Sponsored

Who else is waiting to see 6th gen 4Runner first?

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was 100% 4Runner before I found out the Bronco was coming out. There are a lot of cool examples out there with all kinds of upgrades including new bumpers, skid plates, and bigger tires. One of the biggest issues I have is that the trade offs are steep. If you want to put 33s on a 4Runner you need a decent lift and most folks do a bit of trimming. While those steel bumpers and skid plates look cool and protect it off-road, the 4Runner was never designed for all that weight and a lot of folks get very close to or exceed GVWR with those upgrades. One of the things I like about the Bronco is that I can get enough capability for what I'd like to do in a stock vehicle.
Sponsored

2001 escape

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Escape XLT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My sister (husband, couple kids if high school age) was trying to get a Palisades year or two ago, no luck, I told her to check out the Telluride, they came home in it, love the stuffing out of it. If you want an SUV for 99.5% on road use (which is honestly almost all of them), you would do yourself a disservice if you didn't check it out. The build quality appears phenomenal with an interior to match. 60k everything warranty with powertrain to 100k. Hell of a vehicle for the money for a family man
I agree, except now the Telluride is above sticker and difficult to find, and the Palisade is a little better deal. There was talk about a Telluride off-road edition in 2019....but when the vehicle is so popular why should they change it?

Telluride could get better mpg too....but other than that it looks good.

If someone needs more capabilty....The 4runner....and if you want to put Jeep’s to shame.....Bronco.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Seems a minivan would meet your needs, so does it matter? Buy which ever one you want years from now.

JCAntimatter

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 4Runner TRD PRO, Acura MDX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My ranting probably doesn't deserve its own thread but what the hell. The irrational side of me wants a Bronco, in all its 415 lb-ft of torque, center diff, 33"/35" tire glory. That said, I will likely not take the top off. I get enough sun, rain and mosquitos in my fixed roof vehicles as it is. Might take the doors off once or twice a year, if I ever get a wild hair and come across a surprise surplus of sunscreen in our pasty white Polish household. I won't be loading it up with farkles in preparation for an Instagram-worthy rock crawing/overland camping adventure. The vehicle will see the vast majority of its life carting me to and from my job and carting the kids to their activities after hours. If I'm still insistent on a body-on-frame SUV, I'm truthfully more of a candidate for the 4runner than anything.

There's not too much bad to be said about them, they're reliable as all get out, as depreciation-proof as a mass-produced vehicle will realistically be and will almost certainly be a better highway companion than the Bronco. But the more I see of the Bronco, the more I'm getting hung up on the bad stuff. The engine is by all means one of the better NA V6s for truck/SUV applications still made, but damnit I've drank from the German turbo six cylinder torque-just-off-idle koolaid, and I'm not going back. The interior looks every bit as old as it is, just with a new center screen wedged in; I see more in common with my Frontier interior than anything else in production today, and that didn't even look new in 2007. The transmission is almost old enough to buy its own alcohol.

So I'm going to kick the new vehicle purchase can down the road a bit, camp out and see what 'yota does with the 2023 4runner. If they spoon in the TTV6 from the new Land Cruiser (and ostensibly the forthcoming Tundra) with the associated 10spd now in the parts bin, give the inside a makeover (c'mon Toyota, I've seen the new Highlander, you can do it!) and I dunno, hell I'd be fine with the exact same exterior, that might sway me. Or they might just do their usual warm-over refresh, and given how well the damn things continue to sell, I couldn't blame them too much.

Anyone else in the same boat?
Absolutely love my 4Runner! I just hope I love the Bronco more!

tempImageWwsAhV.png

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Sounds like some are not aware of what the all new 2023 6th 4Runner is supposed to be. It is based on an entirely new platform called the TNGA-F, it will be shared by the Tundra, Tacoma, Sequoia and 4Runner, it is supposed to be available in the fall of 2022. While it will not be a direct competitor to the Bronco, for those that don't care about the removable roof, it will be a viable option for some to consider.

I understand @Carmaker1, Dr. J, may have some insight with the new 4Runner, perhaps he will reply and fill us in?

2023 6th gen 4Runner Forum

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like 4Runners, looked into buying a TRD Offroad Pro a couple years ago, but you could not get it with glass/sun/moon roof, that was only available on the 'regular' trims for some reason. And I want an open roof of some sort.

If after my Bronco shows up I find I don't like it for what ever crazy reason and want to sell it, I'm pretty sure 4Runner would be the only other vehicle I'd look at. My Taco is 19 years old with zero issues, super reliable. Don't like the looks of Landrovers or he non wrangler Jeeps. And I no longer want a truck, want cooled/heated space inside for the dog in the back instead of covering the seats with hair like in my Taco.

I would also give a Wrangler a test drive though, the hybrid is quite interesting to me, I'd never have to buy gas unless we go on a trip.

Just hoping I'll get my build date soon, get it delivered, love it and forget about all other cars for a while.

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just hoping I'll get my build date soon, get it delivered, love it and forget about all other cars for a while.
Exactly this. I'm actually hoping nothing comes out solid about the 6th gen before I take delivery. Because I might be interested...

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those cross shopping with 4Runners, why not Jeep grand cherokees? I’ve had 4 since 2011, including a pair of trailhawks. Not hard core off road, but capable, and they really nail all the normal driving categories. Smooth, luxurious, powerful etc.

I am choosing bronco now because I prefer body on frame for the poor roads around me and more off roading. When we lived in the suburbs the Jeep GCs worked great.
Regarding the GC, They are very low to the ground compared to a truck or a 4Runner (since we're talking about them). I drove a fancy Trailhawk and I just didn't like how small it was and low to the ground. The interior is fantastic and has a lot of fancy things like memory seats, automatic trunk, etc. I see why people like them so much.

I think it is really hard to go from driving a truck to a car that size, at least for me.
Sponsored