Sponsored

Who's bought a vehicle sight unseen before?

Shotsy

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '18 BMW m240i, '04 Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought my RS sight unseen, but I had test driven one. Dealers here had 10k markups and none were willing to work with me. I found the exact spec I wanted at a dealer in Washington for a couple grand under MSRP.
I bought my Focus RS sight unseen. Dealers around the Boston area had ~$5k markups, with one dealer countering my firm no on ADM with "Well, tell me what you feel is fair for the ADM?" Found a dealer close to NY state that sold it to me at MSRP. Can't complain about the car. Loved it until I sold it about a month ago to make some room and funds ready for the Bronco.
Sponsored

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Ford Excursion, 79 Ford Bronco, 04 Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've purchased 4 first run model BMWs over the years. Everything has been fine, but one, my 2012 F30 (328I) had good power, but sounded terrible. This was the first 4 banger in a 3 series in some time and the direct injection clatter sounded like a diesel. BMW added sound deadening in the next couple of model years, then rebuilt that engine to a high quality.

The experience with this engine led me to eventually getting the 440i that I have now.

if it's a quality vehicle, buying sight unseen isn't such a big deal if you're familiar with what to expect as I've been with BMWs for the past 17-18 years. However, if someone has never driven an off road vehicle, particularly those who will get the sasquatch package, may want to go test drive a Ford Ranger at least, or a Wrangler to get a feel for how the ride will be. Won't be the same, but the experience can help you prepare your ass for how things will feel.

If you're coming from a car and this is your first SUV, you really need to get your head wrapped around the fact that you'll be in a totally different world now moving up to the Bronco. ?
THIS. If you have never ridden in a Jeep Wrangler - DO IT. Although you can imagine there will be differences, if you like the Wrangler, you will LOVE the Bronco.

If you hate the Wrangler "feel" and experience, you need to strongly reconsider what you're doing here... The Bronco will be better, but there are inherently things that come along with this type of vehicle that cannot be avoided.

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
THIS. If you have never ridden in a Jeep Wrangler - DO IT. Although you can imagine there will be differences, if you like the Wrangler, you will LOVE the Bronco.

If you hate the Wrangler "feel" and experience, you need to strongly reconsider what you're doing here... The Bronco will be better, but there are inherently things that come along with this type of vehicle that cannot be avoided.
There is a chasm between the way the Wrangler and Ranger drive (mostly owing to SFA vs. IFS and recirculating ball steering vs. rack & pinion), so it's hard to predict where the Bronco will fall on that spectrum. Sometimes driving a Wrangler can feel like trying to ride a rodeo bull, especially when you start death wobbling during a strong crosswind on the highway.

Most body-on-frame SUVs with IFS drive close enough to soccer mom crossovers that most people don't really notice the difference. The Bronco might be like that, just with more wind noise.

cybersal

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Several years ago, drove a buddy to a dealer two hours away to buy a used Civic for his daughter. He bought it after a visual inspection and test drive. His daughter still drives it.

Am hoping he returns the favor and drives me to Leonardtown Ford so I can buy my Bronco.

Wingzfan

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I ordered a 2015 Mustang GT back in the summer of 2014 shortly after the order banks had opened for that one. I had planned to wait a year, but my G35 had taken a dump just past the powertrain warranty and I needed a car.

I took delivery ~3 months later and kept that car for 4 years. Zero complaints. I only sold it because I was moving to Michigan and needed something more practical.

Sponsored

mrklas

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HRV
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
A few cars I have bought 'sight unseen' meaning I've seen pictures, marketing material but not the actual car I wanted to buy because it wasn't available.

1. 1989 Nissan 240 SX - I bought it over the phone through my brother's wife's cousin.
  2. 2015 Porsche 911 GTS convertible - thought I was able to drive 'similiar' vehicles because it was a variant of the the 911.
  3. 2019 Aston Martin Vantage - I had driven Mercedes with the twin turbo V-8 and owned a 2012 Aston Martin Vantage.
All 3 worked out for me. I paid for both the 240 SX and the Vantage prior to delivery.

OP
OP
Lowcountry Bronco

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

A few cars I have bought 'sight unseen' meaning I've seen pictures, marketing material but not the actual car I wanted to buy because it wasn't available.

1. 1989 Nissan 240 SX - I bought it over the phone through my brother's wife's cousin.
  2. 2015 Porsche 911 GTS convertible - thought I was able to drive 'similiar' vehicles because it was a variant of the the 911.
  3. 2019 Aston Martin Vantage - I had driven Mercedes with the twin turbo V-8 and owned a 2012 Aston Martin Vantage.
All 3 worked out for me. I paid for both the 240 SX and the Vantage prior to delivery.
That's a pretty wide upgrade over 30 years, markets been good for you!

Velociraptor

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus RX450h, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm curious on this point. For those of you who have bought a vehicle sight unseen, are you of average height/ weight. I have no concerns because I'm 5'10" and weigh around 185. I would think that buying a vehicle without inspecting would be near impossible in above or below average ranges.
Very good point! I am 6'2" and my wife is 4'8" so a massive contrast. So far all of our cars fit both of us which is surprising. I am expecting the Bronco will to although I will be the primary driver. The one car that did not fit both of us was the Smart for Two. It fit me but not my wife which is too funny since the car is so tiny. We test drove one many years ago and it was a total piece of junk!

TheWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Silverado HD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I actually wrote about this in another forum, but I bought a 2017 Chevrolet SS sedan sight unseen. I have a good friend who had one and it was amazing, so when GM decided to throw a 20% off promotion at this limited production naturally aspirated small-block V8 with a manual transmission in a vehicle that could easily fit my entire family I started making calls. I called EVERY dealership with one of these cars on their lot within a day of the promotion launching. ALL manuals were sold. I gave up hope and mentally moved on. About a week later, I got a call from a dealership hundreds of miles away with many states between asking if I was still interested in an SS. I asked one question (does it have three pedals?) before placing a deposit. It was only after the deposit that I even found out what color it was. Turns out, this was EXACTLY what I would have ordered had I been given the opportunity. I had it shipped to me, and it was transported in an enclosed trailer with wealthy auto enthusiasts collection as he was moving south. So when I got the car I had a fun time looking at the Bently and LaFerarri the SS was accompanying in the truck.
I know it is his job, but watching the truck driver back my new car out on to the unloading hydraulic ramp from the top row of vehicles before lowering it to the ground was incredibly nerve-wracking. Please don't pop the clutch, please don't pop the clutch.....

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Buoght my 67 Bronco sight unseen from WA sate and had it shipped here to AZ. First order of business - tighten the steering wheel! Drove much better after that.

Sponsored

7ToeJoe

Base
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350,F150,CJ-7
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was in Germany when I heard that AMC was done with the CJ and bringing in the Wrangler. Had to pick color and package from a brochure, then ride a train from Stuttgart to Bremerhaven. Test drove it the long way home. Kind of wish we had a train from Houston to Granger.

Coldsteele

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150, 2007 suburban, 2008 suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Don't think this has been asked before, if it's a repeat then my apologies. So odds are for most us that the first time we drive a new Bronco it'll be when we drive our own away from the dealer.

Question is has anyone ever done this before and how did it turn out?

My story is that I have, twice. First was in Germany, ordered a US spec BMW 318ti strictly off of magazine reviews, I did love it though, fun car and it was everything the reviews said it was! Second was in Texas when my oldest was getting her license at 16. There was really nothing she wanted and Texas is all about trucks and they're proud of them at what they were asking but there was a used Rav4 she liked but didn't like the color so I asked what color she wanted then proceeded to look on the internet. Found the right one in SC at a Ford dealer of all places (didn't live here then) and had it shipped to Texas. She had the little Toyota for 6 or 7 years, great car and it was seriously in great shape.

That's my story, one new and one used both good endings.
Bro, I've bought USED vehicles sight unseen. Gotta have a little adventure and excitement in your life!

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

1984 Bronco II: (before any were available to see or drive)Good decision, a bit under powered so I upgraded to a 1986 with the EFI engine, good choice. I hoping the New Bronco will be the modern equivalent of the BII

Last edited:

Phil_68w10

Big Bend
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I traded in my Focus ST for my F150 sight unseen.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I guess I've bought two with only pictures to go by, not including ones that I flew in and bought once I saw it. One was a Pinzguaer 710K from someone that I trusted and went 4-wheeling with. The other was a Unimog from a dealer in Germany. They had a good rep and the community is small so bad news would travel fast.

Both turned out to be good trucks. The former was a 1976 and had <10k kilometers on it. Even had the daily log book from the Swiss military detailing where it went and when. It ended up being too nice to beat up off road so I sold it to a guy in AZ. Funny ending is that he flew in, drove it a bit, handed over a check, then DROVE IT HOME. That was the second one I had someone drive home.

The Mog was a good truck and beast off road. Best recovery day was 7.5 hrs to recover two trucks submerged in the woods due to heavy rain. Waist deep water meant the Mog was in its element. The PTO winch got a big time workout. Worst day off road was when it flopped on its side after rolling backwards down the hill by itself. Not a fun day/evening.
Sponsored