jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Dammit YOU! You have my mind working in different directions. Now I’m wondering if I really want mid package and off-road moxy in a daily driver that will see occasional gravel/dirt trails and serious snowy winters. Maybe the creature comforts of LUX would make more sense. 33” tires, 4.27 gearing, locking rear diff would probably get me everywhere I expect to go.
At the very least, your perspective earns you a drink on me if our paths ever cross.
My baby...although I may go to Badlands for the factory setup, and then paint parts along the way. Seems like the more sensible thing to do because my OBX build is within literally $100 of a similarly equipped BL (not factoring in added costs for painted parts). I get the lift, but bland interior. Playing around with photoshop....
Ford Bronco Why all the hate on the OBX? Bronco AMB MAP copy2
Sponsored

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My baby...although I may go to Badlands for the factory setup, and then paint parts along the way. Seems like the more sensible thing to do because my OBX build is within literally $100 of a similarly equipped BL (not factoring in added costs for painted parts). I get the lift, but bland interior. Playing around with photoshop....
What color is that? Also, you seem to have done the most planning and research on the OBX build options including aftermarket mods. So question for you, I am getting the OBX in AMB. I am dead set on getting SASQ but I agree with you on the clash between the paint and the fender material and color. Do you think it would be possible to get aftermarket fenders that can be paint-matched to the body and more important would that look gaudy or tacky based on the size of those fenders?

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What color is that? Also, you seem to have done the most planning and research on the OBX build options including aftermarket mods. So question for you, I am getting the OBX in AMB. I am dead set on getting SASQ but I agree with you on the clash between the paint and the fender material and color. Do you think it would be possible to get aftermarket fenders that can be paint-matched to the body and more important would that look gaudy or tacky based on the size of those fenders?
That’s my attempt at AMB in photoshop. Haha. No, I haven’t researched anything aftermarket beyond wheels. And very curious the feasibility on painting fenders and handles (if I go badlands)

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That’s my attempt at AMB in photoshop. Haha. No, I haven’t researched anything aftermarket beyond wheels. And very curious the feasibility on painting fenders and handles (if I go badlands)
Do you think the painted fenders if possible, on the SASQ would look work or because of size look dumb?

TomH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think a lot of people are put off by the colored fenders and small tires. But Ford did the right thing by including the OBX as a trim that appeals to folks that are not hard core off roaders. If the look and the quipment work for you, ignore the critics! More options and choices are a win-win. After building the WT, OBX and BL dozens of times, there is practically no price difference between the three with my specifications. The problem for me was in being confined to interiors as there are very few choices from which to choose, and it gets harder when you try to balance the interior and exterior colors. I will probably stay with the OBX because I do not need rock crawling gear and the BL, as much as I like it, has a haloween colored interior with no room for other choices. What appeals to me about the OBX is that it gives me the tech and luxury I expect in a DD and the well equipped offroad equipment I need occasionally. With the SASQ package and steel bumpers and upgraded bash plate, the OBX will be able to do virtually everything offroad that the BL can, minus rocks. To me the OBX as I configured it is absolutely the best of both worlds-again good job Ford! Anyway, buy YOUR bronco and enjoy the heck out of it. As I have said before, there are no bad broncos!!!!!!!
Ditto!

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Painted fender flares - For me, I would damage them off-road...plain ones are cheaper to replace.
OBX trim is beyond my budget as well, but it is a nice ride.
I think the biggest hate is the pedestrian-looking street tires. Combined with the flat running boards, it makes the OB look less off-road worthy, even though it's quite capable. But the street tires will definitely help it's on-road ride, noise and gas mileage.

It's not completely decided, but the general feeling is that you could put some 33" AT tires on the OBX without issue.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not sure wh y all the obx hate it will be as capable as any other bronco ,with a tastful interior and cool slick fenders i think it will be a keeper!
Just dont park that crap next to me lol just kidding.

ChapEJF

Outer Banks
First Name
Everett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco OBX/BD Mashup
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Great question and a lot of great comments. Here is my take. Love the tech in the OBX but the rugged appearance of the BD.
My solutions:
Fender Flares and Mirror caps: wrap them to match bumpers.
Wheels & Tires: try to get BD steelie take offs and change out to a more aggressive All Terrain tire like a BFG KO2. If I keep the wheels change tire size to LT275x65x18 and I get the same circumference with a more aggressive tire. This would keep me from having to have Ford change the speedo setting.
Change out tube steps with Rock Rails
Add locking rear diff, accessory switches, floor liners and maybe modular bumper.
What I then get is the aggressive look that is fully off road functional with the tech I want for very little aftermarket hassle. Oh yea, and it is much less than a BL comparably equipped.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think a lot of people are put off by the colored fenders and small tires. But Ford did the right thing by including the OBX as a trim that appeals to folks that are not hard core off roaders. If the look and the quipment work for you, ignore the critics! More options and choices are a win-win. After building the WT, OBX and BL dozens of times, there is practically no price difference between the three with my specifications. The problem for me was in being confined to interiors as there are very few choices from which to choose, and it gets harder when you try to balance the interior and exterior colors. I will probably stay with the OBX because I do not need rock crawling gear and the BL, as much as I like it, has a haloween colored interior with no room for other choices. What appeals to me about the OBX is that it gives me the tech and luxury I expect in a DD and the well equipped offroad equipment I need occasionally. With the SASQ package and steel bumpers and upgraded bash plate, the OBX will be able to do virtually everything offroad that the BL can, minus rocks. To me the OBX as I configured it is absolutely the best of both worlds-again good job Ford! Anyway, buy YOUR bronco and enjoy the heck out of it. As I have said before, there are no bad broncos!!!!!!!
Adding sas, Bumpers, and bash plate to obx essentially morphs it into a FE. So you're good there !
Sorry to burst your bubble russ but amb looks about.... 6 shades darker than that. I WISH it looked anything like your photoshop here
I think the biggest hate is the pedestrian-looking street tires. Combined with the flat running boards, it makes the OB look less off-road worthy, even though it's quite capable. But the street tires will definitely help it's on-road ride, noise and gas mileage.

It's not completely decided, but the general feeling is that you could put some 33" AT tires on the OBX without issue.
The obx will definitely have the best highway driving comfort while still remaining very off road capable
Not sure wh y all the obx hate it will be as capable as any other bronco ,with a tastful interior and cool slick fenders i think it will be a keeper!
Just dont park that crap next to me lol just kidding.
Voted best at beach 2022

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Are you trying to tell us that the black seats with the tan accents do not go well with the gray dashboard, gray carpet, the red paint, and the blue handles? Perhaps the Ford team that chooses the color schemes should not be high on LSD when the final decisions are made.
I’m not sexist but maybe some middle age men on the interior design team would have yielded a more ascetic interior.

Sponsored

rtsherry73

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Some seem to think if it doesn't sit 3 feet off the ground or have at least 37 inch tires and it has body color fender flares, it's not a real Bronco. I don't care, I'm buying an Outer Banks to go to Walmart and Home Depot. I don't need to impress anyone but myself.
I live in South Florida (Hot as Hell, no snow, hills, mud, etc...all roads level and straight) I'm going to order white body and white hard top. Will look great with white mirrors, door handles, and fender flares. Love the standard wheel. Also ordering Top Sound Dead, High Package (More sound dead, etc), and wheel locks. Was going to order mud flaps but now not available B&P. Thinking about leather seats, but $2100 a pile of money. Wish they would offer MGV option for other trims.

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just for consideration- has anyone noticed that the shadow black modular top Interior is dark grey vs the tan for the mic top? Or that the price for the 4x4 on demand on the OBX has gone from zero to 1590.00. Truth be told,the previous pricing for both my OBX and Badlands builds has gone up about 3 grand from last week.

Last edited:

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just for consideration- has anyone noticed that the shadow lack modular top Interior is dark grey vs the tan for the mic top? Or that the price for the 4x4 on demand on the OBX has gone from zero to 1590.00. Truth be told,the previous pricing for both my OBX and Badlands builds has gone up about 3 grand from last week.
Yes. I'm not even going to look at B/P until January's update. B/P is SNAFU.

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just for consideration- has anyone noticed that the shadow black modular top Interior is dark grey vs the tan for the mic top? Or that the price for the 4x4 on demand on the OBX has gone from zero to 1590.00. Truth be told,the previous pricing for both my OBX and Badlands builds has gone up about 3 grand from last week.
I wouldn't trust the B&P for interior color of the tops, and it'll be most likely irrelevant if you add some sort of sound deadening like hot heads or factory (if factory is an option/available).

The advanced on demand 4x4 is $795 and now bakes in the 4.27 locking rear differential cost, which is $795. If you subtract the the 4.27 differential cost from the from the $1595, that's what it the advanced 4x4 comes to.

It's just another thing not listed, sadly.

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I wouldn't trust the B&P for interior color of the tops, and it'll be most likely irrelevant if you add some sort of sound deadening like hot heads or factory (if factory is an option/available).

The advanced on demand 4x4 is $795 and now bakes in the 4.27 locking rear differential cost, which is $795. If you subtract the the 4.27 differential cost from the from the $1595, that's what it the advanced 4x4 comes to.

It's just another thing not listed, sadly.
Thanks. I’d like to know interior hardtop colors. If dark I will probably go badlands , if tan I’d go OBX with leather interior.
Sponsored