Who is your daddy and what does he do?

ChrispyKC

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicles
Just curious as to what some of you do for a living and what your hobbies are.

I'm a Ford dealer... shocker.

I'm an avid outdoorsman into fly fishing of all kinds, fresh and salt. I can fix just about any car problem on my own and love building fun rides.

My vehicle background is mostly in performance on road. I used to hold an SCCA Solo I & II (neither program exists anymore) and have been to Road Atlanta and Bondurant Schools where I learned that as fast as I thought I was, the instructors could always go faster! I've never had a car built for me, I've always put in the wrench time aside from the body work, that's not my deal.

In the late 90's I was a competitive snowboarder whose "career" was sidelined by my third concussion and a pretty decent second TBC from what we could tell was a 25ft fall in a big air tournament. I unknowingly crushed two vertebrae in my neck but still rode the rest of the day before spending a week in the hospital after telling my mom - a radiology tech - that I couldn't turn my head when she asked me to turn around and look at her.

In the early 2000's was ranked in the top 150 players in the world in online gaming playing Halo 3. Yep, I am a gaming dork too. If you were gaming then and played that game, I'm the sweaty guy that sniped you, yelled out NO SCOPE and teabagged you and your buddies.

I gave up most of my toys when I divorced in 2009. I'm just now getting back to having something to play with so I'm working on a Jeep for my kid. Bronco will be a fourth car in the family so we're looking forward to a new toy. I currently do a little comedy work on YouTube for a good friend and business partner I've worked with since the late 90's.

Advertisement

Carolina Jim

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Renegade
Chris, we appreciate you picking up the slack on this forum, while Ford continues asleep at the wheel.

I'm Jim...retired from sales/BD & living with my bride from 1972 at 4,000 feet in the NC mountains. Never done any of the crazy shit you've been into, so all my vertebrae still work. Started in Atl, but lived in Philly, DC, Chicago, back to DC, then back to Atl. Aside from shooing the bears off two dozen apple trees I planted mid90s, I chase grouse in the fall behind a gorgeous Brittany. Mostly here in NC, but always an annual trip to the yooper, ME, or WI.

Never been a 'car guy'...mostly drove fleet cars. But had a cherished '86 S10 Blazer I parted with 3 years ago, so I'm anxious for a new Bronco toy. And I'll be relying on you to help me set it up for fun.

Jalisurr

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution, '09 Corvette Z06, '08 ZX-6R
Vehicle Showcase
I'm Dave. I'm a systems admin and integrations engineer for a global software company based up here in Vancouver, Canada.

I'm big into motorsports of various types. I've won my class in the western canada regional TSD rally championship a couple of times. I've also autocrossed, rallycrossed and tracked various vehicles, including my current 09 Z06 Corvette. Future motorsport goals include competing in the Targa newfoundland and the Alcan 5000 rally.

I've done various large and small wrenching projects over the years but I definitely wouldn't consider myself a project car person. I know how to do it but I'd always prefer to get something that's already correct from the factory than to build it myself.

Outside of cars my primary hobby is gaming on PC. I tend to play a lot of RPGs or co-op games with friends and my partner rather than competitive shooters, as well as sims of various forms.

I play the trombone and keyboard. I have a first degree black belt in Karate, and have been doing HEMA for the last couple years, with focus on longsword and partisan.

My only really significant injury has been smashing my collarbone in a dirt biking accident. I have a titanium plate there now.

For me the Bronco would be a direct replacement for my 1997 Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution as my second vehicle for use in all things off-road. Ice racing, rally-x, tsd rally, etc. It would also be my winter vehicle though not a daily driver (my regular commuting vehicle is either my feet or my motorcycle depending on weather).

Last edited:

BAUS67

First Name
redneck
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 13 Explorer XLT, 97 Jeep Wrangler
The name is Paul. I know, I put redneck but that was so everyone knows I'm not from the big city, around here called flatlanders. :LOL: I tend to be long winded and detail orientated so I will do my best to keep this short. I'm in my 50's so I have worked a lot of different jobs but currently I'm in the auto parts/service/customization/body shop/ etc. business for the last 20 yrs. I started early ……... mowing the neighbors lawns when I was about 12. I was a clerk in a minimart for a while then a night watchman at greenhouse that used waste hot water, from the local coal fired power plant, plumbed through the floor to heat the place. Worked in construction for about 11 or 12 yrs. building schools, prisons, hospitals, power plant maintenance (the same plant, but for the plant). Then built custom log homes all across the country for about 3 yrs. then ended up in the parts business.

As far as hobbies I'd have to sum it best by saying I'm a gearhead. I live, breath, eat, anything mechanical. had RC cars as a kid, bought with the mowing money, but my big hook was the internal combustion engine. :LOL: I remember about 6th or 7th grade we had shop and we tore a briggs & strattton down and rebuilt it …... I WAS HOOKED !!! 😁 My first car was a 73 Challanger but after a few years and few cars later I came across 78 Granada 302 have bled Ford blue since. (except for my TJ , a story for another time) If I had to pick the biggest thing would be wining the 93 Ford 5.0 shootout at Maple Grove Raceway but have won, and lost, at other tracks as well over the years. Always into anything outside, hunting, fishing, hiking, off roading since I've been driving, but currently trying to keep my son OFF the computer and "in the woods" on grizzly 4 wheelers, he likes hiking out at the cabin as well. Can't wait to replace my 13 Explorer with a new Bronco then by the time my son is driving I'll just give him the TJ, then we can "wheel" together. 😀

OP

ChrispyKC

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicles
Thanks for taking the time guys, it’s always nice to get a background on the people you’re reading everyday. Sometimes my inner monologue goes off the rails when I read what people say and their tone and thoughts are misrepresented. I always try to be as conversational as possible when I write here and sometimes I have to edit things because I feel like my tone could be read as being a jerk. Maybe it’s me, I spend as much time as possible trying to make people happy and laugh instead of trying to be right or come off as a subject expert. As I mentioned, I have more on road experience than off road, so quite a bit of what is said here, I plan on applying and learning in order to be as educated as possible for Bronco buyers. Last year was a giant leap forward for me in experiencing full remote off roading with no help other than the tools and the guy that came with me. I plan to get a little more courageous this summer and take that experience into Bronco ownership. I do have some big plans for YouTube as stuff progresses and I launch a full Bronco experience from announcement, to speculations over the internet, launch and then ownership experience. I’ve been keeping quite a bit of info for a few years now and might even show how I knew the things I’ve talked about before you were able to see them. Until then, keep posting about yourselves. It’s pretty cool.

BAUS67

First Name
redneck
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for taking the time guys, it’s always nice to get a background on the people you’re reading everyday. Sometimes my inner monologue goes off the rails when I read what people say and their tone and thoughts are misrepresented. I always try to be as conversational as possible when I write here and sometimes I have to edit things because I feel like my tone could be read as being a jerk. Maybe it’s me, I spend as much time as possible trying to make people happy and laugh instead of trying to be right or come off as a subject expert. As I mentioned, I have more on road experience than off road, so quite a bit of what is said here, I plan on applying and learning in order to be as educated as possible for Bronco buyers. Last year was a giant leap forward for me in experiencing full remote off roading with no help other than the tools and the guy that came with me. I plan to get a little more courageous this summer and take that experience into Bronco ownership. I do have some big plans for YouTube as stuff progresses and I launch a full Bronco experience from announcement, to speculations over the internet, launch and then ownership experience. I’ve been keeping quite a bit of info for a few years now and might even show how I knew the things I’ve talked about before you were able to see them. Until then, keep posting about yourselves. It’s pretty cool.
I don't mind taking the time if you don't mind being bored :LOL::LOL: I hear 'ya there, it takes me forever to type in here because I have to go back and proof read, and when I don't it comes back to bite me in the arse. :LOL: Hard to show the emotion when typing. My problem a lot of times what someone calls something is not what the other person is thinking he is describing. Best example right now is the coilover vs strut thing. That is why I am trying to clear the muddy waters now, so to speak. Sorry I worked with a lot of old timers in my days of construction and they always had these phrases to describe a situation. Some the younger generations look at me funny when I say them. :LOL:

See what happens to me is I get off point. You say about using the info learned here and I can say there are some knowledgeable people here, imo, and to the coilover thing that is the way I have come to understand it ……. strut is part of the suspension or structural, if you will, I like to type it as " no upper a arm" it kinda paints a picture, as along as the person knows what a suspension system looks like:LOL::LOL: and a coilover will have an upper a arm . which is the point I am trying to get to in that discussion. When you look up parts for, let's say a 13 F-150, they are called front struts by listing but I call them coilovers because the F-150 has a lower a arm and an upper a-arm. The Bronco has been seen with a 5 link rear and what I would call coilovers. and in the front I can see upper a arms and the bottom of what look like a coilover to me in the leaked photos, this thing should be pretty bad ass. So it is misleading because the parts are listed wrong in my eyes but how can I argue that. It's like trying to help my son with his math practice 40 questions one said this ……...

If you have 5/8 of a pound of icing and have 5 cupcakes and you put an equal amount on each cupcake ? How many (answer) pounds is on each cupcake ?

He was thinking about it and me being the jerk I am said of course, my answer is ZERO. he typed it in and WRONG. My wife says well yeah dummy it's 1/8 of a pound. So I responded with, the math teacher must have flunked english class. It says pounds, you can't get pounds when you start with less than a pound :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sorry to get off point, I'm bad at it, and I can babble alot. Another point about off road Bronco talk is lockers. One thing I can tell you from experience is if someone is serious about off roading and doesn't not know much about what is involved or how hardcore it can be, a front locker it vital. My sons grizzly has one, every time we were riding he would ask should I use the locker and I would say no just 4WD, so one day I showed him one of the purposes. found a boulder about the same size as the Griz and started up it in 4WD and once the opposing wheel comes off the ground, spin city and you don't go any further. Lock the front diff and you crawl right up it with no problem. Now could you make it over in 4WD??? probably, but you would need more speed some times with more speed comes problems at the next obstacle and you might not want to be going fast. In the mud it will pull you through the mud better as well . WOW this got really, really long. guess that's enough for now, time for a cig break. until next time ...…... stay safe !!!! 🤘

Last edited:

OX1

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
because I feel like my tone could be read as being a jerk.
It's an auto enthusiast internet message board. Anyone truly
offended needs to just get off the net. That said, you can usually tell,
(even for the net), when someone is putting in extra effort for the sole
purpose of attempting to annoy someone.

Anyway, 35 years mech engr for DOD NAVY. First real design job back in the early
90's was a re-design of the CSV (Capacity Selector Valve), which governs hydraulic flow to the launch valve on steam catapults. Had an internal wear problem, so I added Stellite seats.
Currently qualifying the latest helicopter securing/traversing system for the
"new" DDG1000 destroyers (system captures and traverses an H60 into the hangar, without
flipping it off the side of the ship, in seas like this).

1586606590295.jpeg

My dad raced Merc's locally (north jersey) in the late 40/early 50's, so I was a Ford guy from day one. Ironically, my first car was my grandmothers 63, 383 Polara. Ran studded snows year round, as that was all I had. Was fun to do burnouts on studs. Have had over 30, 78/79 Broncos (many just parts trucks) and 10 or so 78/79 F150-350's. Ruined my back trying to carry around NP205 TC's by myself, which weigh more than I do............ Unfortunately, my dad passed recently (end of last year), so I inherited his show car, 84 fox LTD with a blown 331 stroker and Linc Mk VII drivetrain/brakes. We built and re-built that car over 17 years and it's pretty sweet (as sweet as an 84 LTD could be :) ).

20180514_190822.jpg

20180514_190948.jpg

Have too many hobbies and never wanted to concentrate that hard on any one thing, so never competed in anything. I am probably a better waterskier than anyone else I've ever met. Even as old as I am, can still remove second ski, hold it in my arm, slalom for about 45 seconds, and put second ski back on the other foot, without falling/stopping. Other than that, horrible at sports, can barely dribble a basketball without severe concentration, LOL!!

DustyD

First Name
Dustin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Titan
Vehicle Showcase
I’m Dustin. I’ve been doing the military thing for 20 years and plan to keep going for now.

I grew up in the Alaskan bush north of the Arctic Circle until the 8th grade. My family sold their gold mine and moved to a more populated area on the Kenai Peninsula so my sister and I could go to a public school (big school- I had 12ish people in my graduating class).

I worked on commercial and sport fishing boats for years (mostly salmon and halibut), but deck-handing was hit or miss financially and I had to supplement with seasonal carpentry and cannery work. I joined the Army when I didn’t see a future in AK doing those things my whole life.

I’m an outdoors guy. Saltwater & freshwater fishing, backcountry hunting, ultralight camping, bushcraft, mountain biking, etc. are in my blood. I don’t have a shortage of other hobbies, just a shortage of time to do them in.

Besides being a husband and father, I have a passion for coaching- these days I focus on youth basketball and strength & conditioning for young athletes. I also instruct a survival school for high school cadets in the summer.

I’m looking forward to getting to know you all better and eventually sharing our Bronco experiences!

OX1

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
I worked on commercial and sport fishing boats for years (mostly salmon and halibut), but deck-handing was hit or miss financially and I had to supplement with seasonal carpentry and cannery work. I joined the Army when I didn’t see a future in AK doing those things my whole life.
Halibut, Yum. my favorite......

BAUS67

First Name
redneck
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's an auto enthusiast internet message board. Anyone truly
offended needs to just get off the net. That said, you can usually tell,
(even for the net), when someone is putting in extra effort for the sole
purpose of attempting to annoy someone.

Anyway, 35 years mech engr for DOD NAVY. First real design job back in the early
90's was a re-design of the CSV (Capacity Selector Valve), which governs hydraulic flow to the launch valve on steam catapults. Had an internal wear problem, so I added Stellite seats.
Currently qualifying the latest helicopter securing/traversing system for the
"new" DDG1000 destroyers (system captures and traverses an H60 into the hangar, without
flipping it off the side of the ship, in seas like this).

1586606590295.jpeg
Thank you for your service OX1. My father landed the boys on the beaches at Normandy and served in Korea as well.
🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

I had my son to see the Lexington in Corpus Christy a few years ago he had a blast. ..... I hear 'ya on the catapult thing ........

20180721_225739.jpg

20180722_094822.jpg

20180722_095452.jpg

Nickp

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER 4 DOOR MT
Name’s Nick! I’m what some would call a “Scottsdale redneck” since I grew up basically in Scottsdale but I also hunt, shoot guns, camp, off-road, etc. Those are my main hobbies along with fixing up the condo I bought last year, it’s around 70% done. Also finishing school, only 3 classes left! For work I just do a boring call center job, not too exciting. Here’s my thing about work; as long as I’m happy at my job I’m good to go. I don’t need a “dream job” just one that pays the bills and let’s me persue my dreams outside of work.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for your service OX1. My father landed the boys on the beaches at Normandy and served in Korea as well.
🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

I had my son to see the Lexington in Corpus Christy a few years ago he had a blast. ..... I hear 'ya on the catapult thing ........

20180721_225739.jpg

20180722_094822.jpg

20180722_095452.jpg
Appreciate the sentiment and sorry for the confusion, but I am DOD Civy.
Not in the Navy. Feel like I am sometimes, after the amount of time I've spent of
Navy ships over 35 years, many times well under way all over the world.............

Cats are really cool. We have the orig cat, "FAT" cat (larger cyl dia's over original) and
the new electro-mechanical (EMALS) cats all at our test site @ the Lakehurst base.
https://www.navair.navy.mil/lakehurst/product/Test-and-Evaluation
I have been trapped and shot off a carrier several times (not on fighters, obviously).
Fairly rare thing to get to do for a "Civy" .

vintage

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 4Runner Trd Pro, Indian Chieftain, Indian Springfield
Dave here. I was born and rasied in upstate New York. Moved to Florida a few years after collage. Now reside in North Carolina. Some may call me a half back after moving all the way to Florida and then half way back to NC.
I own a Contruction Company building Custom homes between $600K to $900K . You might say buiding is in my blood, as my Grandfather, Father and Uncles were all in the construction business. I'm Happily married for 21 years with my daughter in college and two sons in High school.
I love riding motocycles. I Started riding mini bikes as a kid, then dirt bikes. As soon as I got my drivers license I started buying street bikes. Owned Harley's for years but switched to Indian Motorcycles a few years ago.
I got hooked on off roading years ago after the purchase of a used 1982 Toyota 4 x 4 pickup. A good friend of mine took me on some off roading trail the first week I bought it. After having the whole front end buried in mud and not getting stuck, , I was hooked for life.
I currently own a 2018.5 Wrangler Rubicon JLU. 2017 4Runner Trd Pro, 2019 Indian Chieftain and 2017 Indian Springfield. Looking foward to adding a New Bronco to the family.

Last edited:

The Ford Bronco Will Be Revealed In...