Sponsored

Why are you choosing the Bronco over competitors like 4Runner and Wrangler?

Maxmillian1

Badlands
First Name
Roscoe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have wanted a Jeep for years and years, but I could not get past the MPG and the fact that it hasn't improved over the 10 to 15 years I've wanted one. I may be in the minority but I think the Jeep Wrangler is a good $10,000 over priced for the features, MPG and day to day usage. I am the proud owner of a 2002 4Runner that has given me no major issues. I would have replaced it years ago but what Toyota has offered as new 4Runners have lacked anything new as far as creature comforts, engine, drivetrain or fuel consumption. so I could not see paying $600 or more a month for what I'm already getting in my 2002? I was looking for Ford to Undercut that Jeep price and deliver better MPG and comfort. but I am really looking forward to Ford delivering a breath of fresh air into the Convertible SUV market and I think I'm going to enjoy The Bronco.
Sponsored

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have wanted a 4Runner TRD Off Road for a good year and a half hardcore. Then I drove a couple. They have crap low end power and they’re slow and feel like they are from 1995.
Take that back.... they are from like 2004? I just got back from off roading through Michigan in my TRD 4Runner and I agree it is boring on the road to drive but I honestly never feel like it is slow as everyone makes it seem considering it’s an SUV. Compared to my 09 F150 it is faster and I have a custom tune for my F150. I did beat some Jeeps in a sand drag race at Silver Lake if that says anything? I did like knowing that there will be no death wobble or broken down engine on my long drives so I’ll take reliability from an outdated engine and trans that gets horrible gas mileage vs something new and fancy any day. But that’s because I use vehicles for what they are intended and not a garage queen and need reliability for when I’m out in the middle of nowhere going off the beaten path. With that said I think the bronco checks every box and will be reliable. I’ll still keep my 4R for a few years and then maybe add a 4 door at that time to go with my 2 door?

thsxtreme

Outer Banks
First Name
tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Unlimited Sahara Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I currently own A Jeep and this is my second one I have owned. I was actually in the market to purchase another one until I saw the bronco. I love the jeeps but was ready for something different but kinda the same and there was nothing out there Until now lol

Aardvark53

Base
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's kind of clear. The 4Runner (my opinion) is a great SUV/off road vehicle. Nice power/torque to the wheels. Roomy inside. Yet, the 4Runner is over rated and out dated. The price of the Hulk is constantly going up for one reason, it still has to be imported. Jeep ( my opinion) is the grandfather of all off road vehicles. Has a long history for its off road abilities a military legacy, however, it remains boxy and just like the 4Runner needs to be brought up to date on somethings. I know I'm about to get blasted for this post and I've got my tissue ready.

Aardvark53

Base
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's kind of clear. The 4Runner (my opinion) is a great SUV/off road vehicle. Nice power/torque to the wheels. Roomy inside. Yet, the 4Runner is over rated and out dated. The price of the Hulk is constantly going up for one reason, it still has to be imported. Jeep ( my opinion) is the grandfather of all off road vehicles. Has a long history for its off road abilities a military legacy, however, it remains boxy and just like the 4Runner needs to be brought up to date on somethings. I know I'm about to get blasted for this post and I've got my tissue ready.

Going with the Broncos because, it's up to date, fresh and price just for me better than old death dabble.

Sponsored

Maxmillian1

Badlands
First Name
Roscoe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You are so right on all point's and as a long time 4Runner driver (2002 Sport Ed.) the gas mileage had been the same from my model to the 2020 4Runner and that is shameful. So i'm going to try the Bronco is FORD doesn't screw this up like it's staring to feel like they are trying to.... SMH

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m choosing it over the 4Runner largely due to the open top and ability to remove doors. This is our fun vehicle for beach driving. I test drove the 4Runner and it felt underpowered and boring. I realize it is dependable but that is all it has going for it. Plus the seating position is high with a low ceiling making it feel cramped. I test drove a Wrangler as well. Bronco is to me an improvement on the Wrangler (for my purposes) since it should have better road manners plus a modular top option. Plus I question reliability of the Jeep. Honestly though if the Bronco disappoints I’m most likely getting a Wrangler.

Aardvark53

Base
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well, believe it or not before the pandemic around January. I was going to the local Toyota dealer to pick out a 4Runner offroad. That's when I found out about the Bronco making come back. I've always wanted a 4Runner, they just have been a little out of my budget.

Andy6GRealG

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Complete open air experience over Jeep who hasn’t changed it’s ways for a long time. There is no fault in the if isn’t broken don’t fix it ideal but the Jeep needs a refresh and should go way back to its roots. I look at jeeps now and think wow I miss the CJ7’s and the KJ trucks from the 70’s and 80’s that has the cool radiator grill with the step side truck bed. Bronco looks like an old school bronco with modern amenities. They are a cross between a scout and old bronco which is awesome to me. Almost bought a 4Runner the other day because of ford leaderships horrible values with their x-plan money grab but said hey take a step back and breath, the bronco is so much better even if the company leaders suck it. Obviously they don’t care about character but the engineers really worked hard on a winner so sticking through til the end.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why I'm choosing a Bronco over the competition:

1. I'm a Ford guy. I've owned two Broncos, both were beloved vehicles. I've owned several Ford cars and trucks over the years, of all the brands I've owned, I've had the least amount of trouble out of my Fords.

2. I have owned Toyotas in the past, my wife's previous car, and my '92 4Runner. Both of those vehicles were absolute garbage. I spent more on keeping my wife's vehicle on the road than it actually cost to buy it. And my 4Runner would buckle at the sight of an 18 degree incline. It didn't perform well and broke often.

I literally chopped my 4Runner into parts and sold it to the salvage yard after the 2nd engine and third axle break. Will never own Toyota again.

3. Lastly, the Jeep. Those jack-asses think they invented the driver way. Screw 'em.

mikeheel

Wildtrak
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lovelikehateblog.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Azure Gray Wildtrak, BWM K1600B, Ford Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Every couple of years my wife and I take a nice vacation without the kids (relax, we take the kids on nice trips; the "us only" trips are tied to work conferences, so it's just us). We've noticed the past few years that one thing we enjoy on these trips is driving around beautiful scenery in a convertible. However, I do not want a convertible car.

I had started eying the Wrangler, but there are a number of things I don't like. And I didn't particularly enjoy driving one when I tested it 3 years ago. I bought a Subaru instead.

I've had a 4Runner before, and I loved it. However, the 4Runner is still pretty basic and just doesn't have the open roof option I've been wanting.

When I saw the first rumors of a new Bronco, I wanted to see if the top could come off. When I saw the first images and got confirmation you could drive it without a top, I was in.

I love the look. I love the utility. I love the convertible type roof.

If the Jeep drove better, I'd have already had one.

If the 4Runner had an open roof option, I'd already have another one.

But the Bronco seems to hit the perfect sweet spot for me. At least, that's my hope. As long as it rides and drives better than the Jeep on road (and I have a hard time believing it won't), I'll be very pleased.

tn3sport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 4x4, BMW, Mustang, several adventure bikes
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What appeals you to the 2021 Ford Bronco over other competitors such as the Toyota 4runner and Jeep Wrangler? Explain.
I'm literally watching my neighbor (45ish mother of two) holding a Starbucks and loading the kids up for Satuday socker (SI).... in her 4runner. Fully loaded and capable truck that will never leave the pavement,never get dirty, but instead carry home and endless supply of self-esteem trophies for the little ones...

Yeah, I'm choosing the Bronco. First trip will be to Badlands NP. Maybe I'll get a chance to meet their awesome governor in SD.

MLRey

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 18 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have several requirements and the Bronco and Wrangler are on the top of the list but also the most expensive. I'd like something with good off road capability for fishing and getting to mountain bike trailheads, no rock or hardcore off roading. Full time automatic 4 wheel drive for winter and able to be flat towed behind motorhome are also key requirements. I like the look of the Bronco a bit better than the Wrangler and the road manners should be better with the IFS. Toyota's are not flat towable so they're out. Also considering Ford Escape Hybrid and Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. The Cherokees are nice but an expensive Fiat that loses value rapidly. The new Escape Hybrid is nice and would probably work for most of what I want if I'm careful where I try and take it. The hybrid version of the Escape is the only one flat towable and if gas prices head up the hybrid would be good. Also 20K+ cheaper than Bronco. I don't need anything for at least a year so I'll use my second reservation to get a 2022 model. If circumstances change I can always cancel the order or not take delivery (depending on deposit).

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's a Ford.

Style, features, comfort, etc.
This! And brand loyalty. My father worked for Ford and was very big on made in the USA. I like Jeeps but have never owned one but will own a Bronco
Sponsored