Sponsored

Why are you choosing the Bronco over competitors like 4Runner and Wrangler?

CanadianHorseMan

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R || 2019 Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 4.0 likes to rev, at about 3,800 it takes off like a scalded dog, below that you have to give it throttle, I feel that a lot of issues with the 4Runners power could be corrected if they changed the throttle mapping. That’s not to say it’s fast, the 4.7L V8 from the last generation, despite having similar output numbers runs like a totally different beast, it feels amazing with only the slightest throttle inputs.

But of course the reason it is what it is, is for fuel economy numbers.
This is no doubt because they say it's easier to drive offroad with a peak HP being higher in the rev range? Well, I guess cause it has no low end torque. Same thing the Jeep guys say about the Pentastar. Oh it likes to rev, but it's designed that way cause that's how you want it offroad...but then the 3.0 diesel comes out which has 472 lb-ft torque at about 1500-2000 RPM and it's the best thing since sliced bread...cause you get all that power down low....so what is it guys? Power down low for offroading or you wanna rev the engine out? Haha, I'm not asking the question really, I know the answer.

R
Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is no doubt because they say it's easier to drive offroad with a peak HP being higher in the rev range? Well, I guess cause it has no low end torque. Same thing the Jeep guys say about the Pentastar. Oh it likes to rev, but it's designed that way cause that's how you want it offroad...but then the 3.0 diesel comes out which has 472 lb-ft torque at about 1500-2000 RPM and it's the best thing since sliced bread...cause you get all that power down low....so what is it guys? Power down low for offroading or you wanna rev the engine out? Haha, I'm not asking the question really, I know the answer.

R
There’s plenty of low end torque if you had read the entire post, the issue is the throttle modulation.

CanadianHorseMan

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Clearly none of you have ridden a Jeep from the 80s when leaf springs were used front and rear.

If you expect an off-road vehicle to ride like a minivan Ford, FCA, GM are perfectly happy to sell you multiple different minivan configurations:
So you agree...that an offroad vehicle MUST drive like shit to be good offroad? You don't feel there's any way to tune suspension to make a reasonable compromise for both? I think the Bronco will be far superior to the Jeep on-road and will be quite the beast offroad, so I'm not understanding what you're saying....

CanadianHorseMan

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There’s plenty of low end torque if you had read the entire post, the issue is the throttle modulation.
I wouldn't say "plenty" of low-end torque...it may have adequate torque. I have never driven a 4Runner, so I don't have first hand experience, just lookin at the specs. I just don't like the big, bloated look of the new 4Runner's (personal preference). Now the ones from the late 80s-through to the 90s. Loved, loved that design. Bring that back with a good motor, that's where it's at.

TRD Pro 4dr 4x4 2016 Toyota 4Runner Specs
Performance
Base engine typeV-6
Horsepower270 hp
Horsepower rpm5,600
Torque278 lb-ft.

Where that 278 lb-ft occurs, I dunno...does it happen at 3800rpm? If so it's probably very similar characteristics to the Pentastar V6, right? Which like mentioned is fine, cause well, that's the 4Runners only competition until now....

R

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
So you agree...that an offroad vehicle MUST drive like shit to be good offroad? You don't feel there's any way to tune suspension to make a reasonable compromise for both? I think the Bronco will be far superior to the Jeep on-road and will be quite the beast offroad, so I'm not understanding what you're saying....
Where did I agree? What are you CNN?

The fact is the Wrangler and Bronco have two totally different suspension designs even for the solid rear axle.
One is designed for more high speed dampening and one is designed for ultimate articulation.

A unimog rides like shy without air ride seats, I doubt anyone would question its off-road capability.

The fact is, if rock crawling and over landing are your main off-road goals then the Wrangler is the better option, if backroading and desert crossing are more your style then the Bronco wins.
Ones a spoon ones a fork, the correct utensil is highly dependent on need.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Over the Jeep JKUR:
Torque
Hopefully towing capacity
Nostalgia

Over the 4Runner:
Iconic, vs non-iconic vehicle
Off Road Capability
Torque
Nostalgia
Welp - looks like:
- Towing Capacity is the same
- Torque advantage is limited if 7MT

So .... other than my JKUR having 154000 miles on it, I guess the sell is nostalgia and newer more reliable vehicle.

The variables are changing ...

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Jeep a cult where no one can disagree; lol, totally incorrect. A person can be a fan of a vehicle and still criticize it. There are 94 pages on a JL forum about Jeep issues, repairs, etc., they don't seem to be too shy about noting problems.

CanadianHorseMan

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Jeep a cult where no one can disagree; lol, totally incorrect. A person can be a fan of a vehicle and still criticize it. There are 94 pages on a JL forum about Jeep issues, repairs, etc., they don't seem to be too shy about noting problems.
Ya I know. The actually people aren't bad, but the forums...jesh, once you disagree, there's a thousand more that pile on. I have a few Jeep friends, they're good, down to earth people lol

BeardVendetta

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion Tc, Honda CRV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I love the retro looks. Nice power on 2.7 v6 engine. I like the opportunity to choose what model and package is better for me. Have all I wanted in what would be my first 4x4. But overall that is designed and oriented to be a off-road already from the factory.

CanadianHorseMan

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where did I agree? What are you CNN?

The fact is the Wrangler and Bronco have two totally different suspension designs even for the solid rear axle.
One is designed for more high speed dampening and one is designed for ultimate articulation.

A unimog rides like shy without air ride seats, I doubt anyone would question its off-road capability.

The fact is, if rock crawling and over landing are your main off-road goals then the Wrangler is the better option, if backroading and desert crossing are more your style then the Bronco wins.
Ones a spoon ones a fork, the correct utensil is highly dependent on need.
Well, we've all only seen the promos, no real world testing or comparisons, so we're all drawing these conclusions on what we know about the Bronco and the "facts" we know about the Wrangler. To declare any one of them the off-road winner would be pre-mature. I'm sure the Jeep will win in come of the off-road categories (where articulation is the main factor) but I don't believe it will win by much. Based on specs the Bronco RTI is supposed to be approx 620 whereas the Rubicon is around 685? (this is surprisingly hard to find...maybe you know).

The solid axle vs IFS debate is another thing all together and you're right a lot of off-roader's swear by the solid axle, but a lot like IFS as well, so which would be better is subjective during the whole off-road experience. I think if the Bronco can keep up even 90% of the time but give a better ride during that 90% it's going to win over a lot of customers.

The original Hummer is IFS...it does pretty well off-road but it's a beast, wouldn't fit on many trails.

Anyway, I don't know which is better right now, but for me the Bronco is more appealing at the moment....why else would I be on Bronco6G in the first place?

I'm not here to praise Jeep, I want a Bronco!

R

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well, we've all only seen the promos, no real world testing or comparisons, so we're all drawing these conclusions on what we know about the Bronco and the "facts" we know about the Wrangler. To declare any one of them the off-road winner would be pre-mature. I'm sure the Jeep will win in come of the off-road categories (where articulation is the main factor) but I don't believe it will win by much. Based on specs the Bronco RTI is supposed to be approx 620 whereas the Rubicon is around 685? (this is surprisingly hard to find...maybe you know).

The solid axle vs IFS debate is another thing all together and you're right a lot of off-roader's swear by the solid axle, but a lot like IFS as well, so which would be better is subjective during the whole off-road experience. I think if the Bronco can keep up even 90% of the time but give a better ride during that 90% it's going to win over a lot of customers.

The original Hummer is IFS...it does pretty well off-road but it's a beast, wouldn't fit on many trails.

Anyway, I don't know which is better right now, but for me the Bronco is more appealing at the moment....why else would I be on Bronco6G in the first place?

I'm not here to praise Jeep, I want a Bronco!

R
I’ve never owned a Jeep and probably never will unless they offer a V8. However you can look at the suspension design of the Bronco and see what it was designed for, look at the angle of the spring, now compare to a Jeep. The goals are totally different. Neither is necessarily worse than the other, but each has their advantage.
Say what you will but solid front axle is inherently stronger than IFS. The ability to easily upgrade the size and strength is a huge advantage as well.

Humvee/H1 Independent is like nothing else on the road, not even similar, I can think ofno other passenger vehicle sold to civilians for road travel with geared hubs. That’s a huge advantage over every other independent design. And the Wrangler certainly rides a lot better than an Humvee ?

Sehrmude

First Edition
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Polaris Ranger Scout
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The 4-Runner was never an option because I want to take the roof off - and be able to put it back on. ;)

I drove a brand new JLU Saraha on the interstate and a rural highway for 4 hours and have never been so stressed out behind the wheel. In stock form, it wanders around the road and was legitimately scary when a 18-wheeler went by in the other direction on the rural hwy. After the lift and 35s, that JLU was freaking terrible on the road.

I choose the Bronco because I really love the style - reminiscent of the early 70s Broncos with tasteful modernization. The sasquatch suspension & wheels take that style to the perfect level for me. Until I sit in & drive one, all I have is speculation on everything else - it is the style alone that made me reserve the First Edition. I was either buying a 2021 or a 1970 - turns out the 2021 fully loaded and limited production is actually cheaper than a restomod 1970.

CanadianHorseMan

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve never owned a Jeep and probably never will unless they offer a V8. However you can look at the suspension design of the Bronco and see what it was designed for, look at the angle of the spring, now compare to a Jeep. The goals are totally different. Neither is necessarily worse than the other, but each has their advantage.
Say what you will but solid front axle is inherently stronger than IFS. The ability to easily upgrade the size and strength is a huge advantage as well.

Humvee/H1 Independent is like nothing else on the road, not even similar, I can think ofno other passenger vehicle sold to civilians for road travel with geared hubs. That’s a huge advantage over every other independent design. And the Wrangler certainly rides a lot better than an Humvee ?
Lol, +1 for Jeep I guess. Ya, I know can't compare Humvee to road cars, but it's like the King of IFS. Strength wise, yes, solid axle is stronger but the Jeep guys do report their U-joints snapping just as any CV joint would snap. Now the Rubicon this year will also have CV joints if you opt for full time 4WD. So they'll be the same in this respect.

Also, if you want to have larger tires than the 35's offered on the Bronco, I'm not sure there will be enough clearance for say 37's, but I'm not sure. The Jeep on the other hand, due to solid front axle would allow any size tire with lift kits and speedo re-calibration and no doubt gear changes (but I don't know much about that).

I for one would be completely fine with 33's on my Bronco, but do love the look of the Sasquatch package. I would never need it imo, but we'll see how much it costs.

Dlerojo

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I predict there are going to be a lot of used Broncos on the market in 2022. So many people have unrealistic expectations. Its gonna be better offroad than a Wrangler, smoother than a land cruiser on airbags, more tech than a Tesla, and it comes with factory 35s and lockers for city potholes, and everyone knows you can't go camping without at least 35s.

Honestly the Bronco is just an alternative to the Wrangler. If a Wrangler wouldn't fit your lifestyle before the Bronco probably won't either. It might have slightly better on road manners than a Wrangler due to IFS but its still not gonna be good.

I considered a toyota but they've been asleep riding on their past reputation of reliability. Jeep's poor build quality has kept me away. Ford kinda hit the middle ground here. Ford has decent reliability, and what you get for the price seems to be beating the competition at the current moment.

CanadianHorseMan

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I predict there are going to be a lot of used Broncos on the market in 2022. So many people have unrealistic expectations. Its gonna be better offroad than a Wrangler, smoother than a land cruiser on airbags, more tech than a Tesla, and it comes with factory 35s and lockers for city potholes, and everyone knows you can't go camping without at least 35s.

Honestly the Bronco is just an alternative to the Wrangler. If a Wrangler wouldn't fit your lifestyle before the Bronco probably won't either. It might have slightly better on road manners than a Wrangler due to IFS but its still not gonna be good.

I considered a toyota but they've been asleep riding on their past reputation of reliability. Jeep's poor build quality has kept me away. Ford kinda hit the middle ground here. Ford has decent reliability, and what you get for the price seems to be beating the competition at the current moment.
There may be some in the used market for people who don't understand what they're buying. But I believe most who are even looking at this will know what they're getting into. For those that just want an off-road capable/on-road Bronco, I'm sure they'll most likely go for the Bronco Sport. It's pretty good looking in it's own right.

I doubt people buying a Bronco with the Sasquatch package are expecting Porsche Macan style handling...that's just silly.

Its gonna be better offroad than a Wrangler, smoother than a land cruiser on airbags, more tech than a Tesla.
Are you being facetious? I'm not sure where you read this. Everyone is saying it's an off-road "contender", whether it's better is yet to be determined. More tech than Tesla? Not sure man....
Sponsored