Sponsored

Who’s getting this 684 HP setup on their 2.3 Bronco????

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wow. Its nice to know if you go 2.3 the ridiculous potential you have available if you want it. No V8 can be tuned and built so easily as these Ecoboost engines. Its awesome.
Well.... slap pistons and a cheap turbo on a 460 and you'll make 600+. Could be done in a weekend. But no engine in a modern vehicle is correct.
Sponsored

splatrd

Big Bend
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado, Chevy Camaro SS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If I am reading correctly, there is little about that engine that is original Ford. Custom block, forged crank, pistons and connecting rods. Special high pressure fuel pump, injectors, etc. That would be a very high stressed engine with likely short life span. Would be much better off will larger displacement low stress engine. I would love for the coyote engine to be fitted long before a high horse 4 cylinder. I would imagine that the v8 would actually get better MPG and live much longer. I am a die hard manual transmission fan, and am settling for the 2.3 just for that reason. All my cars now a V8 rear wheel drive.

D K

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base

D K

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Base
Stock block, stock crank (although some versions of the build use aftermarket cranks), stock head (re worked), custom rotating assembly and custom cams obviously.

If I am reading correctly, there is little about that engine that is original Ford. Custom block, forged crank, pistons and connecting rods.
Not necessarily, N/A engines rely on high rpms to make power which is both inefficient and taxing on the engine AND not ideal for off road driving

Special high pressure fuel pump, injectors, etc. That would be a very high stressed engine with likely short life span. Would be much better off will larger displacement low stress engine.

Sponsored

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Oh man! You guys in the US get to have ALL THE FUN. Fucking Europe....
Yeah! But Europe gets the Jimny!!??

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Wow. Its nice to know if you go 2.3 the ridiculous potential you have available if you want it. No V8 can be tuned and built so easily as these Ecoboost engines. Its awesome.
I’m not sure I’d consider this easier to tune and build than a V8. New rods, crank, pistons, custom cam, bigger turbo, high pressure fuel pump, larger injectors, good tune. Can just as easily take a V8 and do similar work, change the cam, throw on supercharger or turbos, and tune for 700-800+ rwhp. And past that point the problem isn’t as much making the power but upgrading everything else to handle it, which will likely be the case here as well. How long is the rest of the drivetrain going to last when it was built for 300hp not close to 700?

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m not sure I’d consider this easier to tune and build than a V8. New rods, crank, pistons, custom cam, bigger turbo, high pressure fuel pump, larger injectors, good tune. Can just as easily take a V8 and do similar work, change the cam, throw on supercharger or turbos, and tune for 700-800+ rwhp. And past that point the problem isn’t as much making the power but upgrading everything else to handle it, which will likely be the case here as well. How long is the rest of the drivetrain going to last when it was built for 300hp not close to 700?
With a naturally aspirated V8 you have to throw big power adders at them and build them to make much more power over stock. A tune rarely ever gets you more then 12hp.

With the Ecoboost engines they respond amazingly with just a tune. You can get 50 to 70hp and 60 to 80tq from just a simple tune.

Also V8s weight up to 300lbs more then the small Ecoboosts. And that extra weight makes a huge difference how the vehicle performs in the front end.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
With a naturally aspirated V8 you have to throw big power adders at them and build them to make much more power over stock. A tune rarely ever gets you more then 12hp.

With the Ecoboost engines they respond amazingly with just a tune. You can get 50 to 70hp and 60 to 80tq from just a simple tune.

Also V8s weight up to 300lbs more then the small Ecoboosts. And that extra weight makes a huge difference how the vehicle performs in the front end.
Well yea, an eco boost engine already has the power adder, I never said naturally aspirated would get those high numbers, but the 2.3 isn’t naturally aspirated to start with. It’s a detuned power adder so of course simply tuning it will have a nice jump, but you’re not getting 600hp without a lot more work. Take a stock supercharged V8 and add a tune and you’ll get more out of it too over naturally aspirated that’s basically the same block. And simply bolting on a supercharger with a tune to a naturally aspirated engine will net you similar or higher hp to all the work thrown into this 684hp 2.3, and bolting on a supercharger and tuning is much easier. My point was basically other than just a tune, same amount of work will still get you more hp from a V8, so it’s not easier to build them up. Not to say it’s not impressive, or that I wouldn’t enjoy having it. Just saying it’s not any easier to get high hp.

plus on the 2.3, that nice jump from just a tune doesn’t even get you to the starting hp of most new naturally aspirated V8s. Still a great increase, but just a tune on both and the V8 still has more power.

Last edited:

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well yea, an eco boost engine already has the power adder, I never said naturally aspirated would get those high numbers, but the 2.3 isn’t naturally aspirated to start with. It’s a detuned power adder so of course simply tuning it will have a nice jump, but you’re not getting 600hp without a lot more work. Take a stock supercharged V8 and add a tune and you’ll get more out of it too over naturally aspirated that’s basically the same block. And simply bolting on a supercharger with a tune to a naturally aspirated engine will net you similar or higher hp to all the work thrown into this 684hp 2.3, and bolting on a supercharger and tuning is much easier. My point was basically other than just a tune, same amount of work will still get you more hp from a V8, so it’s not easier to build them up. Not to say it’s not impressive, or that I wouldn’t enjoy having it. Just saying it’s not any easier to get high hp.

plus on the 2.3, that nice jump from just a tune doesn’t even get you to the starting hp of most new naturally aspirated V8s. Still a great increase, but just a tune on both and the V8 still has more power.
I understand what your saying but I'm comparing stock engines and cost. I figure If where talking about the price of engines a Ecoboost engine cost almost half the price of a Naturally aspirated v8. A 5.0 coyote crate engine is $9500. A 2.3 Ecoboost is $5000. A supercharged V8 will be much more money. Example Hellcat engine.

If you look at rear wheel dyno horse power numbers a 2.7 Ecoboost is already comparable to a 5.0 coyote. Especially the last gen coyote. All it needs is a simple tune to surpass it. And then if you spend the extra money you saved on the Ecoboost and build the engine your blowing it out of the water in Horsepower for around the same price. $9,500 ($5,000 engine + $4,500 mods)into the Ecoboost 2.3 around 650hp vs $9500 Coyote V8 stock 400hp. A 2.7 would be even more powerful. Obviously these cost numbers may be off a bit. This is just a rough estimate scenario.

Sponsored

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I understand what your saying but I'm comparing stock engines and cost. I figure If where talking about the price of engines a Ecoboost engine cost almost half the price of a Naturally aspirated v8. A 5.0 coyote crate engine is $9500. A 2.3 Ecoboost is $5000. A supercharged V8 will be much more money. Example Hellcat engine.

If you look at rear wheel dyno horse power numbers a 2.7 Ecoboost is already comparable to a 5.0 coyote. Especially the last gen coyote. All it needs is a simple tune to surpass it. And then if you spend the extra money you saved on the Ecoboost and build the engine your blowing it out of the water in Horsepower for around the same price. $9,500 ($5,000 engine + $4,500 mods)into the Ecoboost 2.3 around 650hp vs $9500 Coyote V8 stock 400hp. A 2.7 would be even more powerful. Obviously these cost numbers may be off a bit. This is just a rough estimate scenario.
Yea price is a different point, but that doesn’t make the work any easier or harder to get there. Similar amounts of work on each motor still net better results on the V8. If price is a factor then you probably wouldn’t be comparing to the V8 to start with anyways, more costs all around with fuel consumption and likely higher insurance costs and maintenance costs and what not too. Unless you go used, but then it’s a whole different ball game too. But you’re also looking at crate engine prices and just for 2 engines. When you compare the actually vehicle prices things can be a lot closer. Can get multiple new V8 engine vehicles starting in the mid $30k price range. While the eco boosts may dip into high $20k in the right vehicle and right trim, it’s still closer to $30k or more nowadays in most specs. So only maybe a few grand difference at best for a smaller eco boost. Dump a few grand into the eco boost and sure ya might match or just beat the stock V8, but you’re already putting more work into it with the V8 just stock, and then the V8 still has its warranty intact so if you’re really talking costs that’s a big factor. And what vehicle it is plays a huge factor too. Bronco looks to easily be able to hit $50-60k and still have a small eco boost. For the price of a first edition can literally get a hellcat and have 700hp without any work and under warranty. Yes they’re vastly different vehicles for different reasons, but for the price you’re getting a whole lot more power from the hellcat and no work at all needed. Heck just recently saw a used 2016 hellcat for sale near me for $33k with 10k miles. Try getting an eco boost to 700hp for less than that(price of car and mods).

bronconagurski

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 corvette and 2022 Maverick Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'd be happy with 450hp. If Jeep puts a Hemi in the Wrangler I'm jumping ship.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There’s no replacement for displacement but the ease and cost effectiveness of adding significant power to factory turbo cars is what attracts many buyers. I’ve had turbo Subaru’s for the last 13 years and very easily and cheaply added 100 whp and almost 150wtq. Very difficult to get that power NA

I intend to mod the Bronco as I have with my Subarus. I expect the aftermarket to be huge for the Bronco.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

it's impressive. but i think having a 4x4 with that much power will be too much. the drive ability will be ruined. but, seeing how the engine can take that power is nice to see. i'd love to eventually do efficiency mods like catch can, intercooler, intake, and eventually mild tune.
Sponsored