Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
I've seen a number of posts about buying a Bronco and then trading it in for a 2022 or 2023, usually implying they'll trade it when the bugs are worked out, or when the options are available they want, or the V8 is offered or something.

I'm just wondering why someone would go through the reservation, order conversion, process only to buy something else a couple or few years later. Why buy a Bronco at all, not that you wouldn't, but why? What is the motivation, why do you "want" one?

I "want" one because it has a manual transmission, granny-low, two-speed transfer case and very low differential gearing with lockers front and rear. There is no other (new) vehicle like it that I'm aware of in the US. I plan to keep it 30+ years. I see it as a niche vehicle that will disappoint a lot of folks that don't want at least some of those same things, kind of like a Jeep Wrangler, but a Ford.
Sponsored

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well my biggest reason for getting one is that it's not a Wrangler! :ROFLMAO:

Don't get me wrong, I love my Jeep (2010 JKU), but there are so many tiny issues with it and I am sick of fixing them all the time. With the Bronco, I think I will be happier dealing with its inevitable first model year issues than issues that should have been resolved years ago on my ten year old Jeep.

It also helps that I have always been a Ford fan and this is the one and only vehicle that has the chance to get me out of a Jeep for good. I was about ready to pull the trigger on a new JL Rubicon when photos were first released. I changed my mind fast.

The way I see it, this is a great time to give the Bronco a try. They are in such high demand, that if you get one early and hate it, you can probably flip it for close to what you paid and buy something else. That's my plan, but I doubt I will hate this.

OP
OP

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
I want one now.
I get that. Most people that have a reservation do. My question isn't whether you want one, but why now, why a 2021?

Sponsored

xXChartmanXx

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've seen a number of posts about buying a Bronco and then trading it in for a 2022 or 2023, usually implying they'll trade it when the bugs are worked out, or when the options are available they want, or the V8 is offered or something.

I'm just wondering why someone would go through the reservation, order conversion, process only to buy something else a couple or few years later. Why buy a Bronco at all, not that you wouldn't, but why? What is the motivation, why do you "want" one?

I "want" one because it has a manual transmission, granny-low, two-speed transfer case and very low differential gearing with lockers front and rear. There is no other (new) vehicle like it that I'm aware of in the US. I plan to keep it 30+ years. I see it as a niche vehicle that will disappoint a lot of folks that don't want at least some of those same things, kind of like a Jeep Wrangler, but a Ford.
Most important piece of your post is "I see it as"... Everyone see's it differently, will use it differently, will enjoy it differently. Is that wrong? Some will use it as a weekend toy, some will use it as a daily driver, others will use it for work, and still others will put a 12" inch lift, 24's, and paint it metallic fluorescent green. I support all those uses an more. If it makes you happy, then cool with me. There will be some people who will buy it and be unhappy with what it is but that goes for almost anything (Thus the term buyer's remorse) but I expect that to be a small percentage and i'm sure some will trade it in after 2 years and grab something else, even a Warthog. You do you, we'll do us, and let's all be happy doing it in a Bronco.

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Why does everyone else need to see things as you see them?

Why does one person want to lease their Bronco, while another wants to finance it over 84 months?

Why is one person willing to drive over a 1,000 miles to Iowa to get $1,000 off of dealer invoice, and another person is willing to pay MSRP + $500 dealer fee to get it down the street?

Why is one person want to figure out how to lift their Bronco and put 37" tires on it, and will never leave the pavement, while another will stick to a non-squatched base and it will never see the pavement?

So many questions...

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
I get that. Most people that have a reservation do. My question isn't whether you want one, but why now, why a 2021?
Try the price of a 64 1/2 Mustang vs a 65 or 66. Add in that they were not 100% factory ordered...

OP
OP

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Most important piece of your post is "I see it as"... Everyone see's it differently, will use it differently, will enjoy it differently. Is that wrong? Some will use it as a weekend toy, some will use it as a daily driver, others will use it for work, and still others will put a 12" inch lift, 24's, and paint it metallic fluorescent green. I support all those uses an more. If it makes you happy, then cool with me. There will be some people who will buy it and be unhappy with what it is but that goes for almost anything (Thus the term buyer's remorse) but I expect that to be a small percentage and i'm sure some will trade it in after 2 years and grab something else, even a Warthog. You do you, we'll do us, and let's all be happy doing it in a Bronco.
Of course everyone sees it different. That's the basis for my question. My question isn't about what's right or wrong, or whether you want something that is different than what I want. My question is why. I'm trying to figure out why people are doing what they are doing. There must be a reason people want something, not good or bad. So, why do you want a 2021 Bronco that you are likely to trade or sell within a couple or few years.

I'm just asking what is the motivation for your choice. It's not a weighted question, but a neutral question.

Sponsored

WCP-82

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Because I am going through the reservation, order conversion process I am mentally invested in this like nothing I have ever wanted. I don't care if the 2022 or 2023 models offer more. It will be my 2021 that I am damn close to obsessing over for almost 5 months.

OP
OP

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why does everyone else need to see things as you see them?
They don't, that's why I'm asking the question.

Why does one person want to lease their Bronco, while another wants to finance it over 84 months?

Why is one person willing to drive over a 1,000 miles to Iowa to get $1,000 off of dealer invoice, and another person is willing to pay MSRP + $500 dealer fee to get it down the street?

Why is one person want to figure out how to lift their Bronco and put 37" tires on it, and will never leave the pavement, while another will stick to a non-squatched base and it will never see the pavement?

So many questions...
Yes, many questions and many other threads. My question is why someone wants a 2021 that won't keep it.

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think you overestimate the number of people that fit into the category that you have described in your OP.

Your best bet to get an answer is to go those posts that you have seen, quote them and ask those posters directly.

WCP-82

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Because I am going through the reservation, order conversion process I am mentally invested in this like nothing I have ever wanted. I don't care if the 2022 or 2023 models offer more. It will be my 2021 that I am damn close to obsessing over for almost 5 months.
To clarify for OP, I think more than a few of us are invested in this Bronco mentally to a point where backing out isn't an option at this point. If we feel we may like the options on a later model than we have that option. I am hoping I like mine so much my son will get it when I die.
Sponsored