Sponsored

Why do they have such a hard time deciding to put the 5.0 in?

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ignore feature works great to :)
Unfortunately as a mod I don’t think I’m allowed to ignore people :ROFLMAO:.

Not that I ever have. I like to read everything, even people I disagree with. That’s how you learn.
Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Honestly, I think Ford decided up front, Hey we're going to beat jeep at their own game, and decided not to take the easy route of dropping a V8 in and calling it a day.
It's not really about matching up with Jeep's engine configurations, but matching and beating their power outputs. Ford has made it clear that EcoBoost is the way forward. Ten years ago ask anyone in the world if American truck buyers would accept a turbo 6 in their beloved F150 and you're hear a resounding HELL NO. But here we are, the majority of F150s are turbo 6s and they're selling like crazy. Ford put EcoBoosts in the Raptor and the Ford GT - they're all in. The Mustang gets a V8 because:
1. Legacy
2. Its power needs make a V8 make sense - over 450hp is a good place for a V8

Meanwhile Americans are forced into full-size pickups because these same manufacturers have abandoned the full-size BOF car market.
Ford Bronco Why do they have such a hard time deciding to put the 5.0 in? laughin

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's not really about matching up with Jeep's engine configurations, but matching and beating their power outputs. Ford has made it clear that EcoBoost is the way forward. Ten years ago ask anyone in the world if American truck buyers would accept a turbo 6 in their beloved F150 and you're hear a resounding HELL NO. But here we are, the majority of F150s are turbo 6s and they're selling like crazy. Ford put EcoBoosts in the Raptor and the Ford GT - they're all in. The Mustang gets a V8 because:
1. Legacy

laughing.gif
A lot of it is regulatory as well as @laj.tuxmek said. FCA is ok giving billions of dollars to Tesla to offset their low fleet mileage. Ford I’m sure spends money on credits as well, but they are trying to reduce that as much as possible.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A lot of it is regulatory as well as @laj.tuxmek said. FCA is ok giving billions of dollars to Tesla to offset their low fleet mileage. Ford I’m sure spends money on credits as well, but they are trying to reduce that as much as possible.
I thought the argument was it doesn't matter as much with trucks/SUV's as they are in a different class. Isn't that why it was OK for Ford to get rid of every car except one?

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I thought the argument was it doesn't matter as much with trucks/SUV's as they are in a different class. Isn't that why it was OK for Ford to get rid of every car except one?
There are a couple of different regulations in play. I’m not an expert, but from what I understand the carbon credits that FCA buys are for emissions, not fuel mileage. (Correct me if I’m wrong anyone more in the know.)

The reason that Ford has switched to making Trucks/SUV’s is three main things. One is customer demand, two profit margin, and third is the fuel mileage classification. CAFE standards I believe, which is more relaxed the larger the vehicle footprint. Meaning a bigger vehicle can get worse gas mileage.

Both of these separate but similar issues make V8’s harder to put in vehicles nowadays.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

1. Legacy

Ford Bronco Why do they have such a hard time deciding to put the 5.0 in? laughin
The Bronco also has a legacy of having a V8, which also was something they held over Jeep until the end of Bronco Production.
Don't tell me oh but they came out originally as a 6, thats their legacy.
We all know the engine to get in a Bronco was always the V8

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Can’t agree more!
This Bronco is a daily driver/ off-roader.

If your going to make a trailer warrior that’s killer in the rocks with massive Dana 60s and 40+” tires Then no. The bronco is not for you. But then again neither is the JL wrangler. At that point. Build from scratch or get a OLD Cj.
You guys conceding already for Ford, that was quick (what happened to trouncing jeep on all levels??). Wrangler on 40's is not that radical.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Bronco also has a legacy of having a V8, which also was something they held over Jeep until the end of Bronco Production.
Don't tell me oh but they came out originally as a 6, thats their legacy.
We all know the engine to get in a Bronco was always the V8
You must have missed point 2 ;)

If the Mustang only needed 300hp, it wouldn't be offered with a V8.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Darn jersey laws.... I totally feel ya there. Out here in AZ we can pretty much register anything, as long as it’s got blinkers and headlights lol. I do wish that Ford had followed through on the rumor that it would have the choice of a solid front axle and IFS. They definitely took more of a desert runner theme with it, which personally I’m ok with. But for others I can definitely see how that is disappointing.
I'm OK with the IFS at this point. I'd try out the IFS at first, unless I buy a wrecked rig (highly likely at this point). I can get my mogs in pretty easy though at some point.

It's the engine, especially since I have to smog (unless it is a limited special edition, like Raptor or Shelby, then you can get collector exemption). At least with the 5.0, I can make it big block like and smog legal if mild mods aren't enough.

I'm hoping I can at least get collector insurance. American Modern did my 14 plain old GT about 2 years ago, so there is hope for modern practically new vehicles that are not limited editions. .

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
You must have missed point 2 ;)

If the Mustang only needed 300hp, it wouldn't be offered with a V8.
Your confusing needs with wants.

You don’t need anything other than your two legs, you don’t need a car bigger than a Prius. You don’t need a Bronco.

If we’re going to debate “needs” then we are on the wrong forum.

For some 300HP in their Mustang is enough, clearly the market exists for Mustangs with greater than 300 HP, that Market is so great in fact, Ford has found it necessary to develop 3 different V8 engines for the Mustang.

I find a V8 signficantly more appealing in a Bronco then I ever would in the Mustang. I don’t need a V8, but I also don’t need a Bronco, nor do I need another vehicle, nor do I need to spend my money.

On the other hand Ford is in the business of making money, if they can clear a $5k profit just by offering an engine already in production then they “need” to put it on the market to help their bottom line.

If Ford “wants” me to drop $60k+ then they “need” to satisfy my “wants”.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There are a couple of different regulations in play. I’m not an expert, but from what I understand the carbon credits that FCA buys are for emissions, not fuel mileage. (Correct me if I’m wrong anyone more in the know.)

The reason that Ford has switched to making Trucks/SUV’s is three main things. One is customer demand, two profit margin, and third is the fuel mileage classification. CAFE standards I believe, which is more relaxed the larger the vehicle footprint. Meaning a bigger vehicle can get worse gas mileage.

Both of these separate but similar issues make V8’s harder to put in vehicles nowadays.
My point was the jeep is in a different class than smaller cars, shouldn't need to pay as much for emission credits with a 392.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
CAFE ratings you guys...it's simple. EPA regulations using a harmonic average across the whole fleet.
Next year the 5.0L will have cylinder deactivation, even if it only results in 1 MPG increase it would put it on par with the 3.5TT eco boost.

I’ll also point you to FCA, you can find articles online estimating the amount that CAFE fines cost them per car. To put it lightly it’s inconsequential.
Sponsored