Sponsored

Which grade / octane gas do you use in your Bronco?

Which grade has do you use in your Bronco?

• Total voters

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just curious what everyone’s using. Also, can you just switch from one to the other whenever you want?
Sponsored

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a 3.5 Ecoboost in my 2018 F150, I run 87 in it most of the time but I will say there is a noticeable difference in performance if I run 93 in it. You can use either and switching between them will not hurt anything.

One of the magazines (I think it was Car and Driver) did a dyno comparison and the difference was 20-30 hp between 87 and 93.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Personally going to do mid-grade most of the time. When I go on trips I’ll switch to premium.

Yeah…….. different states have different standards for octane ratings. If you live near the Rocky Mountains, for example, you might find 85 as the “regular” fuel.

In my home state (AZ) it is 87/89/91 and occasionally you’ll find 93 labeled as “ultra-premium”. My current state (CT) as 87/89/93. My brother who previously lived in Wyoming had 85/88/91. Cousin in Alaska has 87/88/90.

Good to know… especially for those who go on vacation in Colorado and other states near the Rockies. 85 octane isnt going to make a turbocharged engine very happy,

Sponsored

iwantabasebronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Personally going to do mid-grade most of the time. When I go on trips I’ll switch to premium.

Yeah…….. different states have different standards for octane ratings. If you live near the Rocky Mountains, for example, you might find 85 as the “regular” fuel.

In my home state (AZ) it is 87/89/91 and occasionally you’ll find 93 labeled as “ultra-premium”. My current state (CT) as 87/89/93. My brother who previously lived in Wyoming had 85/88/91. Cousin in Alaska has 87/88/90.

Good to know… especially for those who go on vacation in Colorado and other states near the Rockies. 85 octane isnt going to make a turbocharged engine very happy,
Yeah I think I learned from a donut media video that higher elevations require lower octanes. All octane indicates is the fuel’s resistance to combustion. Higher octane means it will “wait longer” before combusting.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The pamphlet that came with my Bronco said premium for offroading, and 87 for regular driving is fine
I think the dealer put in 87. I filled it up with 91 and idk perhaps placebo, but it appeared more peppy

Going to do something in the middle most of the time unless I'm really planning to work it

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah I think I learned from a donut media video that higher elevations require lower octanes. All octane indicates is the fuel’s resistance to combustion. Higher octane means it will “wait longer” before combusting.
Yeah it’s essentially the resistance to pre-mature combustion while being compressed in the cylinder by the piston.

Higher elevations need less octane because there is less air to compress inside the cylinder. But if you stick a turbo on the engine… you are basically forcing more air into the engine than what would normally be there. Which, in effect, simulates a lower altitude.

iwantabasebronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah it’s essentially the resistance to pre-mature combustion while being compressed in the cylinder by the piston.

Higher elevations need less octane because there is less air to compress inside the cylinder. But if you stick a turbo on the engine… you are basically forcing more air into the engine than what would normally be there. Which, in effect, simulates a lower altitude.
That makes sense… you can basically disregard atmospheric pressure when using a turbo. Within reason..

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you pump a half tank of 89 and half tank of 93, will the computer detect ~91 and run with the premium tune? I know nothing about fluids and octane and such

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you pump a half tank of 89 and half tank of 93, will the computer detect ~91 and run with the premium tune? I know nothing about fluids and octane and such
More or less… yes.

Most gas stations only carry the lowest grade (usually 87 in most states) and the highest grade (usually 91 or 93) in their tanks. All of the mid grades are just mixes of the low and high that are mixed on the fly at the pump.

The 89 at my local gas station is two parts low grade (87) to every one part premium (93).

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
More or less… yes.

Most gas stations only carry the lowest grade (usually 87 in most states) and the highest grade (usually 91 or 93) in their tanks. All of the mid grades are just mixes of the low and high that are mixed on the fly at the pump.

The 89 at my local gas station is two parts low grade (87) to every one part premium (93).
It’s like soft serve swirl 🍦

KrazeeEyezKilla

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I’ve been so used to putting 85 in my previous vehicle that that’s what I put in my first fill up of the Bronco yesterday without even thinking about it. Realized about 15 gallons in. :rolleyes: I’m in Utah and here in the mountains we typically have 85/87/91 with some 88 sprinkled in. Doesn’t seem any less peppy but I’m still treading lightly 300 miles in. I’ll be topping off with some premium as soon as I can.

MattAttack85

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco OBX and 23 Jeep JLU
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So far, i've only put 93 in mine. When I go to 87, I plan on only using Top Tier gas stations from now on after reading about it.

toptiergas.com

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
More or less… yes.

correct fractional calculations on BG6? This has to be a first!
Sponsored

• Haha
Reactions: Dom