Sponsored

Who wins, the Horse or the the Wrangler?

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Bronco wins in my opinion. I have owned quite a few of both of them. 1970 & 71 Broncos (a long time ago) and if it counts I tried to restore a 66 a couple of years ago. A 1979 Jeep CJ5, 1999, 2002, 2005 and a current 1997 Wrangler.

Bronco wins- for the reason that the retro new Bronco (2 door) is very similar in looks and size to the original generation. The Wrangler simply got too big and wide with the JK. I was so ready for the new JK and expected a newer, more modern TJ- similar in size- perhaps with a more raked windshield and improved fuel economy. And with a nice large tire and wheel package- kind of like Sasquatch is what I envisioned. The JK just did not cut it for me- up to and including today's new JL. I much prefer everything about the the TJ- that's why I own one today. The engine is just way outdated for today's driving on the streets- super slow and terrible fuel economy with the "tractor" engine. But the size is just perfect. I'll be selling my 1997 Gem when my new Bronco arrives some time next year.
Sponsored

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't look at Bronco vs Wrangler as win/lose, but more like chocolate vs vanilla, or Cadillac vs Lincoln.
In a couple years after the dust settles, we'll have Bronco customers changing to Wranglers, and Wrangler customers changing to Broncos. It's the nature of competition and the evolving market.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wranglers are awesome, I don’t care what anyone says. The weird hate towards them or FCA around here I find odd. Based on prior issues or reliability, okay I guess if that happened to you I can see that. Best friend had a Wrangler growing up from 16 years old on. We went everywhere in that thing, EVERYWHERE! Mountains up giant rock trails to camp? Done. To the mall with no top? Done. Mudding in a random field off the road? Done. Caught in giant rainstorms on the highway with the top down laughing hysterically as 3 of us were getting absolutely soaked? Yup. Even getting chased by the angry Corvette trust fund kid because he was upset I screamed ‘nice car’ at him and he just had to know what we said.

Good times, good memories. The Wrangler made me love the idea of the Bronco and I applaud Ford for building something that compares to it in every way and maybe even then some. I’d take either and be ecstatic, bad ass vehicles that nothing can compare to. I cannot wait to take the top off, toss the puppies in the back and maybe bring the wife (it is her car after all) and head up to ANYWHERE enjoying the sun and the breeze. So excited for this.

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is everyone forgetting one of the biggest reasons Jeeps earned its cult following, CUSTOMIZATION, and the ability to truly make your vehicle your own.
Well now I'm confused.... I can't tell you how many people I've come across around here that tell me the cult following comes from rock crawling.... and since the Bronco won't be as good at it, Jeep has nothing to worry about.

Yet you say it comes from CUSTOMIZATION (which btw, I tend to agree with ;), ie. 90% of Jeeps I see on road, built for the mall).

Anyways, that's my opinion for the day, carry on 😁
These days, it's definitely because of the customization. Everybody wants to try to be different.

The rock crawling comparison is funny, Jeeps were popular long before rock crawling ever became a thing.

What originally made the Jeep popular was being a small utilitarian 4x4.

The Baby Cherokee (XJ) exploded the station wagon market.

The TJ was also a huge hit in the Wrangler market with their coil suspension and a few years later, the Rubicon model with lockers and low gear T-case.

Then they really exploded in 2007 with the JK, when you could buy the soccer wife a 4 door that was a very capable 4x4 and it was very customizable.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Then they really exploded in 2007 with the JK, when you could buy the soccer wife a 4 door that was a very capable 4x4 and it was very customizable.
That right there has been my point... Jeep Wranglers are far from being owned by just the purists anymore. And Ford can easily cut into that market.

Sponsored

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have no rock climbing experience but based on what I have read here over the past several months and following before joining it is less about equipment and more about people sharing an activity that they enjoy. I am sure the trails are frequented by people driving other makes and models. People enjoying the things they have in common not worrying about their differences.
I am sure I have a lot to learn from Jeep drivers as well as people driving other makes.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Bronco wins in my opinion. I have owned quite a few of both of them. 1970 & 71 Broncos (a long time ago) and if it counts I tried to restore a 66 a couple of years ago. A 1979 Jeep CJ5, 1999, 2002, 2005 and a current 1997 Wrangler.

Bronco wins- for the reason that the retro new Bronco (2 door) is very similar in looks and size to the original generation. The Wrangler simply got too big and wide with the JK. I was so ready for the new JK and expected a newer, more modern TJ- similar in size- perhaps with a more raked windshield and improved fuel economy. And with a nice large tire and wheel package- kind of like Sasquatch is what I envisioned. The JK just did not cut it for me- up to and including today's new JL. I much prefer everything about the the TJ- that's why I own one today. The engine is just way outdated for today's driving on the streets- super slow and terrible fuel economy with the "tractor" engine. But the size is just perfect. I'll be selling my 1997 Gem when my new Bronco arrives some time next year.
I hate to break it to you but the Bronco is larger than the JL in practically every measurement.

Ford Bronco Who wins, the Horse or the the Wrangler? 1614622569689

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well now I'm confused.... I can't tell you how many people I've come across around here that tell me the cult following comes from rock crawling.... and since the Bronco won't be as good at it, Jeep has nothing to worry about.

Yet you say it comes from CUSTOMIZATION (which btw, I tend to agree with ;), ie. 90% of Jeeps I see on road, built for the mall).

Anyways, that's my opinion for the day, carry on 😁
I dont know about the rock crawling thing. I've always found it kindof boring and designed to break stuff and cost money. Almost like a greedy corporation came up with it. Now ripping down muddy trails, exploring mountains, raceing across deserts and just playing under the overpass by the river. Those are things I have used jeeps and broncos for. Not just spinning tire till they break on a rock face.

Blank slate customization has always been jeeps selling point ever since you could buy denim seats and 300 different farm implements for em. The bronco almost always had that open air fun. But now its gone full roofless and doorless. Leaving it fully as a blank slate. I think jeeps and broncos will be neck and neck for a long long time.

One thing about the bronco too. I like the jeeps and LOVE cjs but am not willing to deal with the modernization enough to own one. But for some reason the Bronco has me willing to step into the modern era of vehicular design.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wranglers are awesome, I don’t care what anyone says. The weird hate towards them or FCA around here I find odd.
I don't think it's specifically hate as much as the feeling the Bronco is way better. Most everyone here has been on the reservation list for a long time and it would be more strange if we didn't think the Bronco was superior in most every way. Why wait more than a year for a vehicle if there's already one available at about the same price that's just as good or better?

I like to think that Jeep has been leap-frogged and now they have to play catch-up. The truck wars make for better offerings from the Big 3. Now it's Jeep's turn to keep up or be left behind. :)

brocotect

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
This forum is beginning to resemble a forum of your favorite sports ball team during offseason.

Sponsored

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This forum is beginning to resemble a forum of your favorite sports ball team during offseason.
You mean it's aging poorly?

Ford Bronco Who wins, the Horse or the the Wrangler? 1614625841017

OP
OP
Broncococo

Broncococo

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Agreed 👍
Sponsored