Sponsored

Who would buy the Jimny if it was available in the US?

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Me
Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would have a few years ago (or more). I did a little research on the prices and I can't remember exactly, but it seems the price doubled in the last 10 years or so. When they were $10k, I'd have bought two, a red one and a blue one, and burned 'em both. Now, they're too expensive.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They would sell like crack

Runningwaters

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Definitely. Over a Bronco even.

Saw some in person in Japan and absolutely loved them.

Cheap, cool looking, compact, and capable.

Sponsored

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd have to test drive one first but love the concept. I don't necessarily mind underpowered cars, but there is underpowered and unacceptable. I fear it will fall into unacceptable.

Now if I could test drive the Bronco I'd feel much better about buying it but am not concerned about power...

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
id rock a diesel jimny and leave the kids at home. sorry brah.

that said. im not and i cant, and the b!tch better allocate on Thursday or imma gonna be on a roadtrip to dearborn in ye old ranger with plate welded over the windows.

BR0NCO

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Audi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This really explains why we no longer have the Jimny (called the Samurai in the US).

You are correct but Consumer Reports did not do a fair test on the Samurai. The director told the crew nobody was going home until someone got it on two wheels. Suzuki spent years suing and eventually got an apology, the only thing they wanted, from Consumer Reports.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This really explains why we no longer have the Jimny (called the Samurai in the US).

Is it, though? I mean 60 minutes did a hella number on Audi back in the '80s with the whole "Sudden Unintended Acceleration" scandal, and I'd argue that made far bigger news than the Suzuki rollover news. Yet Audi is here today. Not saying it didn't hurt, but Suzuki wasn't exactly a mainstream dealer or with a broad or quality product line.

Sponsored

Crowza

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands 2 Door, '05 Victory Vegas 8-Ball
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it, though? I mean 60 minutes did a hella number on Audi back in the '80s with the whole "Sudden Unintended Acceleration" scandal, and I'd argue that made far bigger news than the Suzuki rollover news. Yet Audi is here today. Not saying it didn't hurt, but Suzuki wasn't exactly a mainstream dealer or with a broad or quality product line.
During the time period, this report was everywhere, as I recall it. I personally never read nor followed Consumer Reports, but it made the national nightly news. Everyone from my insurance agent to friends all said, "your 4x4 will roll".. It became "group think" really quickly.

I don't remember the Audi, but I probably didn't notice because I didn't own one.

I did notice my insurance rates skyrocket.

For what it's worth, that is how I remember it.

Crowza

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You are correct but Consumer Reports did not do a fair test on the Samurai. The director told the crew nobody was going home until someone got it on two wheels. Suzuki spent years suing and eventually got an apology, the only thing they wanted, from Consumer Reports.
The video encapsulates the hit job that Consumer Reports did on the Samurai.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had to go and google what a “jimny” was.

first thought: really dumb name
Second thought: looks like a Jeep Compass with a Suzuki badge.

No, thanks.

Wilbur's son

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Ranger 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Was in Iceland back in '19. While I was driving a Hyundai diesel 4wd rental, I was constantly ogling all the classic Defenders and huge E-350 tour group machines (one company is called Mountain Taxi) for fording rivers. I finally noticed Jimnys everywhere. Perfect, basic 4wd. Oh yeah, I wanted one.

Edit: Even found an original Bronco while walking the streets of Reykjavik.

Crowza

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had to go and google what a “jimny” was.

first thought: really dumb name
Second thought: looks like a Jeep Compass with a Suzuki badge.

No, thanks.
Ford Bronco Who would buy the Jimny if it was available in the US? Suzuki_Samurai_near_the_summit_of_Ojos_del_Salado

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Jimny

On April 21, 2007, the Chilean duo of Gonzalo Bravo and Eduardo Canales drove their modified Suzuki Samurai (SJ413) up Ojos del Salado to an altitude of 6,688 m (21,942 ft), setting a new record for the highest altitude attained by a four-wheeled vehicle, surpassing the previous record of 6,646 m (21,804 ft) set by a Jeep.

The Samurai in question benefited from wheel, tire, and suspension changes, and a supercharged G16A 4-cylinder engine. It was the third attempt for the two man team, after encountering weather difficulties on the first attempt and an engine fire in the second. The previous record holder's team led by Matthias Jeschke driving a Jeep Wrangler, left a sign reading "Jeep Parking Only: All others don't make it up here anyway". The Chilean team found the sign, blown down by strong winds, and brought it back to civilization as a souvenir.
It's a small 4x4, but extremely capable. I just priced a new one out on Suzuki's Japanese site and added everything I could. The total came to $22k.

Not everybody's cup of tea, but it's worth it to look at some older models (top was removable).
Sponsored