Sponsored

Who's bought a vehicle sight unseen before?

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Don't think this has been asked before, if it's a repeat then my apologies. So odds are for most us that the first time we drive a new Bronco it'll be when we drive our own away from the dealer.

Question is has anyone ever done this before and how did it turn out?

My story is that I have, twice. First was in Germany, ordered a US spec BMW 318ti strictly off of magazine reviews, I did love it though, fun car and it was everything the reviews said it was! Second was in Texas when my oldest was getting her license at 16. There was really nothing she wanted and Texas is all about trucks and they're proud of them at what they were asking but there was a used Rav4 she liked but didn't like the color so I asked what color she wanted then proceeded to look on the internet. Found the right one in SC at a Ford dealer of all places (didn't live here then) and had it shipped to Texas. She had the little Toyota for 6 or 7 years, great car and it was seriously in great shape.

That's my story, one new and one used both good endings.
Sponsored

Reactions: abe

Wolfeman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2017 Raptor. Ordered the day order banks opened in June, built in October and didn't get delivered until January. Long process much like what's going on here today. A lot of excitement back then because there hadn't been a Raptor produced since 2014 at that time. Fantastic vehicle that was ultimately totaled and replaced with a 2019 Raptor.

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

My 93 Explorer, my 2015 Fusion. Bought them first then said hey mind if I take it for a spin.

Fuzion2Bronco

Base
First Name
Asher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Don't think this has been asked before, if it's a repeat then my apologies. So odds are for most us that the first time we drive a new Bronco it'll be when we drive our own away from the dealer.

My story is that I have, twice. First was in Germany, ordered a US spec BMW 318ti strictly off of magazine reviews, I did love it though, fun car and it was everything the reviews said it was! Second was in Texas when my oldest was getting her license at 16. There was really nothing she wanted and Texas is all about trucks and they're proud of them at what they were asking but there was a used Rav4 she liked but didn't like the color so I asked what color she wanted then proceeded to look on the internet. Found the right one in SC at a Ford dealer of all places (didn't live here then) and had it shipped to Texas. She had the little Toyota for 6 or 7 years, great car and it was seriously in great shape.

2016 Honda Pilot, all new ground up, still using it. No Problems just wear and tear.

Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I bought my RS sight unseen, but I had test driven one. Dealers here had 10k markups and none were willing to work with me. I found the exact spec I wanted at a dealer in Washington for a couple grand under MSRP. Bought it over the phone while I was at work on an offshore oil platform. They drove it to the Tacoma port and put it on a boat to Alaska. I was watching all the ships go by from my platform wondering which one had my car on it.

Not quite the same but I ordered my '15 BMW S1000RR without ever seeing one. '15 was a new generation with not a whole lot of info at the time. Technically I "saw it" it when it showed up at my dealer (first one in state) and of course followed through with the purchase. It was fun being among the first to modify the new gen, figuring out what parts could be adapted from older models before the aftermarket caught up.

Last edited:

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My brother has bought a new 2019 F150, 2010 Corvette Grand Sport and a 2015 Corvette Stingray Convertible sight unseen from halfway around the world. The Stingray is in my garage and he has never seen the F150. The Grand Sport was a bday gift for dad. My brother works in Dubai and actually bought a $450k house sight unseen as well. He should be here around holidays for a couple months then gone again for a year or more.

deejaybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

2006 Audi A3. They had just started selling them in the US and I saw an article about it and the vehicle brochure before I decided to pull the trigger. It was still on the boat from Germany and there was only one other one in the state and it was a display vehicle at a Costco. It was too far away for me to bother driving to so I just trusted my gut. Worked out great because I loved the car and it was fun being the only person in Nevada with an A3 for a while.

Last edited:

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2018 Volvo XC60. we have been in the new XC90 which more or less has the same interior and style. Still had some questions and was worried about some features that may or may not have worked. But we were happy with the safety and size and knew a stroller would fit in the back.

WadeWolf76

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Wrangler JK Willy's, 67 Ford Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I purchased my 67 Mustang via Ebay motors and had only seen pictures. Once I got to Texas to pick it up I looked it over for about an hour. Ended up I had the guy take 1500 of the price because he had pulled the center console out to put in his 68 even though it had been in the pictures.

I knew I planned on rebuilding most of it so I was just worried that all the parts were accounted for and it wasn't totally held together with duck tape and bondo.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A couple, but the most risky was a BMW X3 in Germany. Not only sight unseen, but I never even talked to anyone at the dealership except by email. Told them the specs I wanted and what day I was flying into country. Did a wire transfer for payment. Right after I sent the money I thought maybe I should have at least talked to them to make sure it was really a dealership. Turned out fine. They had it waiting in the showroom the day I got there.

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Not exactly the same thing, but I ordered my ex-wife a "Warriors in Pink" edition Mustang convertible before any public examples were available.

The car was great fun. She later quit her great job to tend bar and "go back to school" and ended up taking off with a guy she met at the bar.

My life is dramatically better. She's still tending bar (and lost the Mustang years ago).

Villageidit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4X4 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When I bought my Element it was over the phone. Needed to replace my old truck that was no longer road worthy ASAP. Had never been in an Element but always thought they were practical. Showed up and gave the dealer 5K cash for a down and drove away. Still have it and have had no issues other than northern winters destroying the brakes and struts.

west

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 T-Bird, 71 LTD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
2003 G35 Coupe. Owned it for 14 years

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A couple, but the most risky was a BMW X3 in Germany. Not only sight unseen, but I never even talked to anyone at the dealership except by email. Told them the specs I wanted and what day I was flying into country. Did a wire transfer for payment. Right after I sent the money I thought maybe I should have at least talked to them to make sure it was really a dealership. Turned out fine. They had it waiting in the showroom the day I got there.
Glad that it worked out well for you. That could have turned out bad quick with wire funds and different countries lol
Sponsored