Sponsored

Who else is caught in the in-between vehicles lurch?

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just no comprehension or consideration to an older vehicle with longer stopping distances.
Man, you got that right! Or how about someone parking three inches in front of you on the curb with no realization that power steering wasn't always a thing.
Sponsored

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
NGL, this winter's cold snap in the Midwest burned up a fair amount of my reserves for patience daily driving a V8 RWD sports car. It's also not a real great option to go too far off-road and I'd like to get some camping in this season. With the my Bronco delivery somewhere between six months to a year or so away I've been seriously considering picking up something to cover the in-between gap. It's unusual for me to even shop for short term options as I've kept pretty much every vehicle I've owned 5+ years.

Kind of leaning towards a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk or Wrangler that's a few years old to not take a huge hit on depreciation. I'd prefer not to sacrifice any more equity I have from trading in the Camaro than I have to. I have a few other options in mind and would surely be open to more.
Iā€™m about to sell my daily driver and drive a 2005 Honda Civic with 294,000 miles with no a/c and a windshield that leaks... feel better?

chipstar

Badlands
First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sold my WRX in October before a cross-country trip in the family SUV for 2 months. Have been down to the 1 car since, and getting antsy for sure. Considering a used Wrangler or maybe a 2019+ Miata for the summer. Or I can just ride my bikes more.

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I thought I was nowhere near "gap" status until the other day when my Xterra started making funny noises and the "check engine" light came on (only 88,000 miles). Turns out it's the timing belt, but I was told that replacing the timing belt might not be a cure. Could be other things going wrong. Now I'm just hoping that the repair buys me another year.

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Iā€™m just chugging along in my 9 year old Ford Edge. Itā€™s on the third battery, third set of tires, about 120K miles. Did the 100K tuneup on schedule, recently had the transmission fluid changed (dealer-only, others afraid to do it) which was overpriced but necessary.

itā€™s about time to do another oil change, rotate the tires and check the alignment. I change the coolant more often than requires. Thatā€™s for a day trip to Firestone.

Iā€™ve replaced headlight bulbs myself a few times, some auxiliary bulbs too. Air filters. Ran over over a nail a few times over the years; pretty easy around here due to constant construction. But overall itā€™s been an absolute champ.

I think itā€™ll get me to the finish line just fine.

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I jumped the gun as well and sold my Xterra back in October. I got lucky in that my friend decided to buy a Jeep at the same time so I've been driving his old Xterra, with the understanding that I'll do the legwork to sell it for him when I don't need it anymore.

I also got "lucky" and my boss was selling a 2004 Lexus GX470 with severe rust issues for $500. The rust issues I knew about and can deal with/ignore. But the power steering decided to completely shit the bed less than a week after I took it home. So, since buying it at the end of January, it has spent more time on jack stands than on the road and I've dumped $800 into it to get it running. Oh well.

rsmag9

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford's
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sure beats the Volvo 850 skedan I had to drive for 6 months while building a short-track/street B18c5R for an EF Civic Hatchback. 12,500 rpm never sounded so cheap!

Sadly that Volvo not only lost in a drag race to an Aston Martin while racing on Microsoft's main campus, but it decided to lose the race by immolating itself when the turbo oil return line split, igniting the oil on the manifold.

Hopefully your Volvo experience is going better. Just remember their corporate motto: Volvo; cars for people who don't like cars
I'll stay away from any racing lol

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am kind of looking forward to the end of March or whatever we hear projected production time so we can get a feel for when to sell the Edge. Then she can drive my '150 and I can drive the Ranger until the Bronco makes an appearance.

I had to replace a valve cover gasket (rear of course) on the Edge over the weekend. And doing that upset some cosmic balance because right away #5 injector died (front center that I never touched) so I had to pull it all back apart and replace that night before last.

It also an ABS sensor that kinda comes and goes too but I am waiting to see if I need to rip the knuckle off and replace a wheel bearing too... that is a mild PITA. So far it is quiet and until recently it has been to cold to deal with. Now that the frost is going out of our road the car is a constant mudball...

Its been a good car... but it is time.

gotmud06

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-150 FX4, 2010 Wrangler Sahara
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Somewhere I saw a Stat that up to 30% of res holders were current Jeep owners. So I sold my wife's JK a few weeks back, and bought her a TJ for less than half of what I got for the JK. I have to imagine there will be some flooding of the used jeep market next year.

Telliott0033

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The in between thing has been driving me crazy. I have a lease up in September, I can likely go month to month for a little while but Iā€™ll likely run into over mileage issues by July. Iā€™m a late res but put my order in a few weeks back. I canā€™t decide if itā€™s better going month to month and risk getting dinged at lease turn in or try and find something thatā€™s gonna last me 10 months and not lose a ton of money on trading in if Iā€™m lucky enough to get a bronco by December. Curious as to what the production looks like the next couple months

Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I too and am wanting something new due to my mid 22 delivery. I keep looking at high end sports cars but their valuations have gone crazy in the last 2-3 months. So I donā€™t want to pay when they are at an all time artifice high and get burned if I were to sell it 18 months from now. The 911 GT3 touring is the craziest example. 3 months ago youā€™ll pick up a used one for MSRP to 10K over MSRP. In the last 3 weeks I have seen multiple dealers marking them up 20-30%. I saw one with a MSRP get listed for MSRP + 70K. The scary thing is many times these crazy markups are selling in hours. The Game Stop phenomen.

It will correct but with supply on the new and used market so scarce people are just throwing common sense to the wind. I think many are just so sick of covid they want a new distraction and are willing to pay whatever.
a friend of mine is selling his 2008 911 GT2, you should call him. :)

it's only got 1600whp tho, which isn't enough for most of us.

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Volvo XC90 lease was supposed to end this past week, so I got it extended (they 'graciously' gave me 2 more months). Mileage is not an issue since it has been driven much less over the last year. I'll use the Z3 as the DD from mid-April until the Bronco comes. Hoping that my 7/13 res gets me something close to June as while I don't mind driving the Zed I will miss the room. That said, when the Bronco comes it will feel like one of the Terex dumps they use in the mine pits.

abe

Wildtrak
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 XLT 2.7 (sold šŸ˜„), 84 Chevy K5, 09 Chevy T
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sold my f150 last month for a pretty penny. Have my work truck I can drive anytime and the old K5 for those summer months, but I still went and bought an 09 Chevy Traverse for cheap just to have something in the meantime. I might keep it or trade it in when Bronco comes- not sure yet.
Sponsored