Sponsored

Why do they have such a hard time deciding to put the 5.0 in?

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ugh another why isn't there a V8 thread:

Some facts:

Ford has meet CAFE Fleet regulations that keep getting harder/stricker to meet over time. GM and FCA buy credits from Tesla (which is major reason why they are still in business, because they aren't turning a profit on their car sales) to offset their CAFE issues they have.

Last time I checked over 60-70% of F-150 sales are V6 sales..between the 3.3L, 2.7L and 3.5L Ecoboost engines. I believe at least 50% or better of Mustang sales are Ecoboost I4 engines.

If FCA decides to drop the V8 in a Wrangler, the rumored Warthog setup-the 3.0L Ecoboost PHEV puts out 494HP and 600Ftlb in a non performance tune in the Lincoln Aviator. Your not going to be able to beat the instant torque you can get from an electric motor.
Sponsored

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

For all of the conspiracy theorists out there, I'd like to make it very clear that Ford does not hate V8s and is not forcing V8s out of the lineup. The customer is king and has shown for the last several years that they prefer EcoBoost engines over the V8 in the F-150. The sales numbers don't lie. Ford is not limiting V8 production to kill it. That's not a thing. It is simply reacting to what the market is asking for.

As for a V8 not being offered in a Bronco, there are several reasons. Many people have covered those reasons already, including packaging issues, intended use, etc. However, one thing that is being glossed over is regulatory requirements. EcoBoost engines simply perform better when it comes to CAFE requirements. Sometimes that doesn't translate to actual fuel economy in the real world (depends on your drive cycle and use case), but there is no doubt that EcoBoost engines help CAFE. FCA can stuff a Hellcat motor in everything, but then they have to spend millions of dollars buying emissions credits from Tesla or the like. Different businesses strategies, I guess.
Nice echo LOL

One of the major issues with Ecoboost engines is keeping your foot in them due the power they make...which kills your MPGs LOL

My wifes 2017 Escape gets better MPG than her old 2010 Escape with a V6 in it and its just as fast. The 2.0L has some decent get up and go.

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If they can put the 5.0 into a $35K mainstream car, why are they so hesitant to put it into the Bronco? I never understood this conceptually. Does it not fit or something? I mean it's got a solid real axle, surely the current chasis can easily handle the power without any other modifications. Basically why are pony cars the only place car makers put affordable V8s?
My understanding from Ford is that it does nor fit.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm sure weight has a lot to do with it also.
Honestly not really. The 2.7 being an iron block vs aluminum block coyote means there isn’t a huge difference in weight.

I think Ford just realizes that there isn’t a huge market for it. My dad is 100% the average bronco owner. He’s excited, but doesn’t go on the forums. He’s owned a bronco previously, but doesn’t need the new one to be an exact recreation of that experience. Just one that is an homage to it. And for powertrain, he looked it up and saw that the eco boost 4 banger gets praise and decided that’s all he needs.

He will write a check for it the day it arrives at the dealership no fuss. Unlike V8 purists who will wait for one used, wait for below msrp and special financing, etc. Ford knows what sells. They have a LOT of data on it.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
...EcoBoost engines simply perform better when it comes to CAFE requirements. Sometimes that doesn't translate to actual fuel economy in the real world (depends on your drive cycle and use case), but there is no doubt that EcoBoost engines help CAFE. FCA can stuff a Hellcat motor in everything, but then they have to spend millions of dollars buying emissions credits from Tesla or the like. Different businesses strategies, I guess.
Isn't that what the hybrid was for? The one they aren't bothering to make.

Sponsored

keeph8n

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
As a current mustang owner with a E85 tuned coyote, I'd rather have the 3.5L over the 5.0.

Yeah the sound is better, but thats about it imo

I have yet to drive a 2.7L equipped vehicle, but already have plans for turbos, intake, exhaust, and tune.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

As a current mustang owner with a E85 tuned coyote, I'd rather have the 3.5L over the 5.0.

Yeah the sound is better, but thats about it imo

I have yet to drive a 2.7L equipped vehicle, but already have plans for turbos, intake, exhaust, and tune.
Those mods on E85 are good for 600rwhp for the 2.7. A two door with that power will be tons of fun.

keeph8n

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Those mods on E85 are good for 600rwhp for the 2.7. A two door with that power will be tons of fun.
Sounds about right. With Long Travel and 37s that should be fairly fun in either a 2 door or 4 door

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Your definition of tons of fun is a lot more dangerous than mine ????

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If they can put the 5.0 into a $35K mainstream car, why are they so hesitant to put it into the Bronco? I never understood this conceptually. Does it not fit or something? I mean it's got a solid real axle, surely the current chasis can easily handle the power without any other modifications. Basically why are pony cars the only place car makers put affordable V8s?
F-150 Raptor has a 3.5L V6. I really don't see Ford putting a V8 in a smaller platform.

Sponsored

tokyo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had my heart set on a coyote in my '18 RCSB 4x2.

Then I drove identical configured trucks one with V8 and one with 2.7EB. Everything was the same all the way down to gear ratios.

The 2.7 felt like what I expected the V8 to feel like, nice low end torque, zero turbo lag. If you had earplugs in and someone told you it was the V8 you would believe it. Felt like a twin motorbike.

The V8 felt like what I expected the V6 to feel like.. not much down low but building power as it revved. Fun for onramps but loser in most traffic light drag races unless you rev it and dump the clutch to access some of that high end power. Like an inline 4 sportbike.

Easy decision and I changed my mind and went with the 2.7.

People worry about reliability with "more moving parts" but I don't think there are many more in a twin turbo V6. Turbos themselves are pretty simple and you have 2 less cylinders.

I drive my truck like I stole it.. on the gas all the time lighting up the rears at will and average 20mpg.

It really is surprisingly fast. This drivetrain in a 2 door bronco with similar weight (~4,300 lbs) will be a riot.

I am sure once you drive it your desires for a 5.0 V8 will fade away. Unless its not really about performance but a romantic notion of the past.. which I get.

There is nothing which matches the wail of a V8. I have had many and actually sold a manual trans V8 truck to get this one. Other than the missing the sound I haven't looked back.

In this 2.7 EB 10-speed trans owners opinion this drivetrain is absolutely perfect for the Bronco.

Not to mention adding a tune and what than can bring..

Do yourself a favor. Go down to the local Ford dealer and have him line up 2 identical trucks with only difference being 5.0 and 2.7 and just try it out.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Then I drove identical configured trucks one with V8 and one with 2.7EB. Everything was the same all the way down to gear ratios.

The 2.7 felt like what I expected the V8 to feel like, nice low end torque, zero turbo lag. If you had earplugs in and someone told you it was the V8 you would believe it. Felt like a twin motorbike.

The V8 felt like what I expected the V6 to feel like.. not much down low but building power as it revved. Fun for onramps but loser in most traffic light drag races unless you rev it and dump the clutch to access some of that high end power. Like an inline 4 sportbike.

People worry about reliability with "more moving parts" but I don't think there are many more in a twin turbo V6. Turbos themselves are pretty simple and you have 2 less cylinders.

I drive my truck like I stole it.. on the gas all the time lighting up the rears at will and average 20mpg.

It really is surprisingly fast. This drivetrain in a 2 door bronco with similar weight (~4,300 lbs) will be a riot.

I am sure once you drive it your desires for a 5.0 V8 will fade away. Unless its not really about performance but a romantic notion of the past.. which I get.

There is nothing which matches the wail of a V8. I have had many and actually sold a manual trans V8 truck to get this one. Other than the missing the sound I haven't looked back.

In this 2.7 EB 10-speed trans owners opinion this drivetrain is absolutely perfect for the Bronco.

Do yourself a favor. Go down to the local Ford dealer and have him line up 2 identical trucks with only difference being 5.0 and 2.7 and just try it out.
I agree with this. I only got a 5.0 in my RCSB because I knew I was going to twin turbo it and go for all out performance. I actually almost bought another RCSB last year with the 2.7 just to have a nice daily drive that was also quick. The 2.7 is going to be great in the Bronco and suits its intended purpose.

tokyo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I agree with this. I only got a 5.0 in my RCSB because I knew I was going to twin turbo it and go for all out performance. I actually almost bought another RCSB last year with the 2.7 just to have a nice daily drive that was also quick. The 2.7 is going to be great in the Bronco and suits its intended purpose.
Wow.. twin turbo Coyote in an RCSB.. that thing must be an animal!

Hopefully you go the 4x4 because I don't see how else you could get 900HP to the ground in a 4x2.. I can't seem to keep mine from spinning and it is bone stock!

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's precisely why it's good off road. Predictable linear power, instead of snap your joints and axles surge of torque a couple seconds after touching the throttle.
Have you driven an Ecoboost? The torque doesn’t come up like that. The wastegate modulation is very good and keeps it linear (at least to the seat of my pants). Ecoboost aren’t an electric motor with 100% of the torque available from zero RPM. There is an ever so slight lag but on a trail, in low gear, this would not be noticeable. Side stepping the clutch at 3k may break stuff but when doesn’t that present an issue.

I drive and tow with a 3.5 Ecoboost F150 with a 10-speed which are a great pair. The 10-speeds are fantastic at keeping the motor where it needs to be. I’d love the 10-speed but the wife wants a manual! For instance, the 10-speed coming down Cottowood Pass (12k feet) in CO yesterday, towing our camper plus a bed full of crap, it did fantastic engine braking and kept actual brake use to a minimum.

The other benefit with the turbskis? Less power loss at altitude. That V8 may sound great but it’s only going to get as much air as it can suck at 10k feet.

TFL hit the nail on the head, Ecoboosts are either Eco or Boost?

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base

My only experience with the coyote was my buddy’s 2014 F150 I drove a handful of times. It was totally adequate, but the problem with the coyote is the torque is all up high. 2.7 makes peak torque at 2750 RPM, coyote makes it at 4250. That is an enormous usability difference, since I’d imagine 90% of drivers rarely get above 3500rpm on a day to day.
Sponsored