Sponsored

Whoa, Nellie! Avg monthly payment > $700.

OP
OP
Carolina Jim

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
newer cars are much more reliable then they where 20-30 years ago
amen to that (obviously aside from 2.7l valves). I'm vintage 1948 - I promise you driving around in the 60s -70s, you didn't go 5 miles without seeing some car stranded on the side of the road.
Sponsored

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

amen to that (obviously aside from 2.7l valves). I'm vintage 1948 - I promise you driving around in the 60s -70s, you didn't go 5 miles without seeing some car stranded on the side of the road.

I bought my brother in laws 2010 Fusion Hybrid last summer when the MIC top debacle happened and then my ADM shitshow-it had 213K Miles on it and I put about 2.5K miles on it over the time I had it. Outside of having to replace the calipers on it, it still ran great and looked good on the inside-the outside was a bit rough with the rocker panels rotting out and him not taking that great care of it, but with some TLC and me detailing it, I actually sold it for 3X what I paid him for it when my Bronco came in.

It was my favorite unexpected car purchase so far in my life LOL

Saw4Fire

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The average monthly car payment crossed $700 a month earlier this year, the highest on record, according to Cox Automotive/Moody's Analytics.

"I joke with people that every new car purchase is a luxury car purchase, I don't care what you're buying," says Ivan Drury, senior manager of insights at the car buying expert Edmunds. The average cost of a new car is hovering at the highest level on record, topping $47,000 a pop.

Drury says get used to these prices: "We're not going to see a sudden drop-off in price anytime soon, because there doesn't seem to be any resolution for the chip crisis."

Will this put a damper on the market?
More Than 12% of New Car Payments Top $1000 a Month

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a40489386/new-car-payments-over-a-thousand-dollars/

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Like always there were some models that had issues, Vega 1st one that comes to mind. Most of the folks that I know, that have had issues, do not take care of their vehicles. The cars I had in the 60-90s were good trucks. Suburbans, biggest issues were some electronics with my 1995. Drive train, etc. had no issues. Towed a 25 ft boot many miles, etc.

OP
OP
Carolina Jim

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Sponsored

Mud Dawg

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
For me the biggest issue with financing a vehicle (which people rarely, if ever, talk about) is the overall question of affordability. I'm not talking about "can you make the monthly payment" as much as I am "what price should you be paying in the first place."

When you stroke one big check you put a whole lot more thought into the total price of what you're buying than if you undertake the more (relatively) abstract idea of a monthly payment. I think its easier for most people to significantly "slippery ramp" the price of a vehicle purchase based on the operation of a monthly payment (and, derivatively, the "insignificant" increase in the amount of a monthly payment when you are looking at even pricier models) than when they are paying up front.

From a personal finance perspective, affordability really is the most important question, both for your monthly budget and net worth. When people finance, I think they are naturally inclined to play "fast and lose" with both of those issues. When you pay cash, you've basically put both issues to bed right in the beginning and you don't have to think about either again.

Mud Dawg

Last edited:

Seahund

Badlands
First Name
Adam Webber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bought it as a retirement gift to myself. Retired from the Air Force back in 2007 and about to retire from the Air Force again (civil service) in a few months. After 37 years of service, I'm looking forward to being off the clock. I've never ordered a new vehicle in my life, so this has been quite the experience. Plan on visiting many National Parks, camping, fishing, hiking in retirement.

Happy 4th of July to everyone. God bless.

broncojetacademy.jpeg
Right there with you - Navy. 2dr, Badlands...

Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
The scary thing is it's not that high because it costs that much. It's because the value of the dollar is so low it takes that much to make up the difference.

Seahund

Badlands
First Name
Adam Webber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Exactly-I’d rather have a lower payment then worrying about making a $800+ a month payment if something goes sideways.

outside of my Bronco, my only other major bill is a mortgage payment. I have a decent 401k/investments and money in the bank in savings too.
I have 0 cash in the bank. They don't get to make $$$ off me. I also don't 'overpay' my Federal taxes for a big 'Tax Return' check, again - they don't get to make $$$ off me. 7 years ago, I would've done a modest down payment. Since this time last year, nope. I'll take the money while interest rates are still below 4% - assuming my Badlands gets here in the next 45 days... tick - tock. I live in SoCal (not born or raised here so - no bagging on me) and bought a home 12/2011. Since then, the value is up 200%. Even in 'reality', it should retract back to around 125%. Liquidity is important, cash on hand is important. Banks can stop dispensing during rough times and... clouds are looming. Best to shutter the windows and only go out for food and gas. ;) Hoping everyone gets their Bronco sooner than they expect.

Seahund

Badlands
First Name
Adam Webber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hear you. Frugal lifestyle and lots of hours at work. I was going to buy a new FJ Cruiser off the lot back in 2012. Didn't feel right at the time. So, I took a wait and see approach and just kept on waiting and saving. Now, lookee what Ford brought back! The timing is right as I am close to retirement. Or work a little longer. See what the economy does. Either way.
Looks like you'll be working a wwwwwhiiiiiiiiillllleeee longer...

Seahund

Badlands
First Name
Adam Webber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine is a 2.3 Manual and I also try and run Eco mode as much as I can in town.
A couple of YouTubers did MPG tests in 'Normal' and 'Eco' mode and found Normal actually did better. I know 'All Terrain Nation' did one, I forget the other channel.... you must get 21-21 per gal...

GeorgiaDawgs

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Spouse and I are both retired. Traded an 11 month old Bronco Sport in for my BB bronco last Monday. Financed $29000 at 1.85% for 60 months. Total interest to be paid...$1380. I can live with that. I'll probably trade or sell within 2 years anyway. Being retired, monthly payments matter, but so does interest and length of the loan. If someone can afford high car payments, I'm happy for them. It's all about perspective. What's important to some isn't as important to others. Hopefully the next couple of years won't drain us too badly before there's a change.
Sponsored