Sponsored

Why do I think the Bronco 2.7 is "de-tuned" in the Bronco?

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's just way more pronounced on my Bronco than my 2.7 F150s. I never considered a tune on either of them. I may be slightly more focused on the Bronco though? ;)
If you don’t want to spend the $ on a tune run 93 octane and get a good pedal booster like the Banks Pedal Monster when they’re available.
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
anyway, that explorer is definitely tuned, explorers dont run 11's lol. but yeah, the 2.7L is a beast
Well, that wasn't an 11 second pass... It was a 13 second pass @ 101 MPH trap speed, which is respectable. The bottom line is that either the motor is detuned, or the converter is locking up too early, or both.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
All fair points. I guess when I said cheap out, I meant that I expected a 10R80 when I checked the 10 speed option box.

I wonder how long it will take the aftermarket to crack the bronco ecu. I don’t think the C8 factory ecu has been cracked yet.
Just remember, raybestos is already putting out severe duty clutch packs and steels for the 10R60, so this isn't really an issue, but there is a way to protect the transmission without resorting to new internal parts... Add a huge ass transmission cooler.... Because heat is what kills automatic transmissions.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My experience with the 2.7 and it's performance across other models tells me our Bronco's are intentionally tuned to be "soft" in 1st gear (maybe 1-3?). That Explorer has to be tuned, but the 2.7 is a beast (I believe the Explorer ST use the "R60 transmission, regardless of trim).

One way to find out would be to log the throttle pedal position and throttle plate sensor. I've done this on my Escape, and it surprised me. First gear launches give full plate opening, but after 1st, it starts limiting torque in various ways. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Sponsored