Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 22' Braptor, 2020 BMW M340
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Will this void warranty (specifically the tune)?

Also, how was the install of the IC?
Sponsored

OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
According to your website, the tune only is 50 state legal. Is this correct? If so, it will pass California smog?

And, am I to assume that your warranty is out the window on the tranny and engine with this tune.

Finally, how do you think this is going to compare to the Ford Performance tune that you say is coming for the Raptor? Any updates on the Ford Tune timeline?

Thanks!
The calibration from Whipple is CARB pending and once approved will be legal in all states including CA.

As far as warranty goes that's really on an individual basis. Your warranty doesn't automatically become void when you tune or modify a vehicle. However a dealer can attempt to void a warranty if they feel the item you modified was the cause of the damage which you are needing warrantied. Best bet is to find a mod friendly dealership and become friends with your service writer and technician. Make sure to always tip them well even just for a regular service or small warranty item. It goes a long way. Trust me.

In regards to the Whipple Vs. Ford Performance cal that's really hard to say being that the Ford Performance one is still in testing and no results from that are available to us yet. Aside from the performance benefits of these cals the only real thing that stands out between the two is that the Ford Performance cal will come with a 3/36 warranty where Whipple's at this time doesn't offer that.

I'll check with my Ford Performance rep today and see if I can get any updates on their cal.

Thanks!

OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Will this void warranty (specifically the tune)?

Also, how was the install of the IC?
As far as warranty goes that's really on an individual basis. Your warranty doesn't automatically become void when you tune or modify a vehicle. However a dealer can attempt to void a warranty if they feel the item you modified was the cause of the damage which you are needing warrantied. Best bet is to find a mod friendly dealership and become friends with your service writer and technician. Make sure to always tip them well even just for a regular service or small warranty item. It goes a long way. Trust me.

The intercooler install isn't difficult at all. An hour or two at most with standard hand tools and you should be good to go.

Our friends at SVTPerformance did the install which can be found here.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, Range Rover P525, Audi Etron Chronos
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The calibration from Whipple is CARB pending and once approved will be legal in all states including CA.

In regards to the Whipple Vs. Ford Performance cal that's really hard to say being that the Ford Performance one is still in testing and no results from that are available to us yet. Aside from the performance benefits of these cals the only real thing that stands out between the two is that the Ford Performance cal will come with a 3/36 warranty where Whipple's at this time doesn't offer that.

I'll check with my Ford Performance rep today and see if I can get any updates on their cal.

Thanks!
The other difference that stands out is the Ford tuner will store your factory map in case you want/need to revert back, while the Whipple will not and will require you to ask Whipple to send you a stock file to reload.

raptorusmaximus

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

the inabilty of storing the current file makes me want to wait to see the for tune before I make any descisions. I'm sure the whipple tune will be more horse but I want more control.

Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Some additional questions.

1. This tune claims to remaps the gas pedal. Don't the GOAT modes and/or individual setting in the Braptor already do this? If so do they still do so? Does the remap affect all modes?
2. This tune claims to alter ("improve") both shift points and shift strategies. Same question as above, is it compatible with automatic and manual modes as well as the associated changes that various GOAT modes already change the TCU? I would like a lot more detail on what this is actually doing, across all modes, auto, manual and GOAT modes.
3. Is it possible to leave out all pedal and TCU changes?

Also, still didn't see any community response to my question in post #37, probably best to be answered directly by Whipple or @LethalPerformance . Thanks.

OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Some additional questions.

1. This tune claims to remaps the gas pedal. Don't the GOAT modes and/or individual setting in the Braptor already do this? If so do they still do so? Does the remap affect all modes?

Yes - all modes are changed and their specific characteristics are retained. Essentially, the GOAT modes all stay the same, but are just enhanced with more power/tq. So even, though shift schedules by Whipple are upgraded, they will still follow the programming that Ford has from the factory in regards to 2wd/4wd/high/low.

2. This tune claims to alter ("improve") both shift points and shift strategies. Same question as above, is it compatible with automatic and manual modes as well as the associated changes that various GOAT modes already change the TCU? I would like a lot more detail on what this is actually doing, across all modes, auto, manual and GOAT modes.

The TCM is indeed flashed so there is an adjustment to shift points, transmission pressure, etc. The rev limiter, as of what we were told, is not raised (or if it is, very minimal). As with any tune, the TCM adjustments are going to be noticed in automatic cars as the transmission is derived via the computer.
3. Is it possible to leave out all pedal and TCU changes?

No - you'll want to look at a JB4 if you're looking for an increase in power but unchanged TCM.
Check this link:
https://www.lethalperformance.com/burger-motorsports-jb4-tuner-2021-ford-bronco-2-3l-2-7l.html

Also, still didn't see any community response to my question in post #37, probably best to be answered directly by Whipple or @LethalPerformance . Thanks.

OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
whp or crank hp? I'd assume whp since losses are a bit of a WAG and the focus has been whp. Based on that, the numbers do not make sense. 91 oct stock vs. 91 oct with tune and intercooler (as per OP) = +43 hp.
60hp/80tq is the flywheel estimated gain

Yamapro

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
60hp/80tq is the flywheel estimated gain
So the real world, at the tires, gain is really 43hp? I purchased the whipple tuner for my 2.7 and I’ve been happy with it but this seems like a lot of bait and switch to me. Why is there a dyno chart showing a 60hp gain if there wasn’t a dyno run with a 60hp gain result? Is the Bronco Raptor with the Whipple tune making 404hp at the tires or is it really 384hp at the tires? If I purchase this tune and intercooler what hp will my Raptor be making at the tires on a dyno?

OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So the real world, at the tires, gain is really 43hp? I purchased the whipple tuner for my 2.7 and I’ve been happy with it but this seems like a lot of bait and switch to me. Why is there a dyno chart showing a 60hp gain if there wasn’t a dyno run with a 60hp gain result? Is the Bronco Raptor with the Whipple tune making 404hp at the tires or is it really 384hp at the tires? If I purchase this tune and intercooler what hp will my Raptor be making at the tires on a dyno?
No. The power gains on the dyno sheet are RWHP numbers not FWHP numbers. They are STD numbers with a smoothing factor of 5. SAE with the same smoothing would be a bit lower than STD. The dyno sheet is below for you to review.

If you purchased the Stg 1 kit your results should be very similar to Whipple's keeping in mind that they are STD number and that numbers from one dyno to another may vary especially in different weather climates/conditions.

Let us know if you have any other questions in the meantime.
Ford Bronco Whipple Calibration Tuning for Bronco Raptor - Performance Gain Numbers Are In w/ Dyno Chart braptorwhippletuni

Sponsored

Yamapro

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No. The power gains on the dyno sheet are RWHP numbers not FWHP numbers. They are STD numbers with a smoothing factor of 5. SAE with the same smoothing would be a bit lower than STD. The dyno sheet is below for you to review.

If you purchased the Stg 1 kit your results should be very similar to Whipple's keeping in mind that they are STD number and that numbers from one dyno to another may vary especially in different weather climates/conditions.

Let us know if you have any other questions in the meantime.
Ford Bronco Whipple Calibration Tuning for Bronco Raptor - Performance Gain Numbers Are In w/ Dyno Chart braptorwhippletuni
Thank you for making that clear

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

My Friend Flicka

Black Diamond
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond Bronco, Acura, Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Drove this today, lots of super technical questions on here……

It’s faster and more fun!!!!

4B43B294-CEC7-4E25-B4DE-3F218BDCB978.jpeg

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I posted answers to my own questions above in a new thread a bit earlier today. Whipple was fantastically fast and open. I was impressed.

Roostracing

Raptor
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Ford Bronco, 1964 F100, 1997 F250 powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Not sure if this was answered or not. I apologize if it was.

What are the rwhp/rwtq gains from the tune and no intercooler?
Sponsored