First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Does Normal mode downshift automatically too? I just came back from a trip to the mountains, and I thought it did that a couple of times for me??
Even without cruise control, the trans will automatically downshift in normal mode when going down grades.
Sponsored

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Even without cruise control, the trans will automatically downshift in normal mode when going down grades.
Good to know. Thanks

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I also hate your 10 spd auto. Just glad I don't have to drive around with it

CarStory

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, VW GTI, Subaru STI, Toyota Yaris HB
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Maybe it's the 2.3l. We've got 6500 miles on our 2.7l auto, and I've driven another 2.7l auto several times and have never experienced what you're describing on either one of them. We're always in normal or ecomode.
Same here. My 2.7L does not gear search. I'm actually amazed at how smooth it is. If I wasn't worried about the valve issue destroying my engine life would be good.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 2.7 10 speed is pretty good overall. Does the little hesitation thing in the first couple of gears in normal mode. Smooth after that. Sometimes searches a bit if I take off and the local idiot drivers in front of me decide to drive 20-28-23-35 constantly. But that’s nothing that bad. Sport mode- it’s a beast! I have 4400 miles on it. I like it so far.

Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The older 6-speed F-150 had a button that would lock out overdrive. Never had one in the transition period. My 6-speed expedition the button locks out OD.

The 10-speed F-150s have +/- buttons that let you selectively lock out as many top gears as you like.

Apparently the +/- button on the Bronco does something else.
So the OLD ones had the OD lockout, but the F150s of the last 10-15ish years had a +/- that indefinitely locked out higher gears, of your choosing, while remaining in automatic. It's like an OD lockout that let's you exclude multiple gears.

Even my 2019 w/ 6 speed it does it. You can click the "-" down to whatever gear you want, say 4, and the truck will lock out 5 and 6 and shift in auto 1 through 4.

I have no idea why Ford changed that for the Bronco, or all 10 speeds, to where it now only locks out those gears for a few seconds. Seems entirely pointless.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Never driven an automatic that I've absolutely loved (except for maybe the ZF8 in BMWs).... that said, absolutely loving my 7MT.

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It does, but not low enough for really steep grades, which are common in Colorado. I've been practicing putting it in Manual mode and using the + and - buttons to shift up and down through all the gears. It's only restricted by your speed (if you're going slow, don't expect to get it up to M4 or higher). It works super well descending high mountain passes where you don't want to keep hitting the brakes for miles, and here in the local parks like Garden of the Gods and North Cheyenne Canyon that are hilly and packed with tourists who slow down or come to a complete stop in the middle of the road every time they see a bighorn sheep... or a deer for that matter. I just shift between 2nd, 3rd, and occasionally 4th until I get out of the park, then I put it back into auto.

Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It does, but not low enough for really steep grades, which are common in Colorado. I've been practicing putting it in Manual mode and using the + and - buttons to shift up and down through all the gears. It's only restricted by your speed (if you're going slow, don't expect to get it up to M4 or higher). It works super well descending high mountain passes where you don't want to keep hitting the brakes for miles, and here in the local parks like Garden of the Gods and North Cheyenne Canyon that are hilly and packed with tourists who slow down or come to a complete stop in the middle of the road every time they see a bighorn sheep... or a deer for that matter. I just shift between 2nd, 3rd, and occasionally 4th until I get out of the park, then I put it back into auto.
It will rev up to a little over 3k on my commute down a hill. I don't know which gear because Ford doesn't trust me with that information

Reactions: sjp

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It will rev up to a little over 3k on my commute down a hill. I don't know which gear because Ford doesn't trust me with that information
When in Drive tap the +/- button, it will show you what gear it's in, tap it again you can downshift manually while in Drive. This will stick until you give it throttle again, it will resume fully automatic shifting.

Reactions: sjp

CheekyOldMan

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 10 on my Mustang is perfect. The 10 on my Bronco tends to hesitate if I slow down, approaching an intersection, and then need to gun it - it hesitates. I've been meaning to take it in.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The 10 on my Mustang is perfect. The 10 on my Bronco tends to hesitate if I slow down, approaching an intersection, and then need to gun it - it hesitates. I've been meaning to take it in.
Those are different 10 speed transmissions. But I have the same hesitation in my bronco. There’s nothing wrong, that’s just how they are.