Sponsored

White line-x / bedliner spray on the cheap hard top?

xusarmy

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Depends on who is doing it. This is one of the things I do on the side, so of course I would love to say "No, professional application only". But in all reality if you have a concept of prepping and painting, an air compressor with enough CFM to spray it, and an area outside that is ok to get some overspray on, you can do it at home and save $.
The kit is more or less $200. You would need a couple of good quality scotchbrite pads and some good 3M tape/masking material.
Tape off all the rubber seals and the entire bottom/front perimeter really well to avoid getting it inside or on rubber seals.
Scotchbrite WELL every single square inch. Clean it off with a quality wax and grease remover (or alcohol). Use a tack cloth and wipe it once dry.
Follow the directions to a "T".
Dry to handle later the same day.
To do it, I charge (on current Jeep tops) $500 for a 2 door and 7-800 for a 4 door with the freedom panels all done as well.
Other places might/probably charge more.

No issues other than IF you put it on, it is a decision that you live with. It is not removable easily or cheaply, and I wouldn't even begin to try.
Aging, it does well. If you do white or black, I've seen no issues with cracking, fading after several years.
I did one for a guy who wanted a House of Kolor blue candy mixed in the tintable version. Looked great for a while. But candy paint does not like UV. I do NOT recommend it.
Using an OD green in a tintable works very well and looks outstanding for those wanting the military look. I've done several.
Cleaning, just regular car wash is fine. I have a long handled medium bristle brush I use to scrub mine when I wash it.
This is exactly what I intend to do. The Bronco will be parked in the garage where it belongs when not in use. I live in Texas, UV kills ;-)

Sponsored

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It does. IT's not indestructible or rubber though.
It will gouge and actually peel if not prepped properly before applying it.
But it is a lot more durable than paint.
And you can go back and touch up areas that need it if it gets too scratched.
If you are pushing over pine trees 3" thick it will take a beating and mess up. Normal tail riding and everyday use: no issue.
Hey Dave. Shot in the dark here, but do you know any good custom paint shops in Daytona Beach area? I've spoken with a few and they didn't seem on top of it!

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey Dave. Shot in the dark here, but do you know any good custom paint shops in Daytona Beach area? I've spoken with a few and they didn't seem on top of it!
Not aware of any down that way.
Lots of custom shops, may have to search more towards the Tampa area?

ABorges

Base
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm also interested in going with some sort of Line-X on the roof. Anyone with experience know how truly durable it is? Problem I see with going with white means scratches/gouges would show the original gray really noticeably. Or are scratches just not a thing with Line-X?

Is it something that needs to be re-applied after x number of years?
As a bed liner, you cant beat it, never fades and you can't scratch it or gouge it!!

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not aware of any down that way.
Lots of custom shops, may have to search more towards the Tampa area?
I reached out to local Line-X dealer/shop in area. Let's see what they come back with. Tampa's fun, but quite a haul.

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I reached out to local Line-X dealer/shop in area. Let's see what they come back with. Tampa's fun, but quite a haul.
Spoke with local Line-X dealer. He told me not to Line-X a top in white. Definitely way to hard to keep clean and won't hold up for the long term. Better off painting.
Sponsored