Sponsored

Why are they saying Bronco's resale value is so terrible?

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

labattbluebronco

Base
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 bronco, 18 silverado, 11 taurus, 01 wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you’re keeping it long term, why does it matter?
I agree 100%. I have had my 1994 since 2004 and plan on passing it down to my son. Bought it for $4500, spent way more upgrading and maintaining it (wife calls Bronco Billy the "money pit"). My new Bronco will be the same for me; just 10 times the initial investment. I'm sure I'll spend an equal, if not more, amount of money on the upgrades, maintenance, and repairs. The new one will go to my other son.

I have never considered a new motor vehicle to be an investment. The majority (definitely not all) will loose value. Consider this an investment in the convenience, fun, and use you will get out of it. If you don't want to "invest" is those things, use public transportation and save your money. I hear Schwab and Fidelity are looking for new clients and you'd have a much better chance of making money.

Attachments

rustedgoat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Base
So what are the negative issues happening with the 2021 model's? I know delivery and ADM sucked. Original tops are revised. But are there known changes happening to the 2022+ models?

I'm talking daily driver issues not trail related stuff.

heynow14

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco - BL SAS MT LUX SOFT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is the dumbest shit (not directed at OP) - resale value / depreciation is based on data - there is no data for depreciation in 5 years 🤣😂.
There actually is a ton of data that exists and Ford is using it to arrive at these residuals. These numbers will VERY LIKELY be highly accurate and were based on resales of literally millions of vehicles over the past years - mostly Ford trucks, I'd suspect. If these residual values are off significantly, there's a major issue on Ford's books as they would then be on the hook for a ton of cars with negative equity - as in lease walkaways. The residual values are almost certain to be spot on. There is too much downside risk for Ford if these are out of whack. How they relate to Jeeps is up for debate however...

Sponsored

doccoch

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 1967 Mustang Fastback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Who knows? i wouldn't worry. In fact, I may be a dumb dumb but I NEVER worry about resale value. I just drive what I love as long as I can and get best price or trade when ready to change. A few hundred to thousand doesn't make giant difference in the end. But I REALLY don't think ANYONE can predict a resale value of a car that isn't even a year old yet.

Lxatoledo

Wildtrak
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 EB Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Comparing a Wildtrak to an similarly priced Rubicon, they are saying the Bronco will depreciate double the amount of a Wrangler ($27k over 5 years vs $13k)?

I know there's a shortage now and you can sell a used one above MSRP, but I was planning to keep mine long term (5+ years) so now I'm a little concerned.

Ford Bronco Why are they saying Bronco's resale value is so terrible? 2021-Bronco-steering-rack-snapped-failur

Ford Bronco Why are they saying Bronco's resale value is so terrible? 2021-Bronco-steering-rack-snapped-failur
Everyone of my 32 cars I have purchased and ended up selling has depreciated. At 50k w/ current ask of 70k+, this is the first car that has NOT gone down in value. Couple that w/ inflation, numerically, I don't see a huge problem. If you plan on keeping it........there should be no worries as you are buying it at today's dollars.

Basic economics of Supply/Demand will impact values. That being said, there are A LOT more jeeps on the road than Bronco's, so devaluation should impact jeep more than Bronco. Lastly, even ..............EVEN if the jeep went up in value........the biggest downside............it is still a JEEP. Yuck!

Tunagates

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

There actually is a ton of data that exists and Ford is using it to arrive at these residuals. These numbers will VERY LIKELY be highly accurate and were based on resales of literally millions of vehicles over the past years - mostly Ford trucks, I'd suspect. If these residual values are off significantly, there's a major issue on Ford's books as they would then be on the hook for a ton of cars with negative equity - as in lease walkaways. The residual values are almost certain to be spot on. There is too much downside risk for Ford if these are out of whack. How they relate to Jeeps is up for debate however...
The economics that would come into play are completely unknown at this point. As of right now, the supply/demand for broncos are 3 standard deviations from anything that current exists at Ford. Applying the same metrics as a ford edge or even an F150 are nonsensical, at best.

BESKAR4

Badlands
First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
'They' probably own a Jeep...or were an early reservation holder still waiting

Sponsored

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Exactly.

A new (or used) motor vehicle is simply a tool. A transportation tool. You ultimately buy it to move yourself about the country in private and convenient fashion. It is nothing different than buying a bed, a refrigerator, pots, pans, utensiles, or a TV.

To consider a vehicle as a "bad investment " because of "depreciation" is a pointless mental exercise.
Yeah, except I've never paid $50,000+ for a bed, a refrigerator, pots, pans, utensils, or a TV, and never paid MSRP. :)

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thousands of first time buyers of this type, expecting their $50,000 vehicles not to have wind noise, not to leak water, to drive like a sedan, who realize their wives need a step stool to get in and out, those who bought two doors expecting putting a baby in the back seat would be a minor inconvenience........as well as those that wanted hard tops and settled for soft tops. Yes, I can see the novelty wearing out quickly, for quite a few people.
I think you are correct. The 500+ day wait has built some unreasonable expectations, which will have to be reconciled to reality.

Fortunatly there will be buyers to help people out of these situations.

usarms

Big Bend
First Name
Rory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you're seriously worried don't buy it.

BroncoJLandCJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
83 CJ-7, 2020 JLU, Bronco res holder
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Time will tell. Capable off-road vehicles tend to keep value well. The FJ Cruiser was a great example.

I've decided on waiting this all out a bit and sticking with my Wrangler for 3 more years. Bought it new in 2020, and I'm banking on low depreciation. Hopefully my 2025 Bronco will keep its value, keeps wind and snow out, and have a compelling EV option.
Sponsored