Sponsored

Why does badlands have the Baja goat mode if it was not designed for high speed off-roading? (No HOSS 3.0)?

Mdsuits

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 f350, 68 bronco 89 samurai
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 22 badlands and it does come with Baja mode. It's why I asked, since I've read on these forums that Baja mode was more suited for the wild track or raptor.
You are correct sir. I forgot it was sport I added. Lol

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So it looks there IS a dedicated Sand mode and it's in every trim along with Baja mode in badlands, wild track and first edition.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/attachments/a1257c87-4f78-48a7-92a1-6f55545d0b9f-png-png.146144/
Right.
First, I think that the mode/gearing differences (especially those in 2H, 4H, and AWD) among trim levels are minimal. For example, I see minimal mpg difference between "Eco" and "Normal"--but I don't have "Sport" to compare. No do I feel major differences when I'm in rockcrawl vs 4L/normal. I'm open to more knowledgeable people explaining if this is otherwise. Ford's logic is that some off-road modes call for different shift points. As a certified (or certifiable?) old fart, I'm an old gearhead, and am used to selecting my shift points on the basis of need, situation, and feel. But fewer people these days have that experience, so automakers do the thinking for you.

My point for this follow-up post is that different models are "geared" (pun intended) more towards some off-road applications (and enthusiasts) than others, and GVW is an important factor. Consider that the engineers have to balance out the vehicle's weight, its cargo capabilities; throw in towing capacity and you have another major variable.

The Badlands has the swaybar disconnect--very handy for serious trail driving. Not needed or available on the Wildtrak.

I think Ford got it right: a major product line with enough minor differentiation to appeal to purists, and provide extensive options variations to entice buyers to up-step their model selections. They are in business to make money, after all.)

A personal note: My first off-roading was in the Sonora Desert with International Scouts (three sticks!) in 1965--a geological research outfit. I never got back to it for sixty (!!) years (did trucking, law enforcement, all sorts of behind-the-wheel stuff), until I put in an order for a Badlands/non-Sas. But a dealer's cancellation for a Badlands/Lux/Sas came in, and I grabbed it--at very high dealer markup. I splurged on that beauty, and haven't regretted a thing since.

Check out this thread, with special attention to the charts on the first post. Lots of good info.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ilability-for-each-model-trim-projected.2521/

Last point: neverowneda4x4, you've got a great vehicle. Take the Off-Roadeo orientation course (at Moab, if possible). Learn, go out and (responsibly!) enjoy!

Sponsored

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Badlands are still quite good at high speed. I've had mine over 60 on sand flats.
I got mine up to 55 on Cape Cod National Seashore. Donuts, too. (Don't tell the National Park Service!)

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Should one ever wish to verify that sand is not "slippery" try using it as a lubricant. ;)
If you ever want to verify that sand is indeed slippery, just go to hard-packed dunes in Iraq and let that thin layer of wind-blown sand marbles whisk you away, haha.

Or sand dune surfing uses it as a lubricant of sorts... especially if you wipeout! Involuntary sand lube job

OP
OP
Neverowneda4x4

Neverowneda4x4

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Right.
First, I think that the mode/gearing differences (especially those in 2H, 4H, and AWD) among trim levels are minimal. For example, I see minimal mpg difference between "Eco" and "Normal"--but I don't have "Sport" to compare. No do I feel major differences when I'm in rockcrawl vs 4L/normal. I'm open to more knowledgeable people explaining if this is otherwise. Ford's logic is that some off-road modes call for different shift points. As a certified (or certifiable?) old fart, I'm an old gearhead, and am used to selecting my shift points on the basis of need, situation, and feel. But fewer people these days have that experience, so automakers do the thinking for you.

My point for this follow-up post is that different models are "geared" (pun intended) more towards some off-road applications (and enthusiasts) than others, and GVW is an important factor. Consider that the engineers have to balance out the vehicle's weight, its cargo capabilities; throw in towing capacity and you have another major variable.

The Badlands has the swaybar disconnect--very handy for serious trail driving. Not needed or available on the Wildtrak.

I think Ford got it right: a major product line with enough minor differentiation to appeal to purists, and provide extensive options variations to entice buyers to up-step their model selections. They are in business to make money, after all.)

A personal note: My first off-roading was in the Sonora Desert with International Scouts (three sticks!) in 1965--a geological research outfit. I never got back to it for sixty (!!) years (did trucking, law enforcement, all sorts of behind-the-wheel stuff), until I put in an order for a Badlands/non-Sas. But a dealer's cancellation for a Badlands/Lux/Sas came in, and I grabbed it--at very high dealer markup. I splurged on that beauty, and haven't regretted a thing since.

Check out this thread, with special attention to the charts on the first post. Lots of good info.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ilability-for-each-model-trim-projected.2521/

Last point: neverowneda4x4, you've got a great vehicle. Take the Off-Roadeo orientation course (at Moab, if possible). Learn, go out and (responsibly!) enjoy!
Thanks for the post. I went to the Nevada one and it was packed with snow. Pretty fun and informative. I am super careful with my badlands since its also my daily, so i like to ask questions about capabilities and such.

My bronco is also a non sasquatch 7MT so sometimes i have to ask additional questions to determine whether certain info applies to my model, my trim, or whether statements made on here are just hyperbole/ bs. Thanks again.

C00TER

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Badlands doesn’t come with Baja mode but you can add it with forscan. And the badlands does great with the stock bilstiens at high speed…it is a blast. It mainly holds the gears longer so your can get the rpms up….
Wrong answer
Badlands does come stock with Baja mode and to answer the original question
Ford was trying to make the wildtrak appeal to the market
Back in 2021 and 2022 the badlands was the superior rig, until ford saved the wildtrak from going to the wayside by adding the 3.0 suspension….

Sponsored

Mdsuits

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 f350, 68 bronco 89 samurai
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wrong answer
Badlands does come stock with Baja mode and to answer the original question
Ford was trying to make the wildtrak appeal to the market
Back in 2021 and 2022 the badlands was the superior rig, until ford saved the wildtrak from going to the wayside by adding the 3.0 suspension….
Yes I know….if you read farther down I corrected myself….

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Putting it in Baja and manually back into 2H makes it behave like sport mode.
Sport also activates 4A unless you manually change it. Difference between Sport and Baja? Beats me. There’s a chart floating around out there somewhere. But I don’t really use GOAT modes that often (except Sport every now and then when next to a Jeep at a stop light)

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So what is different about Baja goat mode and the slippery (sand and snow) goat mode? Sorry, I'm not an experienced off roader.
I was just out doing some high speed test runs in deep sand.

2' of soft stuff. I had the very same question between Sand and Baja..

Very basic results:

Baja is better for shallow sand and other loose surfaces as it keeps the RPMs a bit higher and you end up losing a lot of traction in deep sand.

Sand Mode is more conservative but that results in a lot more control in deep loose sand.. You'll go faster and use less gas, which is nice. I burned through over a quarter tank of gas in about 30-45 minutes doing a few high speed runs.

You'll get to 50 in less time in Baja Mode, but that's as fast as you'll go as you'll have too little traction to go any faster.

In Sand Mode, I could top out at about 65 if I really smashed it into the floor. Potential for a bit more speed there but deep sand turns to glass.. No steering at all and its a windy wash.

This is Baja Mode, so about 50-53mph. Just couldn't get any more traction to go faster..

No video, but this pretty much lines up with how it handled in snow last winter. Sand mode worked best for 1' or so of powder.

This is a 21' Badlands 2.7 but I'm running an Icon Stage 6 on 37s with the HOSS 3.0 rack etc.

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unless they changed something for ‘23 it does not. I had to add it to my ‘22 via forscan
I guess they changed something for YOUR Badlands, then, as my 2023 Badlands - built in March of 2023 - definitely does have Baja mode. Are you sure you have a Badlands?
Sponsored