Sponsored

Why didn't Ford give the 2 Door and 4 Door Bronco the same wheelbase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The entire existence of the Bronco is a marketing decision. Breakover angle has real world offroad benefits, as does a shorter wheelbase overall. So breakover performance is as much a "marketing" decision as was 35" tires or a good stereo or cool LED headlights or anything else that would make someone want to buy a Bronco.

Per the bajillion 4 door vs. 2 door threads here, some people reeeally like the proportions of the 2 door, and those proportions would be different on a different wheelbase.

What OP is asking for is more like the LJ Wrangler - a stretched 2 door body on a 4 door frame.
1630425467458.png

People don't want the two door because it only has two doors, people want the two door because they like the size and shape and look and function.
I had a LJ (sold too soon in anticipation of my Dirt Mountain Bronco) that was the ideal size (104" WB). Your photo shows some interesting things: No way could you fit 4 doors on that, but somehow Jeep did it with the XJ Cherokees which defied mathematics and did it on a 101" wheelbase. Also a fault of modern design, drive train is low to keep the CG low. LJ Jeeps are pretty helpless without some lift and bigger tire. That hangy down transfer case was ridiculous.

I think Ford has done well with the Bronco design. EB's were 92" WB, BII's were 94" and FSB's were 104, so the 100 2 door is a sweet spot. 116 makes sense for a 4 door, gives room for people and gear and in some situations can be better off road. Ford also does a good job tucking drivetrain up into the frame, but the hangy down fuel tank and rear suspension are disconcerting. And a little more rear overhang would be nice for gear storage, but they would lose the departure angle battle to Jeep.

Although the XJ 2/4 door was design genius the 2 door really had no advantage in maneuverability and the 4 door had no advantage in interior room. And a common wheelbase in the Bronco would really make no practical sense either.
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Per the bajillion 4 door vs. 2 door threads here, some people reeeally like the proportions of the 2 door, and those proportions would be different on a different wheelbase.

What OP is asking for is more like the LJ Wrangler - a stretched 2 door body on a 4 door frame.
1630425467458.png

People don't want the two door because it only has two doors, people want the two door because they like the size and shape and look and function.
Nailed it. I love the 2dr not for the number of doors but because the proportions are correct. That LJ proves what happens when you deviate from the proper proportions. It might be more practical but it looks worse.

OP
OP
R.A.N.M.J.

R.A.N.M.J.

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 4 door has a wheelbase thatā€™s 4 inches longer than my 200 series Land Cruiser. The issue is break over when off road.
I didn't really have to many problems with the break over and departure in the 4 door configuration when I was at the Off-Roadeo but I did bottom out a lot when not in the four door. I didn't get a chance to drive on 35's off road, but my buddy ahead of me did. Far fewer scraps.

We ended repeating some courses due to weather and the 4 Door really outshine on the 33's.

Sponsored

zzcoop

Black Diamond
First Name
A-A-Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.postrockimages.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For the same reason that you don't put 3x5 and 8x10 photos in the same picture frame. Because it's stupid.

4avor8ntfair

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL-non SAS, 2.3 auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I kinda agree that, purely from a mfg standpoint, a shared wheelbase would be more efficient. But isnā€™t that part of the problem with why so many 80ā€™s/90ā€™s/00ā€™s cars sucked? Ford/Lincoln and Chevy/Pontiac/GM shared so many shared features that none of the them were good?
Thereā€™s a 4-door with a longer wheelbase because 4-door wouldnā€™t work on the existing 2-door wheelbase. Most people want a SUV because itā€™s more practical/capable, but the 2-door isnā€™t practical for like 60% of people who ordered. I like the 2-door better, but it wouldnā€™t be practical with 2kids and dogs and gear, so I wouldnā€™t buy oneā€¦and Thatā€™s obviously also the reason for the 4-doorā€¦sales $$$.

OP
OP
R.A.N.M.J.

R.A.N.M.J.

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nope. Internally they are the 3 door and 5 door.
You are correct, sir. I stand corrected.

Now, back on topic.

I expect Iā€™m not the only one who prefers the 2 door shortie to the 4 door.
I like the design of the original configuration, and would really like to see it extended a little. But I guess it's all subjective. And people are apparently really touchy about it.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.