Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, 2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was honestly agonizing over over manual strictly because I wanted the V6. I test drove a Badlands 4d with the 2.3 and it was great, so when my dealer called for my 2022 order update I went ahead and made the switch to the manual because honestly the 2.3 will be plenty for the 2d.
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Cost
Simpler
Weight
More Power than any previous Bronco

Heart2

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have the 2.3L/10A in my Ranger and really like it. No issues (17,000 miles over 18 months) and my lifetime average mpg is 23.2, which has dropped a little with warm-ups and cool-downs. Also, I just did not want to spend the extra money for the V6.

SamuraiWillX

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Heritage 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Didn't feel the need for the V6 and I have never found myself unable to merge or pass effectively with the 2.3 in my one month of ownership.

illverado

Base
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
700whp stick shift 2000 silverado 2011 caprice ppv
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

1. The 2.7 has a belt driven oil pump that lives its life soaked in oil, a well known point of catastrophic failure on all the economy cars that got this design a few years earlier
2. The 2.3 is one of the few engines that has a regular gear driven oil pump so good there. (Even the 21+ 5.0s have the belt!)
3. MANUAL TRANSMISSION
4. Easier to work on and less of it to work on.
5. 2.3 has more potential for big power not that it matters but at least if it lets go after warranty I don’t have to put stock junk back in it
6. 10r60 is a terrible transmission especially with the stock tune

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would only consider a 2.3 if I had a two door AND wasn't getting large tires AND I really want to that manual.

But four doors, larger tires = 2.7

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The 2.3 is a solid motor that will suit my needs. If needed, the 2.3 can easily be tuned. But one of the key reasons for me was weight. I'm also a 2-dr buyer so I'm not lugging around the additional chassis weight. The Bronco is a heavy vehicle by design.
You will not be unhappy. I know you drove one a couple of days, not sure which flavor, but the 2.3 goes when you get into it. As for daily driving, it is perfectly matched with the AT. It smoothly shifts about 5 times before you hit 40 mph. Very efficient combination.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You will not be unhappy. I know you drove one a couple of days, not sure which flavor, but the 2.3 goes when you get into it. As for daily driving, it is perfectly matched with the AT. It smoothly shifts about 5 times before you hit 40 mph. Very efficient combination.
The test drive was a 2.7L Moar Door BB upfitted with the 4WP Stage 1 lift/wheels/tires. The only time I considered the 2.7 was last fall when "it was included in the 10spAuto and was a heck of a deal". 😜

We see the discussion repeated often how people can't option an accessory due to the GVWR. The Bronco is a heavy vehicle purpose built. But every chance to shed some weight without sacrificing performance, I'll gladly choose. The 2.3 has been powering the Ranger without problem. It will have no problem with the Bronco especially the 2-dr on the lighter chassis.

bniknar

Big Bend
First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An old EcoDriver
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I got the 2.3L because of the manual transmission - and I went for a 2-door Big Bend, non-sas. It's a ton of fun to drive, with plenty of power. Every time I'm behind the wheel I feel like a kid again.

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I got the 2.3L because of the manual transmission - and I went for a 2-door Big Bend, non-sas. It's a ton of fun to drive, with plenty of power. Every time I'm behind the wheel I feel like a kid again.
Agreed, 2.3 + manual transmission + sport mode = smiles for days every time boost kicks in.

4X4XFAR

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, GT500
Your Bronco Model
Base
I changed my order for 2022 to the 2.3 after hearing about the early 2.7 reliability issues.
Sponsored