George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cyber Orange Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I ordered a base 2 door with the 2.7 in February’22. I’m pretty sure I’ll have to reorder in August but I’m not sure if I should keep the 2.7 or go for the 6speed manual. I’ve never driven a manual transmission before but after watching videos on it it seems so fun. Should I keep the 2.7 for the extra power or go manual?

FF327723-8828-4BBB-ABF0-6718E6F916CF.jpeg
Sponsored

LoboDelRio

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BaseSquatch, 2015 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The 2.3 seems to have plenty of power (especially in the 2-door), so I wouldn't get too hung up on that.
As for manual vs. automatic, The 20 year-old in me really wanted the manual, but with 30+ years of experience I realized I just wouldn't want to row gears all the time. If the manual suits you go for it, but I don't find much of a difference in performance.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Both transmissions have a 6th gear buy the auto has 4 more and the manual 1. As far as I know it is still a 7 speed stick shift

Sponsored

Trigger

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Silverado/2022 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I ordered a 2.7L. Scheduled but not built yet. If I had to order again, I think I’d go 2.3. It’s a 2DR, I’d like to save the weight, and it sounds like it has plenty of power. I’d consider the 7MT as well. If I lived at high altitude or did extreme rock climbing with big tires: 2.7L. But I’d be good with 2.3 and save some cash.

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Love my manual as well! It really all comes down to what kind of use your bronco will get. Heave duty rock crawling is a lot easier in an auto. Otherwise the manual is a ton of fun on the trail. Drive in traffic is no issue as well as it is a really easy to use transmission

Shane78

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have a 2.7, and this is strictly my opinion, but the 2.3 loaner I had for a week did not even compare. Lot more get up and go in 2.7, again, imo. Also, if you have never driven manual there is a little bit of learning curve, and just ask yourself whether you’d get tired of the constant input depending on where you live. Like if you’re in the city, or somewhere very hilly, it might get old real fast driving a manual, if you aren’t already used to it. Just my 10 cents.

Losy

Raptor
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 1 Raptor, GL63, S7
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have a 2.7 BL with Sas. I might be in the minority, but i find it to be a little under powered.. I will eventually get a tune and try and get the HP up a little. The 10 speed is pretty smooth and is very well engineered. It reminds me a lot of the Mustang 10 speed.

Sponsored

Jroub21

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Raptor ‘17 Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a manual but I definitely see the auto has more advantages. The ONLY reasons to get a manual are
1. You enjoy the manual
2. You don’t trust Fords autos.

Auto is easier to daily, easier to off road and has a better center console setup. I’m coming off of spending $8000 on a Ford F450 transmission and just couldn’t get the auto (I know it’s a completely different transmission).

Ares

First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
got the 2.7. its hardly a rocket ship, I cant fathom it being slower.

in offroading, manuals are more of a handicap. one pedal driving is a neat trick only automatics get, but the torque converter in general provides a level of throttle control that would make a clutch scream for mercy (frankly, these days, 3 pedal manuals are objectively inferior in all aspects of motorsports)

but hey, some people get pleasure just from rowing the gears, thats fine too. Ive owned manual sports cars in the past, I get it. But I reserve that experience for a nice tight short throw shifter personally.

heynow14

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco - BL SAS MT LUX SOFT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've got 8k mi on 7-spd BL SAS. Do not even consider the auto. The 7spd is THE SINGLE BEST THING ABOUT THIS VEHICLE - and the second place 'thing' (the soft top) is a good bit behind. I have zero interest in the sloppy, sad, confused 10-spd auto.

I was in the "no manual, no Bronco" club. You should be, too.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This manual transmission is the easiest I've ever driven and would be great to learn on. Even stalling it is no big deal as it simply restarts when you put the clutch in. This may be your last chance to own a manual, so if you have an actual interest I would do it.
Sponsored