Sponsored

Why didn't Ford give the 2 Door and 4 Door Bronco the same wheelbase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

R.A.N.M.J.

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, I've been in and out of quite a few Broncos over the last few months and one thing I keep thinking whenever I see the 4 Door model: Why didn't Ford just both configurations on the same wheelbase?

Purely speculation on my part, but I think the designers got so dug in with the whole "Wrangler Killer" mentality that they missed the obvious engineering advantages.

The 4 Door Bronco isn't much bigger than the Bronco overall and really isn't that big in a grander scheme when compared to other brands in similar markets.

Ford could have extended the cargo space on the Bronco and just retooled the body panels to accommodate both configurations. This would have also made it far easier to convert the Bronco into a truck with a bed and no back seats or into a hybrid down the line with the extra space afforded the undercarriage.

Not to mention roofs would be a simple issue. One size fits all, sorta thing.

I guess they needed something a bit smaller and nimble looking to compete directly the Wrangler market. Still, I can't help but wonder...

In all fairness, having driven both, I prefer the off-road driving capabilities of the 4 Door configuration but the styling of shorter wheelbase Bronco appeals to me far more.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like the subtle jab.

They probably had a wheelbase target in mind and built to that. Works for me, I wouldn't want a 2dr as long as the 4dr. Now if it was flipped the other way, the 4dr on the 2dr frame, I'd be a lot more accepting of the 4dr. It wouldn't be nearly so ugly. Shared wheelbases worked for the XJ Cherokee.

OP
OP
R.A.N.M.J.

R.A.N.M.J.

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They need the shorter wheelbase to generated the break over angle that beats the Wrangler.
Yeah, that's kinda what I was getting at. But, at what cost? Yanno...

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
They need the shorter wheelbase to generate the break over angle that beats the Wrangler. Marketing decision is my opinion.
The entire existence of the Bronco is a marketing decision. Breakover angle has real world offroad benefits, as does a shorter wheelbase overall. So breakover performance is as much a "marketing" decision as was 35" tires or a good stereo or cool LED headlights or anything else that would make someone want to buy a Bronco.

Per the bajillion 4 door vs. 2 door threads here, some people reeeally like the proportions of the 2 door, and those proportions would be different on a different wheelbase.

What OP is asking for is more like the LJ Wrangler - a stretched 2 door body on a 4 door frame.
Ford Bronco Why didn't Ford give the 2 Door and 4 Door Bronco the same wheelbase? 1630425467458

People don't want the two door because it only has two doors, people want the two door because they like the size and shape and look and function.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This thread doesn't make a lot of sense. It is like the OP thinks the 2 door was an afterthought or was developed after the 4 door. The 2 door is based on the early Bronco. It matches up within inches of the original. The 4 door was developed to provide 4 doors. The two using the same wheelbase doesn't make any sense.

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2 door is based on the early Bronco. It matches up within inches of the original.
What?

The 2021 with 2 doors is much bigger in all dimensions compared to an EB. Just in length it's over 20 inches longer.

OP
OP
R.A.N.M.J.

R.A.N.M.J.

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Bronco is an acceptable size. The 2 door Bronco is tiny, they should of built it on the Bronco frame.
Internally the 2 Door configuration is referred to simply as "Bronco", the 4 door configuration is referred to as the "4 Door Bronco". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I stand corrected! And correct I stand!

Projecting much? It's not arbitrary, it's a simple observation I made. I wanted to talk about it. I could give two shits about what other people choose for themselves.

It would have just made more sense to me from a manufacturing standpoint for them to roll out both configurations on the same wheelbase.

Last edited:

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The existence of the 2 door is the only reason the 6G Bronco can retain the retro Bronco credibility. I don't dislike the 4 door, but without the 2 doors running around, the Bronco brand would not have the emotional attachment as it does now. In my opinion, it works in the 4 door favor if they cant live with a 2 door daily.

Sponsored

Moabbob

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 4 door has a wheelbase that’s 4 inches longer than my 200 series Land Cruiser. The issue is break over when off road.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Meh. Instead of neutering the Bronco's capabilities by throwing it on the 4-Door Bronco frame we could have just not had the 4-Door altogether IMO. That's a much more controversial opinion 😬

That would have been my preferred method of production streamlining.

Vantcrst

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Ford F-150, Mercedes 4x4 Sprinter Van,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can see from the responses to your post what the answer is. The shorter wheel base 2dr and longer wheelbase 4dr appeal to two different customer bases. Like most, I think the 2dr looks way cooler but in order to justify buying one I need the practicality of the 4door. I don’t think there would have been a “Goldilocks” wheelbase length that could have satisfied both groups. Would have been great from Ford’s perspective but in the end I think they will seek more vehicles giving folks the option.

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
approach/departure/breakover angles would have been horrible.... No way the same wheelbase would work.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.