Sponsored

Which is better for new Bronco: Wrapping, or Painting?

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Seriously considering wrapping or painting mine the minute it arrives! I don't like any of the Base color options, so I might as well get my dream shade of green/blue. II'm going to use it as a daily driver and I live in Phoenix, so the potential for summer sun damage is there (my current job unfortunately doesn't have garage parking). I see myself keeping it forever and watching a family grow with the car, so it'd be nice if the color lasted ages as well. I'm guessing paint is the way to go? Has anyone had a great experience with either wrapping or paint, or have an idea of what that would cost? Thanks guys!

Ford Bronco Which is better for new Bronco: Wrapping, or Painting? Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 7.25.29 PM
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ajusaf

Black Diamond
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you order the colour you want then you can clear wrap it to protect it from debris etc.. but I'm not sure how the clear ones hold up with sun UV rays etc..

Blackandbluebronco

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wrap it. Costs less and they make some pretty tough vinyl. I’m thinking of wrapping mine. Wrapped my FJ and it ran about 2k. That was about 4 years ago. It held up really well. There is more durable wraps out now than I got So they may cost a bit more now. Most of the cost is labor since they mainly have to pull the trim and odds and ends off. Do your research on a good place though. Some places wrap like trash. Paint could get a scratch easier And it’s more expensive. Just my opinion.

unfortunate

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Wrap..imo body shops cant match the quality and durability of factory paint. Since you plan to keep it forever, you dont want to start seeing it peel. I have an old 2003 vehicle that had the door repair due to an accident that same year. Everything looked good until about year 12ish(longer than most people keep there cars) it started to peel. Wraps can be easily replaced and if you get bored of the color you can change it.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Paint it Tiffany Blue if you want, but from an expensive place that's used to full color changes.

Your wrap will fade, but it'll be cheaper initially and you can easily switch colors when it fades.

Look at wrapped work vehicles in your area and ask the drivers of the faded ones how long it lasted. The durability of a wrap against UV rays is geographically dependent and if it's outside the entire time... more exposure. If it was always either in your garage or your job's garage, then wrap it.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wrap..imo body shops cant match the quality and durability of factory paint. Since you plan to keep it forever, you dont want to start seeing it peel. I have an old 2003 vehicle that had the door repair due to an accident that same year. Everything looked good until about year 12ish(longer than most people keep there cars) it started to peel. Wraps can be easily replaced and if you get bored of the color you can change it.
I've misspent many a year around "body shops" ...I'd venture a guess you are using the wrong ones. Mass production bodyshops are probably not HQ paint shops. Not that they are not capable, but everybody had better be very clear on what is expected.

Any decent painter can do a better job than factorys these days, painters actually have to learn how to match the factory orange peel. In other words , they have to teach themselves how to do a crappier job, otherwise their repair will standout, for all the right reasons???
.....but you're getting what you pay for. Factory paint sucks...all of them. It's cheap, it's why a base Bronco comes in under $30k.
A HQ paint job could easily cost $20k....99% of people have no idea what a high quality paint job even looks like....they think "factory" is GREAT.
It's actually become a point of embarrassment for manufacturers, selling $70k trucks with MASSIVE amounts of orange peel in them. It's disgusting.

Even high end Mercedes/Lexus/ other luxury brand clients are paying to have their BRAND NEW cars sanded and re-cleared before they take delivery. I've heard estimates of$15k and up for a car that needs NO body work or repairs. They just want a quality paint job with no orange peel etc etc.

I'd also say 12 years on a repair isn't necessarily horrible depending on how the car was kept.

Anyways, all of this to say, a good paint job that is also a color change will probably run you $15 to $20k, considering all the trim work that may entail...
vs...
a $2000 or $3000 wrap into a color that will probably fall out of favor by the time you need to replace it several years down the road anyways. Do that 2 or 3 times and you're at a break even point...BUT... you changed color to suit your changing tastes and protected the crappy factory paint REALLY well.

I'd say it's a push, but probably personally lean towards a wrap if you cannot tolerate the factory color choices.

Park Service Green Bronco anybody???? ?

unfortunate

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've misspent many a year around "body shops" ...I'd venture a guess you are using the wrong ones. Mass production bodyshops are probably not HQ paint shops. Not that they are not capable, but everybody had better be very clear on what is expected.

Any decent painter can do a better job than factorys these days, painters actually have to learn how to match the factory orange peel. In other words , they have to teach themselves how to do a crappier job, otherwise their repair will standout, for all the right reasons???
.....but you're getting what you pay for. Factory paint sucks...all of them. It's cheap, it's why a base Bronco comes in under $30k.
A HQ paint job could easily cost $20k....99% of people have no idea what a high quality paint job even looks like....they think "factory" is GREAT.
It's actually become a point of embarrassment for manufacturers, selling $70k trucks with MASSIVE amounts of orange peel in them. It's disgusting.

Even high end Mercedes/Lexus/ other luxury brand clients are paying to have their BRAND NEW cars sanded and re-cleared before they take delivery. I've heard estimates of$15k and up for a car that needs NO body work or repairs. They just want a quality paint job with no orange peel etc etc.

I'd also say 12 years on a repair isn't necessarily horrible depending on how the car was kept.

Anyways, all of this to say, a good paint job that is also a color change will probably run you $15 to $20k, considering all the trim work that may entail...
vs...
a $2000 or $3000 wrap into a color that will probably fall out of favor by the time you need to replace it several years down the road anyways. Do that 2 or 3 times and you're at a break even point...BUT... you changed color to suit your changing tastes and protected the crappy factory paint REALLY well.

I'd say it's a push, but probably personally lean towards a wrap if you cannot tolerate the factory color choices.

Lol, yes I evidently used the wrong one. Took more than a decade to figure it out. ? and 12 years is horrible on a repair comparatively to the "bad" factory paint that has zero peeling and still looks good.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm choosing option#3. I'm picking the color I like and go with that.

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

vs...

I've worked in the maintenance dept of 2 Ford paint shops. Part of the problem is that the paint is applied, then a booth later the clear is applied while the paint is still wet, then it goes through the oven and its all baked on. The real hurdle that I see is the process, and there isn't a better or more efficient way of applying paint and still keep up their units per hour without investing HEAVILY in more ovens, conveyors, booths, robots and people. Its a pretty complex operation they have over there.

I'm not so much defending them or their paint, but I see firsthand the obstacles they are faced with when mass producing vehicles.

Sponsored

GrimTripper

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it possible to get your order with no paint and just primer? Never heard anyone doing this, so I figured I'd ask a larger group

SliderJack

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser, FJ40, SLK300, Viper
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Depends if you want just an exterior look (wrap) or door jams and the rest color-changed as well (paint). What's it going to look like with the doors and top off? They going to wrap that too? The underside of the hood?

Dmk08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would buy a different car rather than put a wrap over a nice brand new factory paint job.

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Order black and wrap it.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

get it wrapped. but before you do, get the paint polished and cleaned up really well before getting the wrap put on. you don't want any paint defects or dirt on the paint under the wrap for a few years.
Sponsored