Sponsored

who really wanted a hardtop and settled for the soft top?

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Banned
I'm getting really tired of waiting. I have been holding out for a hard top, but I'm starting to think that might just be foolish, ... with no real communication from ford about anything, I have NO idea how long it might take - for all I know, it could be 2025 before I see my order with a hard top - so I'm starting to entertain the idea of settling for a soft top. I live in Sacramento CA, where summers can get quite hot (115 or so) for a couple weeks during the summer, and then typically in the low 100's for the rest of the summer. Winters are mild, with not a lot of rain.

For those who decided to go with the soft top, even though you really wanted a hard top - how happy/sad/disappointed/surprised are you with the soft top? Was it worth the sacrifice? Is it maybe better than you thought it would be? Worse?
Sponsored

DoubleADuster

Black Diamond
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963 Ford Thunderbird
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I made the switch to get my truck built. I was a Jan 2021 res and after I made the switch I ended up being built Dec 2021. I don’t regret it because I got my Bronco in pretty short order after switching and also having gone through a mid Atlantic winter with snow and salt and pretty cold weather all my concerns were put to rest. Plus the first time I drove south into 80 degree weather, being able to just flip the top back and have the roof open was amazing. My only long term concern is longevity, but it doesn’t appear the hard top would change that concern. I would make the switch every time if I could do it again.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought mine off of the lot, thinking that I could just add a hard top later.

If I had known then how long the lead time would be for a mod top, or how expensive the aftermarket hard tops were going to be (going off to ADV's pricing, anyway) I may not have bought it.

Sponsored

Noco

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Trail Teams edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ordered a hardtop in February 2021, switched in September and got my Badlands Sasquatch 2.7, lux with towing on November 20. Happy I did it.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wife wanted the mod top from day 1. When that was not happening anytime soon, she decided to do a 4dr soft top BL since we have 2 orders and well…the MIC at that time looked like sh*t and was having issues. Order #2 is 99’d waiting for MY23 and possibly the mod top at which time she would trade in order 1. We knew I would be swapping the oem soft top almost immediately for the bestop twill so I wasn't worried about the side windows looking like sh*t. She took delivery of her bronco first week of December, bestop was installed a week later and she’s loving life and has around 4500 miles on it.

Only thing that Im not a fan of is having to take her bronco to the self-service car wash during the winter to wash all the dang mag-chloride off. Ive had my soft top jeep for 8yrs and it doesnt see auto carwashes, but then again its not my DD any longer.

Mikeflo

Black Diamond
First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, Honda Civic, & a Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We changed, but are pretty happy we did now. It's also our primary beach vehicle in South TX, so we take the top down a lot.
i'm from south Texas but I'm concerned about theft...which is why i want a hardtop. I'm tired of waiting too I just gave a down payment on a jeep wrangler & a 4runner. I like them both & both are in transit. I'll probably buy the first one to arrive to San Antonio...

Lexo52

Big Bend
First Name
Arlexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
i'm from south Texas but I'm concerned about theft...which is why i want a hardtop. I'm tired of waiting too I just gave a down payment on a jeep wrangler & a 4runner. I like them both & both are in transit. I'll probably buy the first one to arrive to San Antonio...
Personally don't think a security with the soft tip is any different from a hardtop. They want to grap something they will still break the glass lol

Sponsored

Lexo52

Big Bend
First Name
Arlexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I did. And honestly been very happy with the soft top. Love just flipping it up or taking the back windows out while offroading. Or at the beach. One draw back is the noise. It isn't awful but I do a lot of road trips and at 80mph+ it gets loud

JFelty

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach E
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Wanted a 4dr dual top Wildtrak and settled for a 4dr soft top Wildtrak with a Prep kit for a hard top that Ford doesnt sell yet.

TheCrow11

Wildtrak
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Chevy Tahoe midnight edition
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Really wanted the Mod top, switched to soft top, cause I wanted to get one before 2023. I do kinda regret it, mainly cause I assumed Ford would offer Bronco owners that switched a deal when they put out a top that wasn’t a turd. Silly me.

jedmisten

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We initially had a MIC top on order but with the fiasco going on with the MIC top, I made the change the first deadline in July I believe. Wife wasn’t happy, but I wanted my Bronco. She loves it now and we are super happy with the swap. Yeah the MIC looks better and you can put a roof rack on it for storage. However the convenience of the soft top is awesome. Well worth it!

fuesting

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've never had a convertible or soft top before. I am pleasantly surprised. I do not think it's that much louder than my Toyota Highlander. I do not think it's any "colder" in the winter. My main negative issues thus far are:
1. My kids play hockey, so getting things out via *just* the swing gate is a pain. Propping up the soft top is a pain. My solution is the IAG strut package for the soft top.
2. I was hoping there would be a roof rack option (for vacations) by now. There doesn't appear to be. I hope there is soon.
3. Having to manually wash the vehicle is a pain, however we all really should be doing it anyway. I've found that detergents at wash bays coat or temporary stain the plastic windows. It's annoying. I'm going to start cleaning things at my house only.

If I could walk in and buy a Bronco with either top, without any of the experience listed above, I would have bought a hard top 10 out of 10 times. Now seeing the prices on third party hard tops, I would have definitely ordered mine with a hard top (assuming no delay). That being said, I'm so freaking happy to have my Bronco NOW. I can buy a hard top TODAY from Advanced Fiberglass. They even texted me today. I'm passing. Way too expensive. Rocking the soft top as long as I can.
Sponsored