Sponsored

Who does 5-tire rotations? Getting pushback from service.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My 5-tire rotation was working fine until I just punctured a side wall. Now I have 4 tires with 20k miles and a brand new spare. I plan to rotate the 4 on the ground and go back to a 5-tire rotation when they are replaced.
Dealer has been happy to do it for me.
I was curious about how folks deal with that…so, once you have significant miles on a set - you lose the ability to rotate the 5th in if it’s new. So, you hang onto it until you burn through the remaining 4? Wouldn’t that UV burnt tire be just as problematic 30-40k miles later?
Sponsored

RobBob22

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250 SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

During 1st service and the last couple of oil changes I've done my dealer said it wasn't necessary, so I didn't push back. However, if I wanted to start doing it would it be too late at this point? I've got 15,000km (around 9000 miles) on the 4 mounted on the Bronco. The spare hasn't been used.
I'd say you can comfortably rotate that in w/o issue, but I'd swap it in sooner than your next change just because. If for some reason your transfer case were to spontaneously combust after doing this it sure as heck won't be because you rotated a tire.

Honestly, this is why I don't get my vehicle serviced at dealers; oil changes, brakes, tires... pretty much anyone should generally be able to do. None of these are worth the dealer markup and these jobs always go to the least experienced mechanics in the shop.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Simple answer is they didn’t want to mess with the spare tire. Lot of people in the workforce are starting to have some entitlement issues.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Requesting 5-tire rotation. Service guy is pushing back saying “nobody does that.” Spare didn’t have TPS so I ordered one. They want to charge a full hour to reprogram the sensors with each rotation. Also got some story with enough uneven tread wear with that 5th tire being rotated in every 5,000 miles that it is gonna create unnecessary wear on the transfer case and other stuff. Is it this much of a headache with those of you doing 5-tire rotations? Is Ford Service giving you grief or are you getting them done elsewhere? They are making it sound like it is never done ESPECIALLY on new Broncos. I was under the impression it was a fairly common thing.
BULLSHIT!
I had this same issue at my dealer which I've posted about. FIRST - THERE IS A TPMS SENSOR IN YOUR SPARE! My dealer also told me there was no sensor, but after I showed them the following video, they realized they were wrong!

This Ford video states at 1:12 into the video "The spare tire on your Bronco also has a TPMS sensor" Don't get screwed paying for what you already have!!!

After some arguing, my dealer did the 5 tire rotation I requested. BTW, the spare should go to the rear right position to start as the rears wear fastest. Make sure you rotate the 5 tires the same way every time. Your differentials will work BETTER if all your tires are worn equally. If you don't rotate the spare and use it after the other 4 have worn down, they the differentials will not work as well. "unnecessary wear on the transfer case" your dealer mentioned is BULLSHIT.

Also, look at tire rotation in the owner's manual. Ford recommends a 5 tire rotation on the Bronco. Show this and the video to your dealer and let them understand what a bunch of idiots they are! The dealers have zero experience with this because Bronco is the first vehicle they've sold with full spare same as the other four.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's less bought and paid for when it comes as part of the $60k vehicle then it would be buying a 5th tire during replacement. The spare in the back is just that, a spare. It's like insurance, you hope you never use it but you have it if you need it.
1) You'll get 25% longer life using 5 tires than 4
2) If you have 4 worn tires & 1 new spare, when you need that spare, your differentials will not work properly since the spare will rotate more slowly. This is bad for your vehicle.
3) Spares in the sun will degrade in 6 years or so and need replacement. Replace a new tire? Not a great strategy.
5) If you want different tires when you replace, your spare will be different or you'll buy a new spare
6) Most spares have different rims & tires. Bronco spares is identical to the other 4
7) Ford Bronco manual recommends 5 tire rotation

Sponsored

JimmyG

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and Cadillacs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It actually recommends a 5 tire rotation in the manual.
Yup!
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...ingEnabled=False&userMarket=USA&buildtype=web

From the manual:

"For the best tire life, a five tire rotation is recommended that includes the matching spare tire mounted on the back of the vehicle. This rotation requires a forced re-learning of your tire pressure monitor system sensors by your vehicle, and should be performed by an authorized dealer or a service center to make sure the tire pressure monitoring system provides proper warning at all times. When performing the tire rotation yourself, a four tire rotation is recommended, without using the spare tire in the rotation, so that no tire pressure monitor system sensor re-learn is required. If a five tire rotation is performed without a tire pressure monitor system sensor re-learn, the system may not provide a low tire pressure warning when necessary."

Jack3white

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My service guys said why replace 5 when you need new tires instead of 4, I kinda agree with that
Agreed...I drive about 25,000 miles per year. So instead of needing tires at 50,000 miles, I'll need them at 60,000. And instead of buying 4 tires at 50k, I have to buy 5 only 5-6 months later. I'd say you're paying in cash for what you gain in time. This shouldn't even be a debate. (and Service Departments/Techs might already know this)

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can't believe ford service advisors on here are defending a service dept who defrauded a customer by charging them for a TPMS sensor they already own.
And defend service advisors who treat customers adversarially.

FYI, your job is customer service.

And the arrogance of saying you were never spoon fed new/relevant information on new models by Ford? How about using some personal time to educate yourself?
Instead of spending energy bitching about customers to other employees, you could work on creating a higher level of service that entices customers to choose your shop over competitors.
In this way you grow, become a more valuable employee and have more options to pursue higher pay.

I'll only be using Ford Service for "free" work, either through warranty or points.

Solfive

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You would actually be surprised at the crap that comes out of customer's mouths "Well I read online that..." and its the stupidest thing anyone has ever said in the world.

Keep in mind that although forums do contain excellent advise, it also holds opinions and information from people that believe the world is flat.
While I believe what you’re saying is true, annoying, and probably pretty prevalent about customers, it’s also true that a service advisor who “doesn’t have every detail of every vehicles manual memorized” shouldn’t spew less than factual information to a customer who relies on them as a knowledgeable and trusted authority. Nothing wrong with simply saying we don’t know but we’ll find the correct answer.

Sponsored

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the dealership i do mine at charges me $25 for a rotation, 4 tires or 5 tires. No issues doing a 5 tire with them

Paughco

Outer Banks
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Snoqualmie Valley, Washington, USA, Planet Earth
Vehicle(s)
2001 F-150 XLT and 2022 Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I plan to get my '22 OBX serviced at Pierre Ford Service Center in Seattle, the same place I've been taking my 2001 F-150 since 2005 or so. I paid for the full-on service when I bought my Bronco, as I plan to have all my service done by the dealer. I'll ask my Service Rep, Greg, to give me the Ford-recommended 5-tire rotation with each 5,000 mile interval, 7-qt oil change. I don't expect any fuss on this. Plus, I have bought all my new tires for the F-150 at the Pierre Service Center, since I learned that they can sell me a set of Pirelli Scorpion tires for about a hunnert bux less than the local Tire Discount place I had used before. I'll tell Greg, "Hey - when it's time for new tires, I'll be buying five tires instead of just four!"

Probably will go for slightly cooler looking tires to replace the stock tires, but that's a whole different subject.

Seeya
ATB

BroncoDymond88

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sorento
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

1) You'll get 25% longer life using 5 tires than 4
2) If you have 4 worn tires & 1 new spare, when you need that spare, your differentials will not work properly since the spare will rotate more slowly. This is bad for your vehicle.
3) Spares in the sun will degrade in 6 years or so and need replacement. Replace a new tire? Not a great strategy.
5) If you want different tires when you replace, your spare will be different or you'll buy a new spare
6) Most spares have different rims & tires. Bronco spares is identical to the other 4
7) Ford Bronco manual recommends 5 tire rotation
Thanks for this, now I can properly go back to the dealer and argue with them about it :)

wbrainbow

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 C-10, 2022 Black Diamond, 2007 Harley Davidso
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I did it myself. The knuckleheads at the dealer couldn’t even put the skid plate back correctly after the oil change.

wbrainbow

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 C-10, 2022 Black Diamond, 2007 Harley Davidso
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Me