looks more aggressive.

Last edited:
OP
OP

ben_7

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru WRX STi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If I do end up getting the Toyota Seqouia, I want to do something like this to the car:

What do you think?

regularbronco

First Edition
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If I do end up getting the Toyota Seqouia, I want to do something like this to the car:

What do you think?
White on black tinted with those wheels and tires, looks Great.
Black onw

regularbronco

First Edition
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I am moving from a Toyota to Bronco and I quite frankly am not anticipating the same quality, but hoping to be surprised. Lets face it, all you have to do with a Toyota is put gas in it and change the oil. They drive forever. With that said, I like the idea of something fresh. Toyota and Lexus have some tired designs.
Oh the Toyota no problems myth. 3 Sienna's, Camry Hybrid, 03 an 11 Tundras, and three Prius' of which my kids are driving two still. I can tell you we had to repair each one. Toyota helped with the Prius Battery, paying half of 3,900, but from CV axles, to Gunked up engine in the 06 Sienna, to timing belts, two inverter cooling pumps, digital dashs going out on both Prius' and power window motors etc; The just oil changes and fuel isn't exactly a reality. Have had similar experience with Ford's and to a lesser extent, GM as we've not had as many. I chuckle every time I hear "just oil changes and fuel". I wouldnt have a problem with any new car currently except Hyundai. Beautiful interiors, but have to give them some time to get past the whole engine failure issue.
Sponsored