Sponsored

Why do they have such a hard time deciding to put the 5.0 in?

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Then how about you guys back off a bit on "what I don't need". Especially since the combo you are talking about has not been done, and most of you have not even built a rig like this, ever.

If they came out with a 2.7 with a roots blower, or electric turbocharger, That would be a bit more palatable. Still not ideal, as forced induction eventually brings issues that NA doesn't, but at least it could solve the linear power issue.
I think it’s pretty clear at this point that if you want a hardcore rock crawler, Bronco is not your best starting point.

As I said several months if not years ago, if you want to get really extreme with it you’re better off with a tube buggy anyways. Which is my plan, and leave the Bronco for the moderate trails.
Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Honestly, I think Ford decided up front, Hey we're going to beat jeep at their own game, and decided not to take the easy route of dropping a V8 in and calling it a day.
They decided we'll use similar engines to what Jeep offers so we can say ours our better still.
Now, with Jeep trolling Ford with the 392 ad the day the bronco was unveiled, I feel like Ford was simply waiting for the gauntlet to be thrown down to say "hold my beer"..

People keep preaching ecoboosts as some divine engineering masterpiece. It's a turbocharged inline 4 or v6... Nothing really revolutionary. Those type of engines have existed for ages.
It's all branding. The V8 is not dead, or being killed off. It still serves a purpose, has a support base.

Raptor/warthog/cleveranimalname version of bronco will get a V8 sooner rather than later.
I believe the final gen raptor truck will also get the godzilla engine as a final hurrah.
Hope you are right, but I don't think Ford does it. They will press on with small FI/hybrid/electrics.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think it’s pretty clear at this point that if you want a hardcore rock crawler, Bronco is not your best starting point.

As I said several months if not years ago, if you want to get really extreme with it you’re better off with a tube buggy anyways. Which is my plan, and leave the Bronco for the moderate trails.
Can't register/insure then in Jersey. As illegal as my 79 is, can still technically be registered and insured, in case I need to buzz around the streets to check something out, after repairs lets say.

That and I want an enclosed cab with glass windshield and like something that lightly resembles some kind of orig vehicle. 100's of streetable Wranglers on 40's in my area, but I hate jeeps.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hope you are right, but I don't think Ford does it. They will press on with small FI/hybrid/electrics.
Outside of Tesla and Toyota manufacturers have lost their arse on unsellable EVs and Hybrids for the better part of two decades. Meanwhile Americans are forced into full-size pickups because these same manufacturers have abandoned the full-size BOF car market. I’m fully aware manufacturers are really in their own world behind the times but, this particular case should be obvious to any American.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
How much different is a good rock crawling engine from a good towing engine? Gobs of low end power, up top doesn't matter as much. Right?
Depends on terrain, sometimes when crawling does not work (happens a lot with rigs well over 5K lbs on slippery rocks), you have to get into it. Sometimes you sit and spin, just to heat up the tires, then you can crawl.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Please keep name calling and categorizing people in an insulting manner out of this discussion.
Recent examples in this thread? (looked back, didn't see anything)

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Can't register/insure then in Jersey. As illegal as my 79 is, can still technically be registered and insured, in case I need to buzz around the streets to check something out, after repairs lets say.

That and I want an enclosed cab with glass windshield and like something that lightly resembles some kind of orig vehicle. 100's of streetable Wranglers on 40's in my area, but I hate jeeps.
Darn jersey laws.... I totally feel ya there. Out here in AZ we can pretty much register anything, as long as it’s got blinkers and headlights lol. I do wish that Ford had followed through on the rumor that it would have the choice of a solid front axle and IFS. They definitely took more of a desert runner theme with it, which personally I’m ok with. But for others I can definitely see how that is disappointing.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Please keep name calling and categorizing people in an insulting manner out of this discussion.
I don’t quite understand how using the term “soyboys” is offensive, it’s a valid statement no different than using the word “rednecks” or even “garage monkey”.

No particular person was called a name, and I doubt anyone is so sensitive here to find issue with my statement.

If I generalized about red necks would my post be removed?

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base

Can’t agree more!
This Bronco is a daily driver/ off-roader.

If your going to make a trailer warrior that’s killer in the rocks with massive Dana 60s and 40+” tires Then no. The bronco is not for you. But then again neither is the JL wrangler. At that point. Build from scratch or get a OLD Cj.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don’t quite understand how using the term “soyboys” is offensive, it’s a valid statement no different than using the word “rednecks” or even “garage monkey”.

No particular person was called a name, and I doubt anyone is so sensitive here to find issue with my statement.

If I generalized about red necks would my post be removed?
Frame up is everything. Especially when using a politically charged term such as “soyboy” or “redneck” and referring to a not insignificant portion of this forum as them. There’s no need for broad categorizations and insults. If someone called everyone who wants a V8 a dumb redneck their post would be deleted too.

Discussion is fine, but make your point without personal attacks.

Reactions: bek

dave91gt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250, 1991 Mustang GT, 1992 Mustang LX, 2018 Wrangler JLU, 1998 Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am a big fan of both the ecoboost and the 5.0. They have different driving dynamics and both engine types are powerful.
That said, for myself, a V8 bronco would be on my personal wish list. I had a gen 1 Raptor that I loved. With the MBRP exhaust, the sound and power was suited in my mind to the vehicle.
In 2018, I received a work promotion in which I got a company car. At the time, my daily was the Raptor and my wife had a 2015 Expedition with the 3.5 eco (amazing fit for that vehicle). With the company car addition, we decided to trade both vehicles in and buy a new Raptor for her to drive. So we drove to the dealer and test drove the one that we both agreed on. A ruby red loaded Raptor.
Yes it ran good. In all its ecoboost glory it produced torque nice and fat through the midrange.
But I couldn't convince myself to go from a snarling V8 to the weed eater sounds the Raptor made. She being used to the ecoboost power even looked at me and said it just doesn't sound good. We ended up trading on a loaded Lariat F250 instead.
Nothing wrong with the ecoboost at all. In fact, they deliver power that will amaze. Ours will be a 2.7. But, if a V8 were on the list, Id check that box without hesitation. And I am not alone.
Jeep knows that the Wrangler owners have wanted a V8 for years. They get a lot of good press with the LiteBrite channel and their Hemi swapped JLU. They have pounded that vehicle on trails and drive it all over the place. The HEMI gets almost the same mpg as the 3.6 and has low end torque on the trails that the V6 doesn't. With the deep rumble only the V8 will provide.
I secretly hope Ford in their planning knew Jeep would go down this path to get customers and at least shoehorned a V8 in the framerails to see if it was possible.
And If I am going this far, Id want a simple, small ci V8 based of the Godzilla architecture. Even a 5.0 pushrod motor. Ford came out with a homerun with the 7.3. Its a great design that is proving itself to be very popular with the HD truck crowd.
Ok I'm dreaming.
Ill be happy with the 2.7- just happier with a V8 option.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Frame up is everything. Especially when using a politically charged term such as “soyboy” or “redneck” and referring to a not insignificant portion of this forum as them. There’s no need for broad categorizations and insults. If someone called everyone who wants a V8 a dumb redneck their post would be deleted too.

Discussion is fine, but make your point without personal attacks.
Fair enough.