Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 94 YJ, 04 JK, 17 Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Reasons for first year from an automotive engineer.

1) Issues are covered by warranty
2) Cost reductions haven’t gone into place. Sound deadening, heat shielding, higher quality parts are typically the first things to go in subsequent years. EDIT: I’ve got numbers on my temp knobs….
3) The bronco is adult legos, I’m going to end up replacing most components anyways - looking at you tie rods.
4) Software bugs can be updated over the air. No need to go to the dealership for a flash.
5) *MAYBE many years down the line my 21MY may have a higher resale, like 64.5 mustang.

*highly speculative and I’m never going to sell this truck.
Nailed it
Sponsored

BroncoBarn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco Who buys a 1st year anything? 5303B585-CFC7-4039-994B-2726208E4421

Glad I jumped on a demo unit and enjoying the heck out of it instead of playing the waiting game. I’m guessing our ordered Bronco will be getting pushed to 2023.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So the number one weak point other than the tie rods is probably the steering rack. Easy fix is available.

The next weak point is the M190, don't beat it like it has one ton axles it will be ok.

f18f_guy

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Despite the impression that first year vehicles are a disaster, I have had exactly zero problems with my 2021 Bronco 2 door 2.7 Outer Banks with Lux and Tow. I took delivery of my Dirt Mountain Bronco built Aug 5th, 2021 on November 19th, and have put 20,000 miles both on and off road on it.

So while I will be the first to admit that first year cars carry a greater inherent risk of defects and problems... not all of them are an unmitigated shit show. I will even go as far as to say that I have been lucky... at least until last night when I got hit by a rock to the windshield (this time it cracked the windshield and I was pissed).

+1.

7,500 miles and no issues.

Well….driver side front MIC panel leaked, but dealership replaced in less than 36 hours, which rectified the problem. Other than that, no issues.

The only substantive complaint I have is the lame stock tires on my OB.

Also, my wife’s 2019 Volvo XC90 T6 R-series is a total shit show. Definitely not the first year. It’s worse than a Keurig coffee maker. Our Bronco is the safe bet for sure.

The first year notion seems a bit dramatic if you compare it to other cars currently on the market. I have a neighbor with a BMW X5 and it’s a long term engineering project for the local dealership. Again, not a first year model.

I love my Bronco.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I ordered a first year Bronco, but got pushed to MY22.

Sponsored

JDS

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TT Roadster, Reatta convertible.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Who buys a first year anything?

1) the person who wants a specific color that may not exist in year 2.
2) speculative risk takers. I mean hey those 30 bitcoins you bought for 10k, the 5000 shares of Tesla stock for 20k and the original Banksy worked out. Why not a Bronco?
3) but basically it’s as the Hives once said “Because I Wanna”

We_Love_Tacos

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco First Edition 2Dr Lightning Blue
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Reasons for first year from an automotive engineer.

1) Issues are covered by warranty
2) Cost reductions haven’t gone into place. Sound deadening, heat shielding, higher quality parts are typically the first things to go in subsequent years. EDIT: I’ve got numbers on my temp knobs….
3) The bronco is adult legos, I’m going to end up replacing most components anyways - looking at you tie rods.
4) Software bugs can be updated over the air. No need to go to the dealership for a flash.
5) *MAYBE many years down the line my 21MY may have a higher resale, like 64.5 mustang.

*highly speculative and I’m never going to sell this truck.
I usually try to not buy a first year but bought the FE for everything in t you listed above and primarily as I’m passing this vehicle down and keeping it in the family.

But some first year vehicles I’ve owned:

2019 Subaru Ascent Touring - Nothing but problems, tranny, electrical, mechanical, you name it. I unloaded after 19k miles on year one. Was my travel baseball rig.

2011 F250 SD Lariat - First year with the new 6.7 diesel. Lost a turbo and covered under warranty. No other issues.

2012 Tesla Signature Model S Performance - First 1000 made. Issues, lots of small issues they made right. Everything from panel gaps, to big touchscreen going out, drive motor started making a small hum and they replaced immediately. Excellent service but I had to drive 2.5-3.5 hours in any direction to get help so I sold it (mobile service not set up yet, no service centers by me and was promised one that took years later).

My wife’s 2016 BMW X1 is the best car we’ve ever owned. Never an issue through warranty which at the time covered all maintenance for 4 years (they no longer do that, it’s shortened). After warranty just had a bad sensor for an issue. Thatvehicle is going to my son for his first car it has been so good.

All in all, it’s always a crapshoot but warranty covered everything on the vehicles. Only one I knew would never be right was that Subaru. So many issues.

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Retro vehicles look great for about 3 years, then their luster wears away.
Bronco isn't too retro though and I think it's styling will look good for awhile. Heck, look at Dodge Challengers, they still look amazing though the design changes have been very subtle since it was reintroduced.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
To be honest... my kids are now old enough for skiing/camping/hiking/off-roading/etc. They'll only be in my house for so long and I don't want to lose those years while I wait around for the bugs to be fixed.
This. Time waits for no man. There is a cost to waiting, since the thing called "time", no one is making more of it.

That said, a new Bronco isn't needed (or even the best item), for doing those things. The people I don't get, are those sitting around with no 4x4 waiting years, missing out on all the fun they could be having. (Or buying an adventure vehicle for no adventure.)

I wouldn't mind a Bronco, but am fine and have had loads of off-road exploring and top down fun with my Jeeps. I'd say spend money/time wisely, on things that offer experiences rather than mainly ownership of stuff.

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would like your opinion on a few things.
1) what do you think of the gauges? I prefer dials
2) It would be nice if a person could lay down full length in the rear and be able to close the hatch behind them, as I do in my B2.
3) Where do you put a winch on this rig without purchase a bumper that's sticks out by a foot.
4) Not a 100% on the rear hatch opening to the side like Jeep. I like having an overhead hatch to duck under like traditional Bronco do. I use the inside of the tire carrier to hold my table.
5) Did I mention I love Broncos, no matter what year, they are a head turning American classic.
1) Post in thread 'Is this The only way to shrink the digital speedo/tach?'
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...nk-the-digital-speedo-tach.37129/post-1218350
Sponsored