Sponsored

Why does every dealership have so many Badlands and Wildtraks?

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’m so happy that I got mine when interest rates were low and I had a ton of equity in my grade in. Makes the payment for my preferred Bronco far more palatable. I can’t imagine a payment of 8-900 or more a month.
Sponsored

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think there's a couple contributing factors.
1- as mentioned - some people cashed out on their dream build to pocket $10-$15k by selling a well-equipped build back to the dealer, so the dealer could try to mark it up $25k
2- I think most people who are willing to buy from a dealer are probably not looking for the 'dream build' - they're willing to take something like a Big Bend or an Outer Banks because the most they'll ever do is cruise the Trader Joe's parking lot - so the more hardcore builds like Badlands and Wildtrack are going to continue to sit on the lots with their ridiculous markups
Respectfully disagree on both points.
1) Nobody's going to "sell back" his Bronco to the dealer. The dealer is going to force the customer to either follow through on the order, or abandon it and get his deposit refunded. How much each dealer tacks on over the MSRP is his decision, based on his take of his market.
2) You're right to bring up "the dream build," but I think people over-enthusiastically ordered high-end Broncos, only to reconsider and have their enthusiasm wane (1) as the order+wait game got frustrating and (2) as the economy (interest rates especially) soured. Covid (2019-2021) was one thing, but this inflation with a recession (2022->?)increasingly likely is quite another.

Thus, more high-end Broncos in the national inventory.

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, agreed. I also think they're getting build or completed in cycles, when I got my BL there were almost none around except the V6 Sas, but there were a ton of Outer Banks models. Now, it switches, which kinda makes sense with winter coming and people buying bigger because of "needing it for the snow."

I'll be honest, I want Chicago to get a blizzard really bad this year :D

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Lost interest? Nearly 1,400 posts on a Bronco enthusiast forum?
Yup, bought a different vehicle in May. Held my 99’d reservation until the deadline. I’m a Ford guy, still have 2 and will have more. Just grew tired of the wait.

Sponsored

WKT

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350, 1983 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
After finding out last week that my obx was built wrong, I started looking to see what dealers had on the lots.

99% of the Badlands had 2.3’s, I’m assuming it was the only way they could get one built without waiting, with 5-10k markups.

Every Wildtrack was marked up 10-20k, one dealer I called had two Wildtracks both marked up 13.5k and was an arrogant ass, I told him if I had to pay that kind of admin I would just go buy a Jeep.

Most of the people that could afford to pay the ridiculous admin markups have already bought Broncos, which is why I believe your starting to see the higher priced BL & WT sitting the on dealer lots with the big admins. 55-60k broncos with 10-20k mark ups = 70k & up price tags.

Most of what I see still selling quick at our dealers are 40k broncos with wheels, tires, 2“ spacer lift being sold by the dealers for 50k price tags.

It is a lot easier for most people to afford 50 vs 70+ if their not going to be seriously off-roading it.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bl and wt were the highest markups before the pig. Lot of people ordered them in hopes of making big money or having a top of the line bronco. Big money started falling out last month and interest rates took off. Now we have an influx of overpriced vehicles most cannot afford. Also a lot of dealers had friends order to stock the lot.

Had a former friend who turned out to be a flipper. He had a lighting, wt, and bl on order. Bl showed up first. He sold that on eBay for 89k. 2 door school bus orange bl.

Seatmandan

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '11 Ford Edge, '10 Ford Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It will be interesting to see how the economy, interest rates and company reductions affect the overall market in the next couple years. All kinds of items will probably be more plentiful when demand drops. I think that the fed will take further steps to cool things off.
"Company reductions"? huh??!? I don't see the connection.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"Company reductions"? huh??!? I don't see the connection.
Think they’re referring to the 10’s of thousands getting laid off by big companies that were the typical middle income family’s that would be looking at vehicles in this price range.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

A local used car stealership has well over 20 Broncos for sale all with >20K ADM. Most are 4 door floppy tops. But I doubt these were abandoned orders. These are TV show Dolphins for sure in action. I doubt most people that had two reservations actually planned on owning two. Meanwhile, back at the ranch…..

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In my region OBX rule the lots. WT are arriving but they are customer orders that are being followed through. The dealer where I obtained my BL order has consistently marked $5K over sticker for abandoned orders. My observation for this area is the WT and BL buyers follow through with the purchase.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In my region OBX rule the lots. WT are arriving but they are customer orders that are being followed through. The dealer where I obtained my BL order has consistently marked $5K over sticker for abandoned orders. My observation for this area is the WT and BL buyers follow through with the purchase.
That’s pretty much the same I’m seeing by me in Michigan.

Seatmandan

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '11 Ford Edge, '10 Ford Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yes. Also, this “workforce reduction “ doesn’t seem to have affected Duper Duty orders/sales for the month of November.. Records were set lol

Rrehder

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So... this is what happens when a company reintroduces a beloved vehicle. Most orders are customer orders. And customer orders are generally far more "enthusiast" in their configuration.

So, a LOT of 2-doors get ordered, and a lot of Stick Shifts get ordered, and 30% of orders were Wildtracks and if you add Badlands and Wildtrack together they were actually just over half of orders.

So between higher interest rates, people ordering much more expensive vehicles than they could actually afford, and simply buying something else in the TWO YEARS they had to wait... You are going to see quite a bit more Badlands and Wildtrack abandoned orders than one might ordinarily expect.
As an anecdote I was offered 2 abandoned hardtop badlands orders from my dealer in the last 30 days. Sadly I just missed out in the second one that was nearly what I intend to order next year because I was out of town.
Sponsored