Sponsored

Why do I think the Bronco 2.7 is "de-tuned" in the Bronco?

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My experience with the 2.7 and it's performance across other models tells me our Bronco's are intentionally tuned to be "soft" in 1st gear (maybe 1-3?). That Explorer has to be tuned, but the 2.7 is a beast (I believe the Explorer ST use the "R60 transmission, regardless of trim).

Sponsored

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Never done this myself, but I would be a little embarrassed by that start

OP
OP
Mattwings

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Never done this myself, but I would be a little embarrassed by that start
It's amazingly nerve wracking, but I think his traction control may have been pushing him at the line.

Jnic815

Outer Banks
First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 F150, 00 WS6, 95 OBS Dually, 87 PETE 379
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If they cheaped out on the transmission like people were saying, it may be detuned to protect the transmission.
It’s also a big heavy brick, so…

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Well the explorer ST has the 3.0 ecoboost not the 2.7. Also has 70 more HP and the whole point of the ST is to be a street oriented performance trim. So everything about the Explorer ST from the engine, programing, shift logic, suspension is geared towards on street driving performance. It's really apples and oranges.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mattwings

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If they cheaped out on the transmission like people were saying, it may be detuned to protect the transmission.
It’s also a big heavy brick, so…
The transmission in the Explorer and Bronco are the same, so I don't think it's a "cheap out" issue. My guess, it's a drivability and durability issue for the other components (transmission included). The Bronco (My 4dr Badlands) does look to weigh about 400 lbs. more. There is also obviously a big difference in tire sizes and weight. Hopefully the tuners will uncover what the programming looks like and can "tune in" different parameters for those who want a harder launch off the line.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When i hit play, it goes directly to an F150 running 15.5 @ 91. The Car and Driver testing just showed the 2 door first edition running a 15.0 @ 91. So not sure how that proves your point. If it's about the explorer ST, same transmission but different engine. Maybe I'm missing something.

OP
OP
Mattwings

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When i hit play, it goes directly to an F150 running 15.5 @ 91. The Car and Driver testing just showed the 2 door first edition running a 15.0 @ 91. So not sure how that proves your point. If it's about the explorer ST, same transmission but different engine. Maybe I'm missing something.
My point is that the R60 transmission is running some good times and handling a lot of horsepower (stock Explorer ST is no slouch). I am not sure if you have your Bronco yet, but mine literally feels like it has a massive limiter through most of 1st gear. I don't know if it matters to me, as the drivability and acceleration in any normal driving situation has been excellent. Honestly, I just don't want to loose to a Jeep unless it's a Hemi or V8 swap, so I may end up talking to Livernois or Roush :sneaky:

Jnic815

Outer Banks
First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 F150, 00 WS6, 95 OBS Dually, 87 PETE 379
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The transmission in the Explorer and Bronco are the same, so I don't think it's a "cheap out" issue. My guess, it's a drivability and durability issue for the other components (transmission included). The Bronco (My 4dr Badlands) does look to weigh about 400 lbs. more. There is also obviously a big difference in tire sizes and weight. Hopefully the tuners will uncover what the programming looks like and can "tune in" different parameters for those who want a harder launch off the line.
All fair points. I guess when I said cheap out, I meant that I expected a 10R80 when I checked the 10 speed option box.

I wonder how long it will take the aftermarket to crack the bronco ecu. I don’t think the C8 factory ecu has been cracked yet.

OP
OP
Mattwings

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All fair points. I guess when I said cheap out, I meant that I expected a 10R80 when I checked the 10 speed option box.

I wonder how long it will take the aftermarket to crack the bronco ecu. I don’t think the C8 factory ecu has been cracked yet.
Good part about the Bronco, a bunch of the development took place right across the street from Roush. Maybe they swapped some intel ;) It's not life or death and I will wait with interest on reports regarding the Ford tune too.

Sponsored

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My point is that the R60 transmission is running some good times and handling a lot of horsepower (stock Explorer ST is no slouch). I am not sure if you have your Bronco yet, but mine literally feels like it has a massive limiter through most of 1st gear. I don't know if it matters to me, as the drivability and acceleration in any normal driving situation has been excellent. Honestly, I just don't want to loose to a Jeep unless it's a Hemi or V8 swap, so I may end up talking to Livernois or Roush :sneaky:
No, but I’m test driving a wildtrak tomorrow. I guess I will find out. I have to say I was pissed when I found out about the 10R60 but not much I can do about it besides hope for improvements in MY22 assuming I don’t get a VIN this year.

OP
OP
Mattwings

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, but I’m test driving a wildtrak tomorrow. I guess I will find out. I have to say I was pissed when I found out about the 10R60 but not much I can do about it besides hope for improvements in MY22 assuming I don’t get a VIN this year.
I can say with confidence the R60 is a better feeling transmission. No clue on longevity, but it shifts more smoothly, doesn't hunt as much and other than off the line launch, feels better by every measure (not sure if that is throttle by wire or transmission tuning). Driving back to back in my sons Ranger this week it was very noticeable.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can say with confidence the R60 is a better feeling transmission. No clue on longevity, but it shifts more smoothly, doesn't hunt as much and other than off the line launch, feels better by every measure (not sure if that is throttle by wire or transmission tuning). Driving back to back in my sons Ranger this week it was very noticeable.
I remember @flip mentioning he thought they used the 60 over the 80 because it’s a much newer trans and more refined. I think the new ranger is expected to make the switch too as the only reason the used the 80 is because that was the only option they had available at the time.

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s called torque management. Almost every auto maker has torque management in the first 1-3 gears to prevent excess wear on the driveline. A good tune will eliminate most of this. Also a pedal booster will do wonders for throttle feel and day-to-day driveability

OP
OP
Mattwings

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s called torque management. Almost every auto maker has torque management in the first 1-3 gears to prevent excess wear on the driveline. A good tune will eliminate most of this. Also a pedal booster will do wonders for throttle feel and day-to-day driveability
It's just way more pronounced on my Bronco than my 2.7 F150s. I never considered a tune on either of them. I may be slightly more focused on the Bronco though? ;)
Sponsored