First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've never really been in the Ala Carte camp solely because I understand the efficiency behind it. However, I just realized something with the Ranger that had me pretty mad, and I REALLY hope is isn't the case with Bronco as well... In the Ranger, you can't get nav without getting adaptive cruise control. This is a huge annoyance to me because I hate ACC. It was extremely annoying in the 4Runner I test drove... I wanted to hit some lane reflectors to see how the suspension would react, and the car kept trying to jerk the steering wheel out of my hand. I don't need a computer driving my car for me, I'll drive my own damn car thank you

Also, ASS is very annoying. I recently spend 2 weeks driving my dad's DD when I went home to visit, and its a 2018 Escape with ASS. I decided to leave it on the first day to see what it was like, and it annoyed the hell out of me. Just the shutter the car made every time I started to go at a green light made me keep thinking something was wrong with the car. And the fact that you can't leave it off permanently is even more annoying... I would actually get angry when I came to my first stop light and heard it turn off.

In a vehicle like the Bronco that I plan on having a louder exhaust on, that "feature" would be a MASSIVE turn off (pun not intended)
Sponsored

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I know I can at least turn those off, but I'd rather just not have them at all. Hell, standard ACC is the biggest reason I'm glad I got a 2018 Mustang instead of a 2019. Kind of irrelevant for the Bronco, but some tracks and racing orgs wont allow a car with ACC to attend a track day because it's too much of a hazard

Nav is useful to me because I'm not a fan of Apple CarPlay. I have it in my Mustang, but I keep it turned off. I like the Sync interface more... more ergonomic and better looking IMO. I also hate that with Carplay I can't open my texts on my phone without it changing the screen on my car... I'd like to be able to keep Nav up to try and find my way around the Dallas highway system while checking my text from the person I'm meeting there to make sure the meeting is still on

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Escape '09 Mercury Mariner
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Nav is useful to me because I'm not a fan of Apple CarPlay. I have it in my Mustang, but I keep it turned off. I like the Sync interface more... more ergonomic and better looking IMO. I also hate that with Carplay I can't open my texts on my phone without it changing the screen on my car... I'd like to be able to keep Nav up to try and find my way around the Dallas highway system while checking my text from the person I'm meeting there to make sure the meeting is still on
In Sync 3, there is an option to have texts read and voice-replied to in the CarPlay settings (not the sync 3 settings). You can keep whatever maps app running real time and a banner will appear when you receive a text, tap it and from there you have some voice prompted options. I had factory nav in my Flex and I don't miss it in my Escape, Sync 3 is pretty good. As far as ACC, and LK, there are selectable intensities as well as off for those. I don't know for sure, but I imagine the 4Runner is similar.
For ASS, when coming to a full stop, immediately let up on the brake pedal slightly but maintain just enough pressure to keep the car stopped, With a little practice, you can stop smoothly and keep the ASS from engaging most of the time. I make a game of it.

Or just turn it off each time you start the vehicle.

Last edited:

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There is an option to have texts read and voice-replied to in the CarPlay settings. You can keep whatever maps app running real time and a banner will appear when you receive a text, tap it and from there you have some voice prompted options. I had factory nav in my Flex and I don't miss it in my Escape, Sync 3 is pretty good.
Then it has to interrupt my music to read me a text that I could've very easily just glanced at, and there's still a chance of not hearing it correctly and having to read it anyways, and there's also the privacy factor

Ultimately, it's not worth it for what is at best a minimal advantage in user interface (which, to me, provides no advantage, as I have no issues with Sync's nav system)

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Escape '09 Mercury Mariner
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Then it has to interrupt my music to read me a text that I could've very easily just glanced at, and there's still a chance of not hearing it correctly and having to read it anyways, and there's also the privacy factor

Ultimately, it's not worth it for what is at best a minimal advantage in user interface (which, to me, provides no advantage, as I have no issues with Sync's nav system)
Fine, then.

Sponsored

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Ranger FX4 (MANUAL) & '74 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Late to the party, but I don't care if too much if it's package or a la carte, but what Ford needs to do is let you pick your priorities.
I hate having to make a 1/2 dozen selections in the "build your own" option to find out manual transmission isn't available. Too many websites are so graphically burdened, you can't find a decent list of what options are available on which editions.

My suggestion to Ford... give me a toggle list on the "build your own" website (maybe on the RH side like Amazon). That way I can toggle Manual Transmission, 2.7L V6, 2 Door, ... and it greys out the special editions I can't get. (Hopefully this list doesn't grey out much.)
At least this way, I could start a build I'm likely to finish.

Actually, a toggle to make the website extremely retro would be an interesting gimmick.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
PRO TIP. In many cars a lot of the wiring is pre installed on all cars.
like cruise control. Simply get a steering wheel with Cruise. Or fog lamps just install lights and switches.

but this day and age i donā€™t know what options I would want over the base trim on most vehicles. My new work truck is a BASE WT Chevy. And itā€™s nicer than my bosses old 2008 Denali. (Excluding heated seats and wheel) I have a 8ā€ touch screen with car play and heated mirrors.

aftermarket would be cheaper for anything else, speakers, wheels, suspension, lights etc

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While I'm here... Any ever drive a Start/Stop manual?
We had a rental in the UK a few years ago. A Renault Grand Picasso (reminded me of the Tartan Prancer from the 2015 Vacation movie).
As I recall, it only stopped if you put the clutch in and took it out of gear. We'd been driving for a couple hours before we encountered the stop feature. Very unnerving the first time it just "died". Once back in gear, it restarted.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
While I'm here... Any ever drive a Start/Stop manual?
We had a rental in the UK a few years ago. A Renault Grand Picasso (reminded me of the Tartan Prancer from the 2015 Vacation movie).
As I recall, it only stopped if you put the clutch in and took it out of gear. We'd been driving for a couple hours before we encountered the stop feature. Very unnerving the first time it just "died". Once back in gear, it restarted.
I haven't, but that's how I've heard it works with a manual. Honestly it sounds WAY better. My issue with stop start on an auto is that it does it when I'm only going to be stopped for a moment, at stop signs, in parking garages, etc, and drives me nuts. In those circumstances I wouldn't be putting a manual into neutral so problem solved. It would only turn off when I for sure wouldn't need it on for a while, and then would be on by the time I was letting the clutch out in first.

CJay

Badlands
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I haven't, but that's how I've heard it works with a manual. Honestly it sounds WAY better. My issue with stop start on an auto is that it does it when I'm only going to be stopped for a moment, at stop signs, in parking garages, etc, and drives me nuts. In those circumstances I wouldn't be putting a manual into neutral so problem solved. It would only turn off when I for sure wouldn't need it on for a while, and then would be on by the time I was letting the clutch out in first.
That's what I liked about the manual version... it essentially gave you the ability on the fly to decide if you wanted to shut down. If you knew you were only stopping for a few seconds, just hold the clutch. If it was going to take longer, pop it out of gear.
That being said, one of my past vehicles was a VW Sportwagen TDI. I used to love trying to stretch mileage out as much as possible. Personal best: 704 miles on a 14.2 gallon tank... 14.1 gallons to refuel.

Sponsored

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

PRO TIP. In many cars a lot of the wiring is pre installed on all cars.
like cruise control. Simply get a steering wheel with Cruise. Or fog lamps just install lights and switches.

but this day and age i donā€™t know what options I would want over the base trim on most vehicles. My new work truck is a BASE WT Chevy. And itā€™s nicer than my bosses old 2008 Denali. (Excluding heated seats and wheel) I have a 8ā€ touch screen with car play and heated mirrors.

aftermarket would be cheaper for anything else, speakers, wheels, suspension, lights etc
The flip side to that is, in lower trim levels, they may have the wiring to a certain point for some features but they won't have the control modules for the higher spec feature groups.

One example is heated mirrors on the Ford Focus. If you had an SEL without heated mirrors, you could just install them and hook them up. If you had an SE, you would also have to add a door control module and associated harness out to the mirrors.

That being said, your point still stands and I'm a big fan of up-contenting lower trims.

The905Raptor

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I hope they don't make it engine dependent. For example... I am a city going guy, but I LOVE the off roading look. I want big beefy 35" tires and wide fender flairs and maybe even a small lift... but want a plug in hybrid engine... that's nearly impossible to get without going aftermarket.

In an ideal world I would be able to get the option to a la cart, spec my engine and the "body" separately... that would be wild.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
The flip side to that is, in lower trim levels, they may have the wiring to a certain point for some features but they won't have the control modules for the higher spec feature groups.

One example is heated mirrors on the Ford Focus. If you had an SEL without heated mirrors, you could just install them and hook them up. If you had an SE, you would also have to add a door control module and associated harness out to the mirrors.

That being said, your point still stands and I'm a big fan of up-contenting lower trims.
Exactly! My wife has a base 2017 Honda Civic. She wants remote start. Turns out all I need to do is install the ā€œreceiverā€ like a $20 part. And have the dealer activate it. Vs the $250+ dealer option.
And my mother in law wanted cruise on her base 2014 Kia Rio. Just needed to install the buttons on the steering wheel. (Junk yard $5)
Sponsored