Sponsored

Who should I blame for these POS tires on my new Bronco? Goodyear Ford or both?

OP
OP
F150rubyred

F150rubyred

Black Diamond
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2013 Lexus GX460, 2014 Mustang GT,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The GY on my SAS really suck! I live down on the farm in Iowa and I have 3/4 mile of gravel road I picked new Bronco up and drove home. These pictures are from less than one mile on gravel road; each tire has over 100 rocks stuck in the tread. The tires are terrible this should not happen; this has to be bad engineering in tread design. WHO SHOULD I BLAME FOR THESE POS TIRES ON MY NEW BRONCO? GOODYEAR? FORD? OR BOTH?

I have had many F150 and SUV have used BFG, Falken, NItto, Bridgestone and none of these tires would pickup rocks. Yes maybe 1 or 2 or a few but not hundreds of rocks! Ford did you drive pre production Broncos on gravel with these tires? If you did and approved these tires you better get your heads examined!

Ford please send me a check now so I can replace them. Message me I will give you my address to send check to.

1 (5).jpg
1 (6).jpg
1 (7).jpg
1 (8).jpg
UPDATE: The pictures I took above were from the first day I owned my Bronco. The 4 tires easily had 500 to 700 rocks and pebbles in them. It was crazy the rocks flying when I got to the highway.
Several days it was very cold and the gravel road was damp and frosty and I think that combination of things made it exceptionally bad for picking up rocks.

Today was 40 plus degrees and although it picked up some rocks; I counted approximately 150-200. Although this is still not good it is way better than the first couple of days. I can maybe live with this.

I also put cheap mud flaps on front to save my sides. I ordered some IAG Performance one from amazon so should see them in a few days.

I just wanted to update everyone. Thanks
Sponsored

JimmyG

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and Cadillacs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The GY on my SAS really suck! I live down on the farm in Iowa and I have 3/4 mile of gravel road I picked new Bronco up and drove home. These pictures are from less than one mile on gravel road; each tire has over 100 rocks stuck in the tread. The tires are terrible this should not happen; this has to be bad engineering in tread design. WHO SHOULD I BLAME FOR THESE POS TIRES ON MY NEW BRONCO? GOODYEAR? FORD? OR BOTH?

I have had many F150 and SUV have used BFG, Falken, NItto, Bridgestone and none of these tires would pickup rocks. Yes maybe 1 or 2 or a few but not hundreds of rocks! Ford did you drive pre production Broncos on gravel with these tires? If you did and approved these tires you better get your heads examined!

Ford please send me a check now so I can replace them. Message me I will give you my address to send check to.

1 (5).jpg
1 (6).jpg
1 (7).jpg
1 (8).jpg
Yep, seems pretty normal. Sucks.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

LOL, was at the dealership today and eyeballed a used OBX-Sq they had. They must have driven through their back lot which is gravel because they had a bunch of nice dingers stuck in the treads. At least they have the runners to stop most of them, my AMB Base is getting a bit beat up on the doors right now, and I'm not even Squatched.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m sure the cruise is helping your case. Do you have the 2.7L and 4.27 gearing? Our hwy city splits must be different.
These are exclusively highway runs (albeit including fuel and bathroom breaks - I don't turn the vehicle off for those). I have a 2.7 with the 4.27 gears. While I do use the adaptive cruise, I tend to get better mileage without it, but I am less consistent maintaining speed... plus it's harder to watch movies when you actually have to watch traffic in front of you. ;)

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I will say this, as someone else noted, generally Ford has done a great job of picking tires for 95% or more drivers across the Bronco lineup.

No hardcore enthusiast is going to seriously wheel a load C tire, that's a given.

That said, most malls and freeways are not going to tear up a C load tire either. Ford had to balance fuel economy, noise, vibration, and capabilities across a variety of conditions. For the most part, they did well. I have driven the stock non-sasquatch OBX and BD rims and tires, and given the intended use of these two trims, the tires are better than most oem picks that I have experienced in the past.

So yes, the GY tires suck in some ways, but as an overall compromise, they could have done far worse.

Sponsored

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I actually like them BECAUSE they throw rocks. I just installed front mud flaps to protect my vehicle, but left the rears off so the rocks hit people who tailgate me.

I think driving a yellow Bronco just seems to bring out the a-hole in some people, in that they love to tailgate me because they hate loud colors or something. Anyhow, I do notice how people back-off after a minute or so of tailgating me. Tailgate me, get rock chips. Simple. I love these tires: Light, C-load, even wear, and they throw rocks.
Wow. Just wow.

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

OP-you are to blame. You stated you were aware of this issue and chose to run the tires anyway.

MudMonsterRacin

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1, 2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yup, swapped to Falken. Will have a set of 5 GY with 15 miles on them for sale cheap at Townsend off my SAS.

My General grabbers on my black diamond are just as bad as the GY tires. Are the falken wildpeak a lot better at not picking up gravel? I have a screwdriver in my glovebox for when im done hunting lol

Fivefingerheist

Badlands
First Name
FFH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands, 4-D, Non-SAS, 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This was one of the big reasons I went with a non-sas badlands. Also those Goodyears seem far louder than the BFgoodrich KO2s that come on the stock badlands & the Raptor.

OCNORB1974

Wildtrak
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

You should blame neither, YOU bought it.

1 (5).jpg
1 (6).jpg
1 (7).jpg
1 (8).jpg

Sponsored

Cencal Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The problem is not the tires, it's the size of your gravel...get bigger gravel...

...and why does someone have to be "to blame"???

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As someone mentioned the Goodyear DuraTrac 35x12.50R17 is decent choice. But it's very very different from the factory Goodyears. The DuraTrac is E-load (10-ply), totally different tread pattern, 34.8 inch spec, and much heavier - 68 lbs versus 52
I have 33" Duratracs on my Super Duty and despise them. They wear terribly and are really loud. Maybe on a lighter rig they would be fine but I'd never risk it.

JimboSlice

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks 2018 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Put mad flaps on after my first time off road. Luckily I only got one rock chip in one fender flare. It sounding like we were taking fire when we hit the pavement.

Jim Walter

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah I read all the earlier reviews about these mud terrains and the damages from gravel, removed and replaced mine on day one with Bridgestone Dueler AT's. No regrets. Sold them a week later
Sponsored