Sponsored

Who Cried when Old Yeller picked the WRONG gear ratio?

spars332

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
*Raises Hand* I've searched but, have not found a definitive answer for a "Noob" on going offroad. I apologize if I missed a thread. I've never driven offroad, I've been a passenger but, I never asked about tires or rearend axle ratios. So for an offroad setup for a daily driver (No extreme rock climbing) what rearend and tire size?
Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
*Raises Hand* I've searched but, have not found a definitive answer for a "Noob" on going offroad. I apologize if I missed a thread. I've never driven offroad, I've been a passenger but, I never asked about tires or rearend axle ratios. So for an offroad setup for a daily driver (No extreme rock climbing) what rearend and tire size?
defiantly go mid range.

one of the two middle range Rear ends. If your just going trail hopping or dune running. No crawling

I’d go. 4.27 rear end with 265/70r17 or 285/70r17

I imagine that’s going to be the most common combo. Still very capable yet comfortable and easy to live with daily

OP
OP

spars332

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
defiantly go mid range.

one of the two middle range Rear ends. If your just going trail hopping or dune running. No crawling

I imagine that’s going to be the most common combo. Still very capable yet comfortable and easy to live with daily
Thank you for the response! I appreciate the advice greatly!!

Shane

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser and 2001 F250 SD 4WD 7.3l
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
defiantly go mid range.

Spot on IMHO...

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Figure out what tire size you want to run and go from there. Switching tires is cheap and easy.....compared to regearing two differentials. $$$$$$$

Looking at the rumored 37" capability????
There's a WILD difference between the 32" tire and the rumoured 37's. Even when I compared 33's to 35's, you'd be better off with the right gear....there was no good compromise.
Think you might tow a small camper/trailer/pair of jet skis/boat ??? Favor the lower gears.

Gotta keep that in mind. 37's, or any tire for that matter, that is geared incorrectly will make you hate the damn thing. It will either be a dog at low speed or scream at hiway speeds.
If the calculators are inbetween gears.... For drivability, I'd go with a touch lower gear,
Find the manufacturers specs on the tire, especially the revolutions per mile, and enter that in a reputable gearing calculator.
A good goal is 2000 engine rpm @ 70mph in top gear.
Best/coolest gearing calcultor I have found:
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
Have fun!

OP
OP

spars332

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Figure out what tire size you want to run and go from there. Switching tires is cheap and easy.....compared to regearing two differentials. $$$$$$$

Looking at the rumored 37" capability????
There's a WILD difference between the 32" tire and the rumoured 37's. Even when I compared 33's to 35's, you'd be better off with the right gear....there was no good compromise.
Think you might tow a small camper/trailer/pair of jet skis/boat ??? Favor the lower gears.

Gotta keep that in mind. 37's, or any tire for that matter, that is geared incorrectly will make you hate the damn thing. It will either be a dog at low speed or scream at hiway speeds.
If the calculators are inbetween gears.... For drivability, I'd go with a touch lower gear,
Find the manufacturers specs on the tire, especially the revolutions per mile, and enter that in a reputable gearing calculator.
A good goal is 2000 engine rpm @ 70mph in top gear.
Best/coolest gearing calcultor I have found:
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
Have fun!
Awesome thank you Hoosier!

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What's the "currently rumored" OD ratio (Auto/Manual)? 0.80 to 1 ?????

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
What's the "currently rumored" OD ratio (Auto/Manual)? 0.80 to 1 ?????
0.6357:1 for the auto
Around 0.7:1 for the manual

on the 34.4” tires with 4.7 rear end and automatic trans
that’s only 2042RPM AT 70mph

Cooknn

Badlands
First Name
David Cook
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

...on the 34.4” tires with 4.7 rear end and automatic trans
that’s only 2042RPM AT 70mph
I plan on that combination of tire and gear. Good choice?

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Agree with the detailed info above. Unlike some who want to put 40’s on it, I am running 33.3’s 295/70-17 on a 4 door JK now with 4.10 gears, and miss the 285’s I was running before because they behaved better.

With the Bronco, bigger tires may be the easier way to gain ground clearance. But there is a daily driver trade off there for extra capability that you don’t need most places off road.

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You are going to have folks come on here and say "the 10 speed transmission is a game changer".:rolleyes:

There is no substitute for a low (high numerically) set of axle gears when you are running large tires.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Food for thought when you're trying to figure out which Tire Size and Gear Ratio you want.....

A former Co-Worker who drag raced always spoke about "True Gear". That's the calculation of the Tire's O.D. & Gear Ratio to calculate the "True Gear" that the driveline sees.

With that in mind and my rough calculations.....
32" w/4.27 (TG 2.779)
34.4 w/4.46 (TG 2.695)
37 w/4.7 (TG 2.621)

As all of these combinations True Gear are "relatively" close to each other, they "should" accelerated and perform (within Butt Dyno) basically the same as.....

So, if someone can verify my calculations, I'd appreciate it, as I could be totally off.
Sponsored

Last edited: