Sponsored

Why do they have such a hard time deciding to put the 5.0 in?

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As you said, just say you prefer turbo engines and move on,
But I don't! I love V8s.

the facts are not on your side.
Saying wrong things over and over again don't make them true.

In each of these videos, please highlight the time at which the driver experienced non-linear power delivery.

Now let's compare that to a 5.0:

In all cases, what do we see? The torque converter flares to ~2000rpm and the vehicle accelerates in a steady, linear manner.

I've yet to see a stock 2.7 deliver any kind of non-linear power. You're welcome to go and look for it, and best of luck in that endeavor.
Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
But I don't! I love V8s.

In each of these videos, please highlight the time at which the driver experienced non-linear power delivery.

In all cases, what do we see? The torque converter flares to ~2000rpm and the vehicle accelerates in a steady, linear manner.

I've yet to see a stock 2.7 deliver any kind of non-linear power. You're welcome to go and look for it, and best of luck in that endeavor.
This 10000%

Most converters work like this
0-1000 rpm anti stall
1000-2250rpm build up
2250+ Rpm locked

meaning it means NOTHING what’s below 2250 rpm because your not getting max torque.

and GTFO with thermal dynamics and heat transfer. Here’s what matters
How much gas in vs how much MPG and TORQUE out. END.
And statistically the 2.7 is better in every measurable fashion than the 5.0.

yes if you are v8 die hard. More power too you. There’s no changing your mind. But the “the old way was better” has been an argument since cars starting replacing horses

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
But I don't! I love V8s.

First you did zero to 60 tests which hardly account for real world driving.

But your videos make a great point, both the 150+MKXZ climb to redline and shift to the end of the ecoboosts power band; at the RPM it shifts the engine is already on the downside of its torque curve. This compared to the 5.0 which is shifting right into its powerband and maintains healthy output right until redline.

By the time the engine hits 6k the 2.7L has 275lbs of torque vs the 368lbs from the 5.0 at 6k.

Watching your 2.7L video the RPM gauge rockets forward just before 3,400 RPM only to slow down past 4,500, that’s your non linear power.

DetailsMatter

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 340IX M-Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If they can put the 5.0 into a $35K mainstream car, why are they so hesitant to put it into the Bronco? I never understood this conceptually. Does it not fit or something? I mean it's got a solid real axle, surely the current chasis can easily handle the power without any other modifications. Basically why are pony cars the only place car makers put affordable V8s?
Here is a good engineering explanation. I am not saying they could not do it, but with the extra low gear ratios, it seems unnecessary.

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base

But your videos make a great point, both the 150+MKXZ climb to redline and shift to the end of the ecoboosts power band; at the RPM it shifts the engine is already on the downside of its torque curve. This compared to the 5.0 which is shifting right into its powerband and maintains healthy output right until redline.

By the time the engine hits 6k the 2.7L has 275lbs of torque vs the 368lbs from the 5.0 at 6k.

Watching your 2.7L video the RPM gauge rockets forward just before 3,400 RPM only to slow down past 4,500, that’s your non linear power.
who cars about that in a TRUCK. If we were talking sports car and quarter mile times sure.

but where talking a truck/ suv. Where low end torque is key. Used for pulling and hauling and getting over rocks.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
and GTFO with thermal dynamics and heat transfer. Here’s what matters
How much gas in vs how much MPG and TORQUE out. END.
Either we’re going to be scientific or we’re going to function on feelings. I can do the whole but but but, however I would rather point out the facts.

If we’re being scientific your using signficantly more fuel on the ecoboost in boost where all of that torque is than you will on the V8 anywhere on the RPM range.

The “eco” part of the ecoboost is where it acts like a N/A 2.7L with no power. Once it’s in boost there is no more “eco” and along with that there is no torque.

You don’t cruise down the road at 3,000+ RPM on the ecoboost. Your cruising at a much lower RPM where the engine is out of boost.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
who cars about that in a TRUCK. If we were talking sports car and quarter mile times sure.

but where talking a truck/ suv. Where low end torque is key. Used for pulling and hauling and getting over rocks.
I’m not the one that posted 0-60 videos.

Unless your flooring your truck that RPM below 2,200 gets used on normal take offs. Having torque in that range is very nice when off-roading, specifically in low range and trying to feather the throttle.

I don’t need a sudden rush of torque when trying to rock crawl. I don’t think I need to explain why.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco Why do they have such a hard time deciding to put the 5.0 in? FD512AA9-D3F8-41E2-8A79-2226FC228054

again. Torque curve is better on 2.7 vs 5.0
and theres no sudden rush. You torque converter is going to cause more lag than your turbo.
now if your in a manual sure. But the 2.7 doest have a manual sooo.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Mustang has a V8 for the high end torque speed that you virtually can only get in a v8.

People want a v8 f150 for the torque to pull and haul. And let me tell you a secret. The 2.7 makes more low end torque (for the most part). And gets better mpg. That’s why so many more people buy the 2.7 vs 5.0

If the mustang had the 2.7 it wouldn’t sell as well because it would have the top end speed that people want with a mustang.
I'm not sure what "Torque Speed" actually is, but you can get high end power/torque without a V-8. Of course it is hard in ECO's, as they use baseball size turbos. Ever hear of sequential's, built up my first one in 95 (not my car, but I did 90% of the build).

And we just went through this. The 2.7 makes crap for real low end torque, unless you think 3000 RPM is low end, all of a sudden. It's so bad in fact, that even the excuse for a V-8, that ford saddles us with, blows it away.

And let me tell you a not-so-secret. V-8's also have much less power loss @ extreme temps, were heat soak kills turbo engines. Just yet another reason that someone who is going to be slow, technical wheeling (does not have to be rock crawling, could just be a tight forest trail) might want an engine a little more forgiving. Larger NA engines (at similar power levels to an engine half their size) are just under less stress, so have a larger cushion when things go wrong.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford Bronco Why do they have such a hard time deciding to put the 5.0 in? FD512AA9-D3F8-41E2-8A79-2226FC228054

and theres no sudden rush. You torque converter is going to cause more lag than your turbo.
Stop putting up this chart that doesn't match actual dyno's.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
FD512AA9-D3F8-41E2-8A79-2226FC228054.jpeg

There’s a lot of torque being gained in a small RPM range. Do you really want to modulate that much torque with your right foot? How’s about when you have an axle locked?
The 5.0 torque curve is much simpler

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Stop putting up this chart that doesn't match actual dyno's.
ACTUAL DYNOS HAVE TORQUE CONVERTERS
how many times have we been over this?
modern day torque converters don’t lock up until 2500 rpm or so. So the engine torque will be massively different than output torque.

these are based off of flywheel dynos. Not wheel dynos.

the 2.7 hits peak 400lbft around 2700 rpm. its not like 2600 is 0

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I showed how pointless it is to care about what happens below 2000rpm, which some people seem to keep caring about.

Hahahaha, first it was all about how V8s make way better linear power from idle to 2000rpm, and now all of a sudden it's about maintaining power above 5000rpm?

Ford Bronco Why do they have such a hard time deciding to put the 5.0 in? goalposts

Monster79

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Stang, 07'F150, 23',96',93',79'Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ACTUAL DYNOS HAVE TORQUE CONVERTERS
how many times have we been over this?
modern day torque converters don’t lock up until 2500 rpm or so. So the engine torque will be massively different than output torque.

these are based off of flywheel dynos. Not wheel dynos.

the 2.7 hits peak 400lbft around 2700 rpm. its not like 2600 is 0
You know whats hilarious, on my screen you are literally arguing with yourself lmao. It's a great thing, keep at em' lol (y)
Sponsored